What's new

What to do when your watch band breaks and you're broke

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So, on Saturday the band on my Invicta broke, right where the locking band end of the closure joins up with the other side of the band. The part that broke wasn't one of those collapsible spring things, it was a metal rod with the ends crimped to lock it in place (making a head like a rivet). One end sheared. I really didn't want to spend money on another band, and finally had time to think about it. To the rescue was a length of .0410 diameter safety wire, something we have a metric ton of. I cut off a piece, bending one end to 90 degrees, inserted the wire, bent the other end to as close to 90 as I could get, then cut off the surplus. I then hit the ends with a Dremel to smooth them out, then positioned it to a point where the ends would point away from the skin. I then grabbed a pair of channel locks and crimped just enough to where it will not allow the ends to rotate toward the wrist, but the band would still move nicely. With the band closed and locked, it is covered up. My week long nightmare of not knowing the date is over. I have been a simulator technician since 1998, and I have had to make far more improvised fixes like this than I care to remember.

Attachments

• $watch.jpg
    $watch.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 194
  • $w1.jpg
    $w1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 198

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I meant to update this. When I put it back together, I forgot to put the locking tab back on. That may be a good thing, though. I think what happened is I took a sharp blow right near the clasp, and since the lock was on something had to give. In this case it was the pin. I think if it happens again it will just knock the clasp open.

Buy a few Nato/Zulu straps in 22mm and 20mm widths (depending on your watch collection lug widths). They are cheap and make for nice bands on a wide variety of watches. They also come in very handy for situations exactly like this.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Buy a few Nato/Zulu straps in 22mm and 20mm widths (depending on your watch collection lug widths). They are cheap and make for nice bands on a wide variety of watches. They also come in very handy for situations exactly like this.
Yeah, I should have an emergency strap. I prefer metal bands, but having something for a temporary back up would be good

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
At home use the clock on your oven and when you're out use your cell phone.

I like the simplicity of glancing at my wrist, instead of whipping a phone out of my pocket. Plus, it can be done covertly while in inane team meetings.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I like the simplicity of glancing at my wrist, instead of whipping a phone out of my pocket. Plus, it can be done covertly while in inane team meetings.

I need to get myself one of those watches, that go on your wrist that you guys speak of.:w00t:
I'm getting funny looks at meeting checking the time on my phone.

Top Bottom