What's new

Barrister & Mann Night Music

I will pair it myself with a layering of Noir de Noir (lots of Vanilla, Rose) and Tuscan Leather (Leather, Raspberry). I havent smell the soap yet (should arrive tomorrow), but I believe this combo will pair fairly well.

Nice one. Tom Ford's Noir De Noir is a scent I have really been wanting to try!

Thanks for the insight mate, I appreciate it. I have Lavanille just came in the mail literally 5 minutes ago, it smells delicious.. well I'm kinda hungry but.. yeah.. I'm not sure it's worth 25 bucks though, I haven't tested it yet. Pretty excited.
Lavanille is earthy but not musky, so I think there might be plenty of guys that like Lavanille that can't stand Night Music. if you don't know what musk smells like, or if you've smelled musk and found it unpleasant, I'd probably steer clear.

Lavanille is earthy but not musky, so I think there might be plenty of guys that like Lavanille that can't stand Night Music. if you don't know what musk smells like, or if you've smelled musk and found it unpleasant, I'd probably steer clear.

Quite right. This does have a heavy vanilla component, but I expect the animalic musk (as opposed to white musk, which smells clean and fresh) will be surprising to people. I'm used to it since I like fragrances such as Roja Dove's Musk Aoud, but not everyone will like it. On the other hand, some men tend to really enjoy that animalic side of musk.

To those who have it, do you guys think it's worth it? Worth not only the price but also worth waiting for it?

Had I known how much I enjoy it I probably would have bought a second. For me it's one of those "if you could only choose one soap..." soaps.

DGI

Last edited:
Had I known how much I enjoy it I probably would have bought a second. For me it's one of those "if you could only choose one soap..." soaps.

DGI

How's the performance? really good? My favorite right now is Catie's never tried B&M although I had Lavanille delivered yesterday.

How's the performance? really good? My favorite right now is Catie's never tried B&M although I had Lavanille delivered yesterday.

The new Glissant base is a top performer. It's easy to lather under even hard water conditions, is very slick and heavy on the cushion, and has a great post-shave feel. If you don't care for this scent profile, make sure to try the Glissant base in a different scent.

Got mine Yesterday! SHaved with it this morning. Best shave I have gotten this week, by far. I have already tried the glissant base on fireside and I believe this base is absolutely incredible. The scent? Its definitely very dark and feral, which I adore!! I get a lot of vanilla and musk with a a bare hinf of Strawberry. I can't really detech much bergamot nor iris. This is a Valentine's Day Soap for sure (or romantic date soap). My thoguhts about pairing it with Noir de Noir were correct, as it really pairs with this fragrance (which is also called a Valentine's Day Fragrance by many enthusiasts). I'm really happy I got it and will use it again on Sunday for the wife. :001_rolle

Another note, the lather was very very brown, which I dont mind since I used a syntehtic but users might want to be careful with their expensive badger brushes. I have heard the brown lather just lasts for the first couple shaves, so It might not be so big of an issue at all.

Well, got my Night Music soap and aftershave last night, and while I haven't yet had a chance for an actual shave with it, I did spend some time gathering my thoughts on the scent. (Not bloomed, just straight from the tub.)
I don't love it.
I don't hate it.
I'm intrigued by it. I think it balances nicely, the dark & dirty against the bright & sweet. Either scent as a soap on it's own, the musks or the sweets, I wouldn't care for at all but they do work well together to create a unique and interesting overall scent profile.
It's enough to have me eagerly anticipating a leisurely shave with it soon.
I think (hope) this will fall into the section of my den where I keep CF Midnight Stag, MLS Drunken Goat, PAA Beach - interesting and unique "fun" scents. While I don't use them on a regular rotation, I do enjoy using them periodically when I'm feeling for something a bit out of the ordinary.
So yeah, I think I'll be keeping this and pretty happy with the decision to purchase it.

When I see comments like "animal," "feral," "musky," its definitely going to be a pass from me if I cannot get a sample of it. For $25 bones, no WAY I would purchase something like that without smelling it first. I think I saw wet animal used to describe this elsewhere, thats not my cup of tea.

I have a hard enough time breaking in boar brushes and that smell they add to my lather until they lose it. Glad many of you gentlemen are enjoying it.

Do you all think it is worth $25 for a four ounce non triple milled soap though? Thats the real question.

I'm relatively new to the soap game and have bought many B&M soaps and enjoy them. However, the pricing of his newer releases is beginning to make me pause. I'm on sabbatical for the year and so I'm hoping to really dig into the collection of soap I've amassed and try to figure out if buying a lot of B&M is "worth it" to me.

At the end of the day, I expect I'll always have some on hand. In addition, I assume that even the higher priced soaps are an affordable luxury. As a person who occasionally pays $3.75 for a cup of milk and a little ground coffee (aka a medium latte), I feel as if I can probably absorb the expense.

I'm relatively new to the soap game and have bought many B&M soaps and enjoy them. However, the pricing of his newer releases is beginning to make me pause. I'm on sabbatical for the year and so I'm hoping to really dig into the collection of soap I've amassed and try to figure out if buying a lot of B&M is "worth it" to me.

At the end of the day, I expect I'll always have some on hand. In addition, I assume that even the higher priced soaps are an affordable luxury. As a person who occasionally pays $3.75 for a cup of milk and a little ground coffee (aka a medium latte), I feel as if I can probably absorb the expense.

I'm in the same boat, sabbatical and all ... especially the price. I think $40-ish is my limit on a soap and A/S combo (Leviathan)

I'm eager to try his new base ... but with seven different B&M soaps currently, not sure I can justify adding more soap to the collection. The only tub of soap I've ever finished is last year's Leviathan (think I've finished a stick of Arko and a stick of LaToja too). I definitely do not need more soap, despite my wants

When I see comments like "animal," "feral," "musky," its definitely going to be a pass from me if I cannot get a sample of it. For $25 bones, no WAY I would purchase something like that without smelling it first. I think I saw wet animal used to describe this elsewhere, thats not my cup of tea.

I have a hard enough time breaking in boar brushes and that smell they add to my lather until they lose it. Glad many of you gentlemen are enjoying it.

Do you all think it is worth $25 for a four ounce non triple milled soap though? Thats the real question.

Definitely you should avoid it if you don't like animalic scents. I find them gorgeous if they are done well, but they are definitely an acquired taste.

Your question about price is very interesting, so I'll address it by being a smidge philosophical. In terms of "value" (i.e., price per use), I suppose it isn't worth it. However, specifically in the case of fragranced products such as soaps or perfumes, I don't find it very easy to translate value in such a straightforward way. For instance, I can smell reasonably nice with a $20/100 ml bottle of cologne. On the other hand, I find certain fragrances that are around $500/50 ml to be infinitely more worthwhile. They are much, much more beautiful to me, and therefore more "valuable" in my own personal estimation. Would I get better practical mileage from the $20 product? Probably. But sometimes you just have to pay for the art.

I'm in the same boat, sabbatical and all ... especially the price. I think $40-ish is my limit on a soap and A/S combo (Leviathan)

I'm eager to try his new base ... but with seven different B&M soaps currently, not sure I can justify adding more soap to the collection. The only tub of soap I've ever finished is last year's Leviathan (think I've finished a stick of Arko and a stick of LaToja too). I definitely do not need more soap, despite my wants

This is interesting...your comment about only finishing one tub of soap. I have been wondering how many soaps go unused or underused in B&B members' shave dens. I have acquired a few soaps (Mike's, Arko, Tabac, Proraso) over the last few weeks, and I am certain they would last me a couple of years, at least. Knowing this, I am still interested in purchasing more. I guess I am not alone!

To put it in perspective, I only "returned" to traditional wet shaving for just under two years now. My wiki lists all of the soaps I currently have -- 14 total, three shaving sticks (two of which are roughly half gone), seven B&M tubs and a handful of others. Aside from one stick of Arko and another of La Toja, the tub of Leviathan is the ONLY one I've finished.

In that light, I have soap for years, even though my list of soaps pales in comparison to others here.

The soap addiction is a strong one around here ... even only about six weeks into this year's sabbatical there are things I want to order. It's crazy. And once you discover pairing soap with the matching A/S it gets spendy :) and you acquire the secondary addiction.

That said ... I've never had a bad experience with B&M and in fact, my experience has only gotten better as I lather it better and better and then complete the cycle with the matching A/S. I'm a big fan of Will's

I like CB soaps but B&M soaps are mostly tallow-based and that makes all the difference in the world. The performance of Night Music is, in a word, unsurpassed. Unless there's something in your water that would affect it, I don't think it's possible to criticize the slickness or the protection of this soap. B&M soaps are consistently great, but they do vary in performance slightly. I own about a dozen B&M soaps and this is right at the top. Many have praised the new "Glissant" base. My only other experience with it was in its first application, with their "Le Grand Chypre". I frankly didn't think it quite measured up, but that was probably due to other components of the soap.

Incidentally, Lavanille is, all around, my favorite shaving soap in terms of overall aesthetics. I must say that Night Music comes close, and probably delivers a tad better performance.

DGI

I like CB soaps but B&M soaps are mostly tallow-based and that makes all the difference in the world. The performance of Night Music is, in a word, unsurpassed. Unless there's something in your water that would affect it, I don't think it's possible to criticize the slickness or the protection of this soap. B&M soaps are consistently great, but they do vary in performance slightly. I own about a dozen B&M soaps and this is right at the top. Many have praised the new "Glissant" base. My only other experience with it was in its first application, with their "Le Grand Chypre". I frankly didn't think it quite measured up, but that was probably due to other components of the soap.

Incidentally, Lavanille is, all around, my favorite shaving soap in terms of overall aesthetics. I must say that Night Music comes close, and probably delivers a tad better performance.

DGI

I really liked Lavanille too, and the performance and post shave feel is fantastic. Is Lavanille glissant as well?

I really liked Lavanille too, and the performance and post shave feel is fantastic. Is Lavanille glissant as well?

Not the one I have, which I've had for some time. But I've read that it was or is being reformulated - same fragrance concept, different base. I'm not sure if what's currently on sale is that.

DGI

Not the one I have, which I've had for some time. But I've read that it was or is being reformulated - same fragrance concept, different base. I'm not sure if what's currently on sale is that.

DGI

Bought mine pretty recently but I'm not sure either. Maybe they haven't released the glissant Lavanille yet, been trying to look it up as well. Either way it performs amazingly well, and to think Night Music can top that is awesome indeed. I'm happy with one tub though, it is pretty pricey.

Still have lots of soaps to try. :)

Top Bottom