What's new

tabac smell

I got my first 2 tabac refill pucks. Have not tried the soap yet, but the smell is petty darn good. It smells like perfume or cologne to me, so I have no idea why some people are saying this shaving soap has a bad smell. I was hesitant to try this shaving soap as quite a few people have said it smelled really bad. I really have no idea what they are talking about. I will report back after I shaved with it. I just wanted to comment on the smell of the soap.

I was the same way. I tried it once a year or so ago and I guess I let the talk of an "old ladies handbag" cloud my opinion. I bought some more and objectively, I love the smell now. And of course, it works fantastically. No one who has ever used it has had anything bad to say about it's performance.

To me it smells like Dial soap with a floral, but masculine, background.

I don't know what it is but it smells like a baby soap my grandmother used on me when I was a kid. I do like the scent but had to let it air out a little because it's by far the strongest scented soap I own and even sticks around an hour or so after the shave. Being 20 years old, I'm not sure the ladies would pick this scent out of a line up for their favorite scent they want a man to wear. I might be in with the older ladies though....and that's no problem with me :wink2::thumbup1:

I was hesitant myself because of all the reviews but after I got my first puck, I loved it. There's something very manly and old world about it. I guess it helps when the wife likes it too!

Recently, in another's thread someone said 'similar to Johnson & Johnson's baby powder; which totally unlocked the associations for me. And if my mating choices fall to females brought up with that neural input, I'd have to think it would be a subliminal hit. Or curse depending on all things considered...

Last edited:
I think the "old lady's handbag" description is valid: a mix of powder, clay (makeup?), leather, a floral perfume, and spearmint gum. This is not necessarily a bad thing...and Tabac only *hints* at this description. My wife thinks it has a clean, classic, masculine scent.

Glad you like it!!

Unfortunately, I do not like the smell (but the soap performs very well!) Goes to show, "YMMV!"

The powdery/floral smell is fairly prevalent straight off the puck, but I find that the musk/slightly woodsy scent comes out more once you lather it and the powderiness dies down. Interestingly, I don't find Tabac to be all that strong.when I leave it open in my room it doesn't fill the room or anything. Maybe my nose just doesn't pick it up.

The first time I smelled it I was undecided but I've learned to enjoy it. It is one of the few products where I prefer the cream to the soap. Good stuff.

Not every scent works, and sometimes our love of a scent can change. When Wolfthorn came out from Old Spice, I loved it but now cannot stand the smell (to me it smells like grape jelly now). I love the scent of Tabac, but I also like Arko which some folks describe as a urinal cake smell.

When I first got it, I did get the tobacco part of the smell - it reminded me vaguely of the van of an old friend of my dad's which reeked of the cigars he smoked. But I loved it. What surprised me was how much my wife likes it - because she hates *everything*. She just thinks it smells like nice soap.

Top Bottom