What's new

your favorite 1k and or bevel setter

My next stone will be the most important stone I have. A bevel setter. As of now I use a 1k king or a 1200 mesh dmt. Wondering what everyone's favorite is for getting the average bevel set. I already have a course dmt I can use if I need to remove chips in a blade. Looking for a 1k. I know alot like the chosera 1k because it's fast and it's splash and go like the super stones. I also had the shapton glass 1k in mind. I want a fast stone that doesn't need to be soaked. If the naniwa ss 1k is ok I'd rather spend less if the stone is efficient. But I don't want another slow stone like the king. I will pay for it if it's necessary. Ready, set, GO!

Keith, you are going to think I am crazy, but go back to the perfect edge and ask him if he has a speed demon coti. I have a coti with cutting speed way outside of the zone for coticules. I am talking pure insane cutting speed! He has seen so many stones he may have one. Here is mine.
$P9100036.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
My 1k bevel setter is a 2k Shapton Pro. Cuts as fast but finer. It's hard and doesn't dish easily, does not make green staining slurry (one fellow calls the 1k Chosera 'ole sloppy')

I usually use JNats from bevel setter up, but a Shapton Pro 2k+5k can take the place of all of them except the finisher. I do like to use a pre finisher just as personal preference.

Cheers, Steve

If you're setting a bevel, get a synth. If there's two things Synths do well it's speed and regularity, and surprise surprise, that's what Bevel setting wants. I like DMT's. Others love the Chosera. Why aren't you happy with the DMT exactly?

Chosera 1k or Shapton 2k Pro. Both excellent stones, though the Chosera definitely can get green crap everywhere. As I recall, the two makers use slightly different rating methods, so the stones are darn near the same grit (Shapton slightly finer). Scratch patterns look pretty close under the scope to me, but the apex is cleaner off of the Shapton.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I like the chosera 800x and 1000 but I've never tried anything else.

DMT EF 1200. DMT giving you problems or just want to try something new?

Just wanted something else. My dmt is a little 6" one and I want a full size bench stone. I have a big xc dmt that I use for lapping. But don't want to use that one in a razor. DMT doesn't give me trouble.

If you're setting a bevel, get a synth. If there's two things Synths do well it's speed and regularity, and surprise surprise, that's what Bevel setting wants. I like DMT's. Others love the Chosera. Why aren't you happy with the DMT exactly?

No problem with dmt. Just mines small 6". Wanted to try something new. Gives me a chance to try and different brand of stone anyway.

I use Shapton Pros 1k, 1.5k & 2K to set bevels.

Have you guys tried the glass? How do they compare. They seem to be the same price roughly. I heard they were phasing out the pros. If you guys like the pro's alot better I'll go that way.

For a long while the Chosera 1K was my favorite bevel setter until I got the Shapton 1.5K. I recently purchased the Shapton 5K and like the 1.5 even more.

I have a Shapton M15 1k and it is really, really fast. Scratch pattern looks like 800 or so as well, it's definitely more coarse than my King 1k. Leaves a bit of edge serration visible at 120x too (which the coticule will eat away, no worries.) I really like it but if you want to match a Shapton to a King for grit you should be looking at the 1500 or 2k most likely.

I generally use a 1k King for Bevel Setting myself, I seem to have gotten a really good one myself though. Apparently many of them dish really bad or just do not work really well but mine works perfectly on every edge I have used it for. Sometimes though with damaged edges or really dull blades I will start with a 300 or 600 DMT to clean up things a bit and then go to the 1K King. Or if it already has a clean blade edge with no damage at all other than needing the bevel to be reset I will just start with the Coticule on a heavy slurry and go from there all the way through to water only on the Coticule.

Top Bottom