What's new

Pocket Knives at Disney World

New procedure at the Disney theme parks has been put into place.

Coming into EPCOT yesterday I was pulled out of line ("Random screening" so I was informed) and required to go through their newly installed metal detector, just like those in the airport. OK....

Told to empty everything from my pockets..no problem. Then they saw this...

$image.jpg

Blade is about 2 3/4" long.

Immediately a cry of "WEAPON" !!! was heard and over comes the security guard with some kind of measuring device. At first glimpse it looked like a standard issue state of Florida Drivers License but I really couldn't tell. After the guard sized up the knife (it just cleared what looked like the maximum allowable size) I was told to keep it in my pocket, not clip it on.

The rest of the day was uneventful.

So, for anyone planning to visit Disney, better to leave any blade much bigger that the one pictured somewhere else. And don't even THINK about toting a firearm on the grounds. They don't care WHAT kind of permit you have. Mickey says NO!!

Last edited:
I mean this in the most respectful way. Why would it be so upsetting to be told to conceal your knife at a family theme park, let alone think it would be okay to carry on their grounds too? It's private property. Just because you are able to buy a ticket and enter doesn't mean they don't have the right to enforce policies. If I invited you to a family BBQ, on my private property, and you brought a gun or knife to it, I have the right to ask you to remove it from my property. Sure you are legally allowed to carry a firearm and a legal length blade, but I'm in my rights to advise you to conceal or remove the stuff from my private property. I'm also in my rights to remove anyone who refuses from my private property.

Seems kind of embarrassing that they would yell "WEAPON" though... That's pretty overboard.

Last edited:
I had one of the smallest size swiss army knives on a keychain going into Six Flags in California and they wouldn't even let me bring it in. The really small one that runs about ten bucks where the blade is under two inches long and about a quarter inch wide. Not nearly the size of the one in the picture above. I told them I could do more damage to someone with a number 2 pencil but I still had to give it up or take it back to the car. Rules are rules and all. It was a long walk to the car or a long wait for the tram and I didn't want the fourteen or so people we were with to have to wait for me, so I just gave it up.

They make the rules and can do whatever they want, so know that you're lucky that they let you keep it with you.

As an ardent supporter of our Constitutional rights, I'm perfectly fine with WDW's new policies. Besides, what could you possibly need a knife for in the parks? Any cast member in a store could probably get a pair of scissors (actually I think they'll cut tags off purchased items if you ask nicely).

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You don't want rent-a-cops taking away a nice folder. When I fly somewhere CONUS, I hit a Walmart sporting goods department soon after and get their Ozark $1 Chinese folder. It's adequate.

If I hit a security point somewhere, I throw it away.

Old/set in my ways as I am; I'm not going to not carry a knife.

AA

Not allowing ANY kind of weapon seems Canadian, yelling "WEAPON" seems American :lol:
Seriously though, that is a little overboard is not? Maybe over 3" justifies "backup, backup on entrance 12! Weapon! Weapon!"

Not allowing ANY kind of weapon seems Canadian, yelling "WEAPON" seems American :lol:
Seriously though, that is a little overboard is not? Maybe over 3" justifies "backup, backup on entrance 12! Weapon! Weapon!"

A number of years ago my wife was called to report for jury selection. Only after passing through the security check and entering the courtroom did she realize/remember she had a knife in her bag... oh well, the simple life, only in Canada.

dave

Last edited:
As an ardent supporter of our Constitutional rights, I'm perfectly fine with WDW's new policies. Besides, what could you possibly need a knife for in the parks? Any cast member in a store could probably get a pair of scissors (actually I think they'll cut tags off purchased items if you ask nicely).

I got in the habit of just carrying it every day as it was useful for all kinds of things. For example, the one I had contained a small nail file and a very small pair of scissors in it that could be used to trim a hangnail before filing it down. There was a built in toothpick as well. It also had a little set of tweezers built in that had been used to remove tons of splinters. I could see someone getting a splinter from one of the wooden rails to used contain people standing in line for the rides.

For me, it wasn't a conscious effort to bring it but more of an effort in having to think of not bringing it as I carried it every day. It automatically went in my pocket with my keys and wallet.

Would never personally step foot on or near a Disney owned property. I also do the same for places that have gun buster signs that are businesses.

For me, it wasn't a conscious effort to bring it but more of an effort in having to think of not bringing it as I carried it every day. It automatically went in my pocket with my keys and wallet.

That's completely understandable.

Would never personally step foot on or near a Disney owned property. I also do the same for places that have gun buster signs that are businesses.
Ok. I'm assuming you don't watch any ABC stations or affiliates, or ESPN?

The next time I venture out for a walk in the woods, and I stumble across a Disney World, I will definitely be keeping this in mind.

I for one appreciate the heads up. I, too, carry a knife for no other reason that sometimes it's handy to open package, trim threads, sharpen pencils, cut out splinters, and so on. When I'm down to one knife, it's usually my Victorinx Pioneer. That would likely make some places flitter. Such as some places in DC. A friend went on a tour, and one place said he couldn't enter with his knife, but they could hold it for him. It was a little pen knife. Rather than toss it, after the tour he walked around the block back to the entrance and retrieved it.

I would have really appreciated a heads up before going to a court house to look up some records for work. Now, I carry a minimum of three knives at work, and usually four, plus I have a flashlight, phone, calculator, wad of keys, and such. And, curiously, I wasn't warned before I went. So when I walked in and saw the metal detector and the cop, I knew what was going to happen. When it came to my turn and the cop said "Empty your pockets," I laid my bandanna in the tray and said "This is going to take a while." And it did.

Fortunately, when I mentioned my shoes had steel toes, he didn't make me take them off when they sounded. Then again, I had my work uniform on, too.

I had to leave all my knives and my phone up front. After I was done, I walked back to the front in time to hear the cop tell another about the man with all the stuff in his pockets.

As an ardent supporter of our Constitutional rights, I'm perfectly fine with WDW's new policies. Besides, what could you possibly need a knife for in the parks?
Because last time I was there, I didn't like the way Goofy was looking at me. His tone was all wrong.

Huh, they let you in with it?

Back in, oh, 2010 or so (whenever the last shuttle launch was) I was walking into Animal Kingdom with my spyderco endura clipped to my pocket. I had forgotten to put it entirely into the pocket, so the clip was showing. As I was walking through the entrance, a very nice security lady pulled me to the side and asked me to check in the knife at the security desk. I did so and retrieved it at the end of the day. Since then I have remembered to keep my knives out of sight at WDW :)

So even if you do 'get caught' I'd think the worst thing would be to have to check in the knife. A firearm, OTOH would probably have to be returned to the car, or get you expelled if you were an *** about it.

Metal detectors are a new development, I certainly didn't see any when I was there in October. Be interesting to see where that goes. Other amusement parks are more strict about searches than Disney, I'd rather not have to endure a pat down just for the privilege of spending 100's of $$ in the parks.

On a related note some of the thrill rides at Universal now have metal detector screening before you get on the minimize lost items and things literally falling from the sky onto prospective riders, employees, machinery, other guests etc. They did provide free lockers to secure such items.

Wow I have to give up a knife at Fiesta Texas in San Antonio, it was a old Imperial Camp Knife, the security guy was nice and he put my name on it and laid it on his desk at the security booth. When we left I showed my Id and they gave it back.

I had to give up a Swiss Army knife at Disneyland recently, it was awkward. I have been screened earlier that day and emptied my pockets and the knife was ok. I left the park and went to Downtown Disney which requires a re-entry screening and the same knife had to be confiscated, since my car was parked on the other side of the park I could not just take it back to the car. It would be nice if all of the security guards were on the same page.

Top Bottom