What's new

Is Gillette Finally Getting It?

At my local Hyvee supermarket, hanging there was a 3-pack Gillette Platinum Plus DE blades for $2.49. The blades are made in Brazil. I know that the Gillette Russian blades get very good reviews, has anyone tried their Brazilian made blades? Will we see more of the Gillette DE blades on shelves? Is the switch to DE shaving by so many, have them thinking?

At my local Hyvee supermarket, hanging there was a 3-pack Gillette Platinum Plus DE blades for $2.49. The blades are made in Brazil. I know that the Gillette Russian blades get very good reviews, has anyone tried their Brazilian made blades? Will we see more of the Gillette DE blades on shelves? Is the switch to DE shaving by so many, have them thinking?
I'll have to check few of my hyvee 's where I'm at. but could just be hyvee carrying them I know they carry personna de hyvees and some blue gem se blades as well and hyvees brand of se blade's to. did you get a photo of them?

Last edited:
I've used these, they are nice, about on the level of Personna Med Preps, and not quite at Gillette Platinum dark blue or white box from Russia in terms of smoothness. They are not as good as NOS Gillette Platinum Plus made in USA blades, not even close in terms of smoothness or longevity. at $2.49 for 3 blades, or $6.xx for 9 blades for the Brazillian ones, you can get the Russians for much cheaper, or the NOS USA blades for about that price, and will likely be happier with them. By no means are these bad blades though. Best regards

I would love to see more choices locally, but at $0.83 per blade I will keep ordering online. It is a start though.

I've used these, they are nice, about on the level of Personna Med Preps, and not quite at Gillette Platinum dark blue or white box from Russia in terms of smoothness. They are not as good as NOS Gillette Platinum Plus made in USA blades, not even close in terms of smoothness or longevity. at $2.49 for 3 blades, or $6.xx for 9 blades for the Brazillian ones, you can get the Russians for much cheaper, or the NOS USA blades for about that price, and will likely be happier with them. By no means are these bad blades though. Best regards

I'll have to try some thought I have some vintage blades from my grandpa I haven't used yet but been wanting to save them they are kinda hard to find imo

Last edited:
Interesting. I'll have to look next time I'm at my local Hy Vee. They used to carry these, but haven't looked since October or so....been rocking a beard since then.

Interesting. I'll have to look next time I'm at my local Hy Vee. They used to carry these, but haven't looked since October or so....been rocking a beard since then.

yep rebranded personas :) I use those they aren't bad and Kroger brand also has those thats to bad they don't carry those anymore did they still carry the twin cart's?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
It will continue as long as they can sell DE blades at cart prices. That notorious grooming mega-corporation will not stand for anyone undercutting their carts.

I would love to see more choices locally, but at $0.83 per blade I will keep ordering online. It is a start though.

+1 While it's always good to see DE blades on the store shelves, $2.49 for 3 blades is quite steep. In an emergency I suppose I'd spring for it though.
Thanks for the heads up - maybe the price will come down a bit...

at $0.83 per blade I will keep ordering online.

Indeed!

I got one of these at the local 99 Cent Only [sic] Store the day before yesterday and thought 20¢ was a little steep, but I'm new at this and needed some starter blades.

$5Pack.JPG

"Made in USA" from the Virginia plant.

Last edited:
If you're ordering online and not hitting the right price to avoid shipping, then factor in tax, USUALLY it's not a lot different for blade prices. It's always more in the store regardless, but only a little more. Then there's the dollar problem. Tax and shipping is horrible way up here, and Maggard's seems to be the best place for me to ship from, just have to keep in mind the products are listed in American Dollar's.

today I was at Walgreen's picking up some things I didn't see them there near my house yet. later I was at hyvee ended up getting some for 2.79 for 3pack and had to pick up some craft beer while I was at it :)

Found in a Walgreens in San Francisco. Well hidden in the shaving section...no "official" tag/description. Only two left, and it was positioned to the side and almost completely out of view. I had a friend look for me - thankfully she was persistent!

"Made in Brazil" - interesting. I would have assumed NOS except the date is 2015. Collectively we checked 4 other Walgreens, all with no sign of the blades.

Is Gillette testing these in advance of the release of their supposedly new DE razor at the AOS stores in Spring?

I'll give one of these blades a go and let you know how it shaves.

Todd

$IMG_0949.jpg$IMG_0950.jpg

"We'll stop making razor blades when we can't keep making them better"

Way to jinx it, Gillette. :p
Hopefully they'll keep finding new ways of making them better, while keeping the DE format.

Top Bottom