What's new

Pocket Knives at Disney World

It is SAD our Nation has turned into such of a Nanny State that a SAK is no longer welcome at the Airport , The Zoo or the Amusement Park.

:mad3::sad::sad::sad::sad::a31:

It is SAD our Nation has turned into such of a Nanny State that a SAK is no longer welcome at the Airport , The Zoo or the Amusement Park.

:mad3::sad::sad::sad::sad::a31:

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest it has more to do with protecting large groups from terrorists. Guys with box cutters did bad things.

Let's steer clear of the political comments, shall we?

$image.jpg

Here's the replacement for the PIFed Sanrenmu. Kershaw Skyline. You know I won't be even close to taking this one to Disney. Oh for sure I'll be back. Even hold an annual park pass:thumbup1:

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest it has more to do with protecting large groups from terrorists. Guys with box cutters did bad things.

ditto!

Not to mention the fact that this is a decision made by a business... NOT the state.

My apologies My intent was to point out the changes we seen in Society apart from any governmental body.

Strangest WDW security experience I have ever had:

We took a family vacation (me, wife, 2yr-old daughter, sister-in-law) to WDW on October, 2001- just over a month after the terrorist attacks. As you may all remember, security was still a very visible operation with National Guard troops in the airports.

WDW had started doing bag screening, but was obviously still getting the hang of it. On the day that we were going to MGM, we are in the bag screening line when the screener sees the tote in the bottom of the stroller. "Oh," he says to his partner, "that's just the diaper bag. We don't need to check that."

No, I guess no self-respecting terrorist would hide a bomb in a diaper bag. :)

That, BTW, was the strangest Disney World trip I have ever had. Attendance was obviously way down because of the events of 9/11. We were able to walk onto Tower Of Terror and Rock n'Roll Rollercoaster with no wait. On, the other hand, I spent 45 minutes waiting to take my daughter onto the Dumbo ride.

Still, at least Disney is worried about items which could be used for violence/mayhem. When I go to the local Six Flags park, I'm convinced that they are almost more concerned that I might be bringing in food from outside than that I might have a weapon.

Strangest WDW security experience I have ever had:

We took a family vacation (me, wife, 2yr-old daughter, sister-in-law) to WDW on October, 2001- just over a month after the terrorist attacks. As you may all remember, security was still a very visible operation with National Guard troops in the airports.

WDW had started doing bag screening, but was obviously still getting the hang of it. On the day that we were going to MGM, we are in the bag screening line when the screener sees the tote in the bottom of the stroller. "Oh," he says to his partner, "that's just the diaper bag. We don't need to check that."

No, I guess no self-respecting terrorist would hide a bomb in a diaper bag. :)

That, BTW, was the strangest Disney World trip I have ever had. Attendance was obviously way down because of the events of 9/11. We were able to walk onto Tower Of Terror and Rock n'Roll Rollercoaster with no wait. On, the other hand, I spent 45 minutes waiting to take my daughter onto the Dumbo ride.

Still, at least Disney is worried about items which could be used for violence/mayhem. When I go to the local Six Flags park, I'm convinced that they are almost more concerned that I might be bringing in food from outside than that I might have a weapon.
Yep some places are like that. Knife is ok but they flip out over a bottle of water.

The biggest problem I have is that they yelled "WEAPON" instead of yelling "USEFUL TOOL!" I'll bet plenty of people get stabbed with screwdrivers and I doubt they would mention a word if you entered with one of them in your pocket or bag.

As much as I love talking about Disney (and trust me... I'm a Disney fanatic, and can talk about it all day), I think we're starting to veer away from the topic of this subforum... that is, The Great Outdoors.

Fortunately, while out in the wild, most woods will still allow a knife, and it's highly recommended you take your own water into said woods.

A few years ago I had to return a P-38 can opener (military type) to my vehicle before being allowed to enter a courthouse. I knew to leave my pocket knife there. I have carried it with my keys since I got out of boot camp in the early '80's. The security guard called it an edged weapon.
$download.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 637425

Here's the replacement for the PIFed Sanrenmu. Kershaw Skyline. You know I won't be even close to taking this one to Disney. Oh for sure I'll be back. Even hold an annual park pass:thumbup1:
I have one of these too. Love it! Made in USA for a great price! The one day you don't carry it, you'll need it more than once....it always seems.

its amazing how often you use a pocket knife when you are used to carrying them.

A couple weeks ago I went to the Chicago Auto Show and u was thinking of this thread & I decided to put my knife in my pocket instead of clipped to the edge.

I'm all set with ever going to any Disney park after they fired American workers and replaced with foriegn workers on visa's.

Just about everyone who works in EPCOT is a foreign national of the land attraction they work at (Italians in the Italy pavilion, Chinese in China, etc.). They are contracted by Disney to work on a one year contract; then they return home. Seems to make sense......

I've lost my sensitive and accomodating nature over the decades. As a crusty old curmudgeon, I don't trust nor do business with any establishment that doesn't trust me enough to leave me and my LEGAL possessions the hell alone. If that means that I turn around and leave, so be it. It's their monetary loss, not mine.

Top Bottom