What's new

your favorite 1k and or bevel setter

Glad to hear, the 1500 pro was the upgrade from the King 1000 I was looking for, it keeps my razors and knives happy, it's a workhorse. I hope you enjoy it.

Nope, that's why I have all three. 2k is 1/2 the grit of 1K. I use them in progression. I can get HHT off the 2K easily. I sold my Nortons and Naniwas. Loves me some Shapton Pros. I got 6 of them in my progression. I finish on a Suehiro G20 (0.5 micron).

Yeah I totally would get the 1k-2k if I was planning on using any of my other synthetic stones. I really love the feeling of the natural coti. I can set a bevel on my cotis but I just wanted something fast for ebay blades. They will go straight to the coticule after 1.5k. And finished on my slower coti. Once I get a really fast coticule I will eliminate the 1.5k so I will be completely shaving off natural. I am thinking of getting rid of all my synths to fund my hunt for an ultra fast coti. Unless I find another job job for them. Maybe my knives? Who knows maybe someday I'll decide to go back to synthetic stones. I always want to get rid of things but I never can! I like options.

Glad to hear, the 1500 pro was the upgrade from the King 1000 I was looking for, it keeps my razors and knives happy, it's a workhorse. I hope you enjoy it.

Good to know! It's nice having everyone here to help with decisions. That way I don't have to buy everything to find things out the hard way.

I have not tried the 1500 pro but read in a German forum that it clogged too quickly and then removes nothing more. That's why it is not suitable for razor. Could this be?

I have not tried the 1500 pro but read in a German forum that it clogged too quickly and then removes nothing more. That's why it is not suitable for razor. Could this be?
For general knife/razor maintenance I've not found clogging an issue, you may not get on with the stone but the stone cuts.'Not suitable for a razor' sounds extreme, being not to someone's preference sounds more in line.

Well, lets see, I have honed around 100 razors on mine and I would say they work pretty good on razors. I REALLY don't get the "they get clogged" or "they stop cutting". I can grind the spine off a Gold Dollar in nothing flat on a SP 1K and spritz it with a little water and it's clean as a whistle and ready to go again. Whoever is telling you this is not using the stones I have. YMMV

Clogging? Well it is ceramic. Alot of people who sharpen knives use ceramic hones dry. Maybe that's why. Water is what stops hones from "clogging". The members I trust strongly believe this stone is one of the best bevel setters so I know I can trust that. Especially when they favor it to the chosera. Not to say I've tried either, both have been highly regarded as top bevel setting stones. I'm sure they are both great.

Last edited:
It's going to be fine. My M15 1k gets used for a coticule stand if I am using my coti like a bench stone, and gets covered in garnets and swarf. I just spritz it off into a basin and use it that way, I figure any extra abrasives they can't hurt. I've never had a clogging issue.

Another major factor that might be playing into the clogging is what the stones are lapped with. My diamond plates are all pretty whipped from being used on some extremely hard natural stones, so when I lap the 1k Pro it is quite "closed" and clogs up pretty fast. It's better to lap synthetics with a fresher diamond plate, they cut much better. Most of the time I need to use a smidge of slurry to jump start the 1k Pro if I want to use it for a razor. I need to pick up a new diamond plate before too long.

All serene, has a little surprised because there are countless positive reports about the 1500 pro.

Last edited:
I've been using the 1k C and 1.5k Shapton Pro side by side for a while now... anyone saying the 1.5k Shapton Pro is prone to loading needs to learn how to hone.
It's not 'prone to clogging'. In fact, it loads less than the 1k C does.

The 1k Shapton loads a bit - but it's more like a 700x-800x stone compared to the Naniwas, so it's going to take off more metal. Feedback on the 1k Pro is crunchy, less pleasant, and it's softer than the 1.5k. It's a good cutter but not as capable of refining the bevel as the 1.5k. I'd say the Nani 800x C/Pro is a way way better option, in speed and consistency, in that spot.

The SP 2k is nice, but superfluous to me with the 1.5k and 5k on hand. It doesn't do anything the 1.5k doesn't do and the 5k Pro follows it impeccably.
The 1.5k Pro seems to be a hair less fine and a tad faster than the 1k C/professional but not remarkably so.

I've been using the 1k C and 1.5k Shapton Pro side by side for a while now... anyone saying the 1.5k Shapton Pro is prone to loading needs to learn how to hone.
It's not 'prone to clogging'. In fact, it loads less than the 1k C does.

The 1k Shapton loads a bit - but it's more like a 700x-800x stone compared to the Naniwas, so it's going to take off more metal. Feedback on the 1k Pro is crunchy, less pleasant, and it's softer than the 1.5k. It's a good cutter but not as capable of refining the bevel as the 1.5k. I'd say the Nani 800x C/Pro is a way way better option, in speed and consistency, in that spot.

The SP 2k is nice, but superfluous to me with the 1.5k and 5k on hand. It doesn't do anything the 1.5k doesn't do and the 5k Pro follows it impeccably.
The 1.5k Pro seems to be a hair less fine and a tad faster than the 1k C/professional but not remarkably so.

This is pretty much what I wanted to say from my readings but didn't have the experience to back it up. I knew you'd explain it properly. That being said I'm glad I went with the 1.5k. Even if went and bought the chosera, I'm sure I'd be just as happy.

This is pretty much what I wanted to say from my readings but didn't have the experience to back it up. I knew you'd explain it properly. That being said I'm glad I went with the 1.5k. Even if went and bought the chosera, I'm sure I'd be just as happy.

You will love the 1.5K, it's an excellent stone IMHO. I just recently added it as I wanted to gently coax a perfect bevel before moving on to the 5k.

The 1.5k came in early. This thing took a good hour to flatten. I literally only made the grid lines once. Only because it took that whole time just to remove them. Pretty insane. The 150g 3m wet/dry wouldn't do it. I had to use the dmt plate. The pic is from almost 40 min fattening. The other pic is the finished stone.

$20160208_123804.jpg
$20160208_131310.jpg

They are not soft. Wait until you set a bevel with it.

I just used it to set a bevel on a gold dollar 800. I figured I'd use that because it's the hardest stainless steel razor I have, and it takes the longest to set a bevel on. I am very surprised for A stone this smooth to cut that fast. There was no clogging to speak of it all. Just a very dark swarf that just stayed in suspension with the water on the stone. I am very pleased with the stone. It's like night and day compared to the Kingstone. Much faster and I don't have to soak it.

Cool, glad you like it. I can't speak much about the huge variety of stones out there but after using the king 1K for around 5 years and then moving to the 1.5k pro for nine months or so I concur.... harder, better, faster, stronger as some French guys once said. I'm not too bothered about width on a razor stone but for kitchen knives the extra real estate is very welcome, I can touch up a kitchen knife mid tomato now instead of making plans to start soaking the king after dinner. I do covet a melon 8K to stack on my 1.5k & 5k but it seems silly to spend more money so I can spend less time on the thick wedge of okudo I love spending time with.

Side benefit was my wife thought the stackable boxes were cute and looked good in the kitchen, they make brief appearances and are well received, the King always seemed to be lying around getting soaked or drying out like a drunken friend. For my modest sharpening needs the king delivered just fine but the pro saves time and makes me smile.

Top Bottom