What's new

Barrister & Mann Night Music

So my jars just arrived and I spent a couple of minutes sniffing the puck and doing a test lather to get a good impression of the scent. I'm a fragrance lover/reviewer and really enjoy deconstructing fragrances - bear with me lol:

First, the presentation is fantastic for an artisan soap. After opening the box, the soap was nestled in a bag that resembled fishnet stockings. The wrapping paper was jet black and sealed with a red heart. In the box was a couple of samples of a product called "Barrister's Reserve Classic Splash" which I'm not familiar with, and the finishing touch was the inclusion of a small pack of Sweethearts candies. Lovely! Anyway, on to the scent...

I think this is great stuff, however it surely won't be for everyone. The notes on the front of the label are 100% accurate to what I detect in this scent. I get tons of vanilla and animalic musks (not white musks which resemble something clean - animalic musks are more raunchy). Behind these notes is a powdery accord (the iris, obviously) that is mixed with the acidic edge of bergamot (very light in here IMO) and a slight fruity accord that comes from the blending of iris and strawberry. To me this is not a strawberry forward scent, but the note is detectible (it contrasts the heady blast of vanilla and musks). The scent isn't feminine per se, though it does remind me of Guerlain's Shalimar. Instead it really does come across as an extremely raunchy Valentine's Day fragrance - all in all I'd say that the name, scent, and marketing was spot on. As some of you know, vanilla is supposedly an aphrodisiac. This heavy vanilla plus the animalic musks and fruity accents is quite sensual - even dirty - in nature.

Overall, I like the scent very much, but then again, I love my animalic fragrances. For those that are considering buying the last of this soap, I should reiterate that the scent is quite daring/raunchy and won't be for everyone.

Personally though, I can't wait to use it in a proper shave :D.

Two additional observations from another pair of test lathers:

1. The Glissant base is awesome and feels very slick, protective, and moisturizing. If you haven't yet tried Glissant, you should. It's one of the better artisan soap formulations IMO.

2. The vanilla here is in such high concentration that it causes the soap to look very dark in color. This isn't a bad thing for performance, but I suspect it will annoy people with nice brushes because the dark coloring might be hard to wash out. Simply because of the color, I'll be using this with a $12 Semogue so it's no big deal to me, but I wouldn't personally use this soap with my silvertips or Antica Barbieria Colla extra white boar. I'm not entirely sure yet, but there is a chance that the darkened vanilla could be discoloring or at least very difficult to remove.

Last edited:
I've been wearing this on my arm for a couple hours. I think the reviews above are spot on. This is not for everyone. It's giving me a lot to consider. Complex, musky, a little sweet.

Oh, and it smells a little sweeter, warmer (vanilla), and less musky on my nanny. Different chemistry I guess

And to note, the label is AWESOME! Anyone notice the ingredients are the flip-side of the lid? Clever packaging

I plan on ordering it as well. Should I go through their site our through another vendor? I only ask because I am unsure as to where to purchase it from.
The B&M site lists retailers who currently have it. including Amazon and Pasteur's. I would think either will be 10% or more below the B&M site's price.

I've been wearing this on my arm for a couple hours. I think the reviews above are spot on. This is not for everyone. It's giving me a lot to consider. Complex, musky, a little sweet.

Oh, and it smells a little sweeter, warmer (vanilla), and less musky on my nanny. Different chemistry I guess

I really enjoyed the shave with Night Music today. The scent is not for everyone, but I'm guessing that many fragrance fanatics (like myself) will enjoy it :).

I really enjoyed the shave with Night Music today. The scent is not for everyone, but I'm guessing that many fragrance fanatics (like myself) will enjoy it :).

I will pair it myself with a layering of Noir de Noir (lots of Vanilla, Rose) and Tuscan Leather (Leather, Raspberry). I havent smell the soap yet (should arrive tomorrow), but I believe this combo will pair fairly well.

I will pair it myself with a layering of Noir de Noir (lots of Vanilla, Rose) and Tuscan Leather (Leather, Raspberry). I havent smell the soap yet (should arrive tomorrow), but I believe this combo will pair fairly well.

I think you'll find that both would be brilliant pairings with this soap. It really matches the vibe of each of those Private Blend scents.

Let us know how you like it :). A couple of friends of mine who just got this soap have already told me that they really enjoy it also, and both are Basenotes fragheads.

I surely will! Performance wise I already know im gonna love it, since its the same base as Fireside.

And if a few other fragheads like it already, I guess there is a big chance im gonna like it! Hopefully it arrives tomorrow, but knowing USPS, it might take until thursday for it to arrive.

I surely will! Performance wise I already know im gonna love it, since its the same base as Fireside.

And if a few other fragheads like it already, I guess there is a big chance im gonna like it! Hopefully it arrives tomorrow, but knowing USPS, it might take until thursday for it to arrive.

Prepare yourself for a huge blast of animalic musks and vanilla. Great stuff! It's funny that you mentioned the Tom Ford scents. I wouldn't have thought of pairing them, but since you mentioned those two I'm excited to do so :D. I'll probably be using Night Music with some Noir de Noir tomorrow. Roses, chocolate, and a raunchy shave scent. AWESOME :).

Prepare yourself for a huge blast of animalic musks and vanilla. Great stuff! It's funny that you mentioned the Tom Ford scents. I wouldn't have thought of pairing them, but since you mentioned those two I'm excited to do so :D. I'll probably be using Night Music with some Noir de Noir tomorrow. Roses, chocolate, and a raunchy shave scent. AWESOME :).

Sounds very exciting indeed!

Will, the mastermind behind B&M, is a lawyer. He actually started the company while he was still in law school. His last name is not Mann, though. I'm not sure where that part of the name came from.

The questioner was basically correct. Barrister because his degree's in law, as well as a tip of the hat to the important English influence in traditional shaving, and "Mann" does indeed refer to its being a mainly male-oriented business. The name is probably too "on the nose" for Will Carius' tastes and talents today, but I sense that when he started out he didn't have a clue about how successful the company would someday become, and the name just worked well enough at the time.

DGI

To those who have it, do you guys think it's worth it? Worth not only the price but also worth waiting for it?

If you like raunchy scents then maybe. I for one hated both scents. Can't believe anyone would actually like it. I knew it would happen when he said "raunchy". You either love otr hate it.

If you like raunchy scents then maybe. I for one hated both scents. Can't believe anyone would actually like it. I knew it would happen when he said "raunchy". You either love otr hate it.

Thanks for the insight mate, I appreciate it. I have Lavanille just came in the mail literally 5 minutes ago, it smells delicious.. well I'm kinda hungry but.. yeah.. I'm not sure it's worth 25 bucks though, I haven't tested it yet. Pretty excited.

Top Bottom