What's new

Looking for Classic Scent

Hey everybody,

I've stepped away for a while, not intentionally, and I've been searching around for a new cream. I'm about to finish the Bigelow I have from BBW. I'm happy with it, but want something different. I'm looking for that old-school, classic scent. I'm no good at describing scents with words, but, I'm hoping you get the idea. I've used the search, and found a few things, but was looking to get some new ideas on "old" scents. I'm no expert, and you guys were absolute spot on with helping me get started with a razor and the rest of my start-up kit, I thought I'd ask again. Price isn't much as a factor, but nothing extreme if it's something rare.

So, something classic, nothing fruity for floral. I'm not yet ready to try the soaps yet, so creams for now. Thanks for at least taking the time to read, and greatly appreciate any advice you're willing to share. Thanks!

[MENTION=56471]Bieradler[/MENTION] I would like to suggest TOBS Mr. Taylor's Shaving Cream. I really love this scent...fresh and clean but not too antiquated. It is described as, "Taylor of Old Bond Street Mr Taylor shaving cream has a manly, crisp and spicy fragrance in which tarragon, lavender and incense combine with hints of green galbanum and citrus." It is one of my favorites!

$Mr taylor.jpg

By "old school", do you mean classic barbershop scents that scream masculinity?

If so, you might want to try a cream/soap with sandalwood or tobacco as its basenote:

- Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood (cream)
- Proraso Red: Sandalwood & Shea Butter (soft soap)
- Tabac Original (hard soap)

Thanks for all the replies. I will try one of these that you all mentioned.

If so, you might want to try a cream/soap with sandalwood or tobacco as its basenote:

Camardicus, that's exactly what I was looking for. You just put it in better words. Thanks!

+1. Read my mind

I would recommend TOBS Eton College as a "classic" scent.

You should also try Tabac, a great European classic.

Agree with the suggestion of TOBS Mr.Taylor's. It reminds me of a classic men's cologne though I defer to dangerousdon's more precise description.

Thank you all for the great recommendations. It was a huge help.

I took the advice and decided to give TOBS Mr. Taylor a try. It was recommended here and after reading some additional reviews, it sounds like what I was looking for. It looks like there's so many good choices out there. There's more I found that I want to try, but I'll start with this. Also picked up some new aftershave, giving Captain's North a try as well.

Thanks again everybody!

If you want classic, stick to classic brands. The 3 T's, Kent, Ach Brito, Godrej, Speick, Tabac and Proraso would be my suggestions. Enjoy! Half the fun is in the hunt for a new product (for me at least). :)

Even tho you said no soaps, I'd suggest Proraso Red. It's super easy to lather and is great for anyone wanting to ease into soaps. The scent is fantastic IMHO and nothing floral about it. Very classic. I used today and finished with DRH Sandalwod splash. The wife keeps following me around the house

Top Bottom