What's new

Black History Month

Black History Month is an annual celebration of achievements by black Americans and a time for recognizing the central role of African Americans in U.S. history. The event grew out of “Negro History Week,” the brainchild of noted historian Carter G. Woodson and other prominent African Americans. Since 1976, every U.S. president has officially designated the month of February as Black History Month.

I will try to post an achievement every day this month in recognition of this celebration.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Greatness personified.

Last edited by a moderator:
George Washington Carver

A botanist, chemist, and inventor as born into slavery sometime around 1864. Educated at Iowa State University and spent most of years teaching doing research at The Tuskegee Institute. He is best known for the hundreds of uses he devised for peanuts. These products include but are not limited to plastics, dyes, paints and a type of gasoline. He introduced the idea of crop rotation to farmers to help reduce the depletion of nitrogen from the soil by cotton. Carver's became known the world over for his genius in these fields. In 1920, he delivered a speech before the Peanut Growers Association on the potential uses of peanuts. His testimony to Congress led to a tariff being imposed on peanuts due to their value. Carver was made a member of British Royal Society of Arts, a rare accomplishment for any American let alone one of African decent. Theodore Roosevelt and Mahatma Ghandi sought his advice on all things agricultural. Carver ideas of sustainability and renewable resources were rather advanced for his time. The next time you pick up a jar of peanut butter or peanut oil (maybe even shave soap) say thanks to George Washington Carver.

George Washington Carver

A botanist, chemist, and inventor as born into slavery sometime around 1864. Educated at Iowa State University and spent most of years teaching doing research at The Tuskegee Institute. He is best known for the hundreds of uses he devised for peanuts. These products include but are not limited to plastics, dyes, paints and a type of gasoline. He introduced the idea of crop rotation to farmers to help reduce the depletion of nitrogen from the soil by cotton. Carver's became known the world over for his genius in these fields. In 1920, he delivered a speech before the Peanut Growers Association on the potential uses of peanuts. His testimony to Congress led to a tariff being imposed on peanuts due to their value. Carver was made a member of British Royal Society of Arts, a rare accomplishment for any American let alone one of African decent. Theodore Roosevelt and Mahatma Ghandi sought his advice on all things agricultural. Carver ideas of sustainability and renewable resources were rather advanced for his time. The next time you pick up a jar of peanut butter or peanut oil (maybe even shave soap) say thanks to George Washington Carver.

I would like to nominate James Baldwin, Frederick Douglass, and Ralph Ellison for future posts.

Greatness personified.

Armstrong is great! I might listen to him while cooking dinner tonight.

I would like to nominate James Baldwin, Frederick Douglass, and Ralph Ellison for future posts.

Good options.... You pick one and I will take on the other two. :)

Anyone is welcome add to this. Being that I did not do one yesterday I am going to try to give another one here in a few. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Deal.

James Baldwin

Give one of his novels a look sometime.

$723ccbcc7740261c17c18d56dadc61fe.jpg

Henrietta Lacks is the subject today. I did not have the time to write anything so I found an article that details who she was and what she means to medicine.

I am sure I will learn something while doing each of these, what would be better if it motivates me to become more of a reader.

Henrietta Lacks made what may be the most important contribution to medicine in the 20th century...herself. She died at a very young age from cervical cancer, but from her tumor, scientists were able to grow for the first time ever, "immortalized" human cells. That meant that you could grow human cells in a Petri dish. Feed them and they kept on living and dividing. Never before did they exist. For the first time, scientists could reliably do experiments with human cells. Arguably, all of the medicines and vaccines that have come since were developed using her cells or the knowledge gained from using those cells.

In death, Henrietta Lacks saved hundreds of millions of lives.

ouch

In death, Henrietta Lacks saved hundreds of millions of lives.

I didn't know that. It helps make up for some of the more common examples of humanity such as those who, in life, caused tens of millions of deaths.

ouch

It should be noted that accomplishments need not be limited to Earth.

Ronald E. McNair, October 21, 1950 - January 28, 1986

proxy.php

My contribution and much more relatable to everyday life me thinks. Blacks in advertisements:)

Attachments

• $washman++10-27-2013-05-43-5.jpg
    $washman++10-27-2013-05-43-5.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 86
Top Bottom