What's new

How many brushes do you really need?

This is a topic that is frequently discussed on the forum. Our forebearers managed with one brush until it died. I think it should be pointed out that they saw shaving as a necessary evil. Today wet shavers see it as a source of pleasure. So, how many brushes?
If you want to be an absolute minimalist and at the lowest cost, I would say two boar brushes to give the brushes time to dry properly between shaves.
Personally, I have come to the conclusion that my standard is a seven day set. I have one brush for each day of the week. I used to shave Monday through Friday, but now I shave every day. Probably to justify buying two new brushes, besides the fact that I throughly enjoy my shaving routine.
My set is composed of two horse, two badger silvertip, two boar, and one synthetic. I enjoy the feel offered by the different types of hair. This way I use all my brushes and avoid having brushes lying idle.
Share your thoughts.

I need one of my eight brushes every morning. Each has a either a different type or size of knot for a variety.

I have 10.
6 have never been used
2 are used but not by me
2 are in the lineup
I'd bet another will make attendance this year.

365. One for each day of the year. No, seriously I don't even know what I have anymore for brushes. I actually just PIF'd a few of them to a very deserving member. I don't know how many I have now a days. I keep 4 in my rotation. 99% or the time I'm using my thater silvertip.

Need? Obviously, just one.

I have three in rotation: B&B, 10066 and vintage Century, with the first two getting the majority of the work. However, I recently acquired - through a passaround - a Vie-Long horsehair brush and I've been enjoying the learning curve. It definitely seems to prefer more of a painting/slapping technique rather than the constant swirling of a boar brush.

I'm not sure how many I have. I pick and choose through eight or nine. (Rotation is kind of a strict term for what I do). I have a few more that I use on occasion, but like a lot, and I have a few that are in the next PIF pile. Of them, I think about three are necessary. (On a first world problems type scale) One boar, and one badger, then a synth for travel. The rest are just because I enjoy them.

I'd guess one if that one were a synthetic. A good boar needs drying time to properly develop softness, and I think any natural fiber should dry thoroughly between uses to prevent rot. So I'd say 3 would be a reasonable number if you are fussy. I think a good question would be how much do you have to spend for truly enjoyable brushes. Of all my brushes, it would be difficult for me to give up my SOC boar. Beyond that it's just luxury.

Two boar brushes
One Horse hair
One badger (great when you are in a hurry and have no time to soak a brush)
Synthetic for travel

For me, I could be fine with two. One for home use, and the Omega 50014 for travel. I don't like taking my home brush on the road, and the Omega is $10. In realty, I have more than just those two, though.

bah, we don't even need one... most soap can get the job done as a wet mash upon the hands with a bit of water.
But I think most of us want to have two really good examples of each of the primary types... then, from there... it's all about trying a new configuration and seeing if it comes up to the qualities you appreciate to replace one of the two you swap between throughout the week. Then its all about space to keep the second best or getting rid of them to keep from having a bunch of not used tools that might do someone good. ...unless you really have a true appreciation of the art of brush design and quality, then you can be happy with thousands all stored in boxes in a spare room or storage space.

Top Bottom