What's new

J Herbin 100ml bottle. Is this normal?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I just received a 100ml plastic (didn't realize it was going to be plastic) bottle of J Herbin ink today, and upon inspecting it, thought that it looked a bit empty. Every single picture that I've seen of their 100ml bottles shows ink filled up to the base of the cap. Does anyone have a new bottle to compare with? Mine weighs 119.1 grams, and looks like this:

$J Herbin Lie de The.jpg

Thanks for any help!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Doesn't look normal but probably not a big deal. You'll never finish it anyway! :001_rolle

Where did you purchase it? You may want to contact your vendor and let them know it looks short.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Doesn't look normal but probably not a big deal. You'll never finish it anyway! :001_rolle

Where did you purchase it? You may want to contact your vendor and let them know it looks short.

Thanks. I got it from Pen Chalet. It was my first time ordering from them. I'll kill two birds with one stone by contacting them because they still haven't shipped out a bottle of ink that was placed with the Lie de The order.

BTW, The Osmia 661 that I recently acquired is such an entertaining pen to write with. I'm sure I'll burn through a decent amount of ink with that 14K OBB nib. If not, I suppose I could stain my deck with some of it.

Honestly I'd rather have that than a so-completely-full-Noodlers-Bottle that opening it without spilling is an arduous task in itself. I've ruined a shirt and have a stained desk thanks to that. But no, it doesn't look normal.

I've never dealt with Pen Chalet either, but the times that I've looked on their site, a lot of items have that little asterisk next to them which indicates that it's not ready for immediate shipment. Maybe that's what happened with your other ink bottle? Email them. If they respond quickly to an email, hopefully that's a good sign that they're an upright vendor and will stand behind what they sell.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Honestly I'd rather have that than a so-completely-full-Noodlers-Bottle that opening it without spilling is an arduous task in itself. I've ruined a shirt and have a stained desk thanks to that. But no, it doesn't look normal.

I've never dealt with Pen Chalet either, but the times that I've looked on their site, a lot of items have that little asterisk next to them which indicates that it's not ready for immediate shipment. Maybe that's what happened with your other ink bottle? Email them. If they respond quickly to an email, hopefully that's a good sign that they're an upright vendor and will stand behind what they sell.

Thanks. In all reality, it's probably only a few dollars worth of ink that's missing, but for me, it's the principle of the point. The Stipula bottle that they still haven't sent out does have a "*Typically ships within 1-2 business day" by it, so even though I placed the order 6 days ago, I'm sure they'll stick with the "*Typically" clause. I guess I'll wait to hear back from them to see what they say.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Pen Chalet rectified the situation, and updated me on the expected date of delivery for the Stipula ink. All is right in the kingdom once again.

It could be that the plastic bottle is thinner than the former glass bottle. When filled to a measured 100 ml it would appear to be underfilled.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
It could be that the plastic bottle is thinner than the former glass bottle. When filled to a measured 100 ml it would appear to be underfilled.

I talked with the vendor, and he said that it should have been filled to the top. The air gap in the bottle was overlooked when packing my order. The vendor and I came to an agreement for compensation.

Top Bottom