What's new

Whiskey Rebellion

I went to the Whiskey Rebellion in Boston over the weekend. This was the 3rd year I've gone and as usual it was a great time. It's a nice opportunity to sample a lot of different whiskeys, ryes and bourbons.

Here's a partial list of the distillers that were showcased:
50 Stone Single Malt, Pearse Lyons Reserve, Breaker Bourbon, Basil Hayden's, Bull Run Distillery, Bully Boy, Catoctin Creek, Crater Lake Rye, G&W Bourbon, Cyrus Noble Bourbon, Dad's Hat, Four Roses, Corner Creek Bourbon, Hirsch Small Batch Bourbon, Jack Daniel's, Jim Beam, Booker's, Maker's Mark, OYO Michelone Reserve Bourbon, Old Forester, Old Potrero, Putnam New England Whiskey, Ryan & Wood Straight Rye Whiskey, Smugglers' Notch Distillery Bourbon, Berkshire Mountain Distillers, Bulliet, Dickel, Templeton, Westland American, Whistle Pig, Woodford Reserve.

I own or have had many of the bigger distiller's varieties, so I like to find the ones that are smaller. To me the two standouts were the "Dad's Hat Pennsylvania Rye Whiskey Finished in Vermouth Barrels" which had a very smooth, rich character from the vermouth barrels (they had a similar, very good, Port barrel aged variety too) and the "Pearse Lyons Reserve", which had a character very much like an Irish Whiskey.

In addition they did some cocktail making demos, where I had possibly the best Old Fashioned I've ever tasted.

$rebellion1.jpg

$rebellion2.jpg

$rebellion3.jpg

Top Bottom