What's new

First day 'Going Vintage'

My first shave with a DE was a revelation. I got the best shave ever, and was instantly hooked. That was on an EJ89; now I use either a '57 Red Tip or '61 Fat Boy. I continue to enjoy every shave I have.

Would a '56 flair tip and a 40's feel significantly different? I haven't tried the regular flair tip, but I figured they would be about the same in terms of performance.
No, they feels the same to me anyway. I believe the early Flare Tips have the same head as the 40's, but the extra weight and better knurling is nice. The head shape changed in 65 (I think). The Red Tip is my favorite Super Speed, but the 50's Flare tips are very nice too. That said I haven't found a Supper Speed I don't like though.

I always go vintage. When I started on this wet shaving journey I found an antique store Fatboy I haven't looked back. I've been hitting every place I even think may have old razors for sale and have been shaving my way through history every since.

No, they feels the same to me anyway. I believe the early Flare Tips have the same head as the 40's, but the extra weight and better knurling is nice. The head shape changed in 65 (I think). The Red Tip is my favorite Super Speed, but the 50's Flare tips are very nice too. That said I haven't found a Supper Speed I don't like though.

Thanks! I have been happy with my 40's and red tip, so I haven't bought any more super speeds... yet! :laugh:

I've got a Gillette New I like a lot, as I always preferred open comb. Maybe I'm just stuck on that one because it's my newest. However if it were my only, I'd have great shaves every day. Maybe I'll finally get that replate on my New.

I've got a Gillette New I like a lot, as I always preferred open comb. Maybe I'm just stuck on that one because it's my newest. However if it were my only, I'd have great shaves every day. Maybe I'll finally get that replate on my New.
I feel the same way. I could be happy and get great shaves from almost any of my Gillettes, if it was my only one. But I'm happier to be able to rotate through all the different ones I can get ahold of.

The 50's American SS rarely gets the luv it deserves. Most under-rated DE in existence IMO.
I'm curious as to where the 50's SS sit on the mildness scale. I have a 48-49 Milord (40's SS) which I really like and a 60's Flare Tip SS that almost seems too mild.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I'm curious as to where the 50's SS sit on the mildness scale. I have a 48-49 Milord (40's SS) which I really like and a 60's Flare Tip SS that almost seems too mild.

I have Super Speeds from all of the eras except for a red tip. I still need one of those. I find the 40's style and early Flare Tips from the 1950's to be my favorites. They do seem a touch more efficient to me than those from the 1960's. But the difference is not much. My birth year is 1967, so I have a couple of Black Handles from that year, and they shave perfectly. But if I had to pick, I would say my 1951 40's Style Black Tip and my 1957 Flare tip are the best shavers. I do have about a half dozen pre-date-code super speeds, including a Milord. But that Black Tip and the '57 just make me smile.

Would a '56 flair tip and a 40's feel significantly different? I haven't tried the regular flair tip, but I figured they would be about the same in terms of performance.
You know, I have a 1952 Super Speed ( X-1, 40's style) and two '56 Flare Tips (B3 and B4) and I swear the heads are identical on the 40's style and the Flare tips. Only the handle seems different to me.

My first razor was a black handle SS purchased new in 1974. I have no idea where it has gone. I have a 54 flare and a 56 Red Tip and a couple of black handles from the 70s that I've picked up all in the wild. Plenty of them out there. Terrific razors every one of them.

So shave 1 with Astra SP was very pleasant. 2 or 3 mustache area weepers, cleared up in minutes. Otherwise similar to my 7 O'Clock standbys. I'll be interested to see the longevity of this blade.

Top Bottom