What's new

A few more questions brought to you by "I guess I'm still a newb after all" lol

1) does anyone use or know where to buy an actual comb for the shaving brush? might seem lame...but the hairs on the outside look really frayed or bent or worn etc and I figure it would help the brush last longer and look nicer in general if you actual ran a comb through the hairs to straighten them, etc? am I insane?

2) I was SO excited when I smelled my TOBS almond in the tub...but I found once on my face I really couldn't smell it at all...is this normal? it smells super good, I was hoping to at least get a whiff of it while on my face

3) I can already see how adding things can be addicting...I'm hoping to add one last cream to my collection and then stop...for now....haha - I have Speick, TOBS Organic and TOBS almond....think I have settled on the Taconic Eucalyptus/Mint -- it seems to be the "top" preservative-free very natural cream out there in this scent. I definitely need a eucalyptus cream in my rotation -- any other recommendations? I need paraben-free and the product seems to have very good reviews. thoughts?

4) I have been using my finger to take a dollop of cream out of the tub and then put it on the "top" of the brush (think toothpaste on a toothbrush) and then put it on my face and start lathering. Is this what I am supposed to be doing or am I supposed to be putting the cream more "in"side the brush like in the middle of it kind of? am I making any sense?

5) this might be REALLY dumb but does anyone use aftershave lotion and THEN balm? Or is it one or the other? I like the Muhle balm for soothing but I tried for the first time the other day my Speick lotion and LOVED the burn (does that make me sick? LOL) and loved my skin feeling, but I just felt in 1-2 spots on my neck some soothing balm on top might be really good. I just have no idea if you can mix these two things like one after the other?

Thanks so much for any thoughts, advice and replies!

1) does anyone use or know where to buy an actual comb for the shaving brush? might seem lame...but the hairs on the outside look really frayed or bent or worn etc and I figure it would help the brush last longer and look nicer in general if you actual ran a comb through the hairs to straighten them, etc? am I insane?

2) I was SO excited when I smelled my TOBS almond in the tub...but I found once on my face I really couldn't smell it at all...is this normal? it smells super good, I was hoping to at least get a whiff of it while on my face

3) I can already see how adding things can be addicting...I'm hoping to add one last cream to my collection and then stop...for now....haha - I have Speick, TOBS Organic and TOBS almond....think I have settled on the Taconic Eucalyptus/Mint -- it seems to be the "top" preservative-free very natural cream out there in this scent. I definitely need a eucalyptus cream in my rotation -- any other recommendations? I need paraben-free and the product seems to have very good reviews. thoughts?

4) I have been using my finger to take a dollop of cream out of the tub and then put it on the "top" of the brush (think toothpaste on a toothbrush) and then put it on my face and start lathering. Is this what I am supposed to be doing or am I supposed to be putting the cream more "in"side the brush like in the middle of it kind of? am I making any sense?

5) this might be REALLY dumb but does anyone use aftershave lotion and THEN balm? Or is it one or the other? I like the Muhle balm for soothing but I tried for the first time the other day my Speick lotion and LOVED the burn (does that make me sick? LOL) and loved my skin feeling, but I just felt in 1-2 spots on my neck some soothing balm on top might be really good. I just have no idea if you can mix these two things like one after the other?

Thanks so much for any thoughts, advice and replies!
1. Any old comb will work for this - you don't need a special one.
2. YMMV
3. Proraso is great but not paraben free.
4. Top of the brush is fine. Is this how you paste your toothbrush?:001_huh:
5. This is illegal where I come from. Check with your local law enforcement

Funny you mention this, because I am newer than you, but just had my first 'real' shave using TOBS Almond and (surprising to me) noticed the exact same thing!

But dayem, in a cup or bowl with ridges on the bottom, this stuff did a nice quick lather!

I'm going to try heading back to the shave-shop tomorrow to pick-up another soap if I get the time, maybe TOBS Avocado. Since it's only 10 bucks, I'm going to toss in a tub of Cella too, with whatever higher-end product I buy. I want to try a tallow soap, and since Cella is almond scented (and smelled much stronger scented than TOBS Almond directly out of the tub), I'll serendipitously be able to compare it with the TOBS in these regards.

I'll be happy to reply back to this thread if/when I work it into my regimen.

BTW - I specifically chose TOBS Almond of the many creams I sampled (40-50!), due it having amongst the most mellow & muted scent! Hah!

As for the brush, I let it do it's thing. The cream, no matter what I've learned to focus on scent last because it always goes away for me by the time I'm lathered and ready. I don't watch too closely what's in my creams, I just stick with what works by trial and error. When I face lather, I take the amount I'm going to use, rub it all over like I'm washing my face, then hit it with the brush. For after shave, I MAY use a balm here and there, but generally splash only, everyday.

#1 your brush does not need a comb. Any bent or frayed bristles will just repeat themselves next time you shave.

#4 your technique is about right so it is not necessary to change. Some people use a (small) (wooden) spatula to scoop out a dollop of cream, or load the brush tips by directly swiping the top of the container, but regardless of how you load the brush, getting the soap & water to your face in order to mix and generate lather is the main thing.

Funny you mention this, because I am newer than you, but just had my first 'real' shave using TOBS Almond and (surprising to me) noticed the exact same thing!

But dayem, in a cup or bowl with ridges on the bottom, this stuff did a nice quick lather!

I'm going to try heading back to the shave-shop tomorrow to pick-up another soap if I get the time, maybe TOBS Avocado. Since it's only 10 bucks, I'm going to toss in a tub of Cella too, with whatever higher-end product I buy. I want to try a tallow soap, and since Cella is almond scented (and smelled much stronger scented than TOBS Almond directly out of the tub), I'll serendipitously be able to compare it with the TOBS in these regards.

I'll be happy to reply back to this thread if/when I work it into my regimen.

BTW - I specifically chose TOBS Almond of the many creams I sampled (40-50!), due it having amongst the most mellow & muted scent! Hah!
Well, JDro hasn't been around since this post, but I figured I'd follow-up on my promise to comment upon Cella.

Unlike TOBS Almond, Cella's almond scent does linger slightly in the lather, and I like it! It smells great out of the my lathering mug - very mellow & smooth. It's extremely pleasing. I'm using the small red tub, for reference.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

1. You are over-thinking this. The brush is supposed to break in and become softer. No need for a comb
2. I've not used TOBS, so I can't say.
3. I'd check out the Nivea Shave Cream.
4. I find it easier to put it inside the brush; YMMV.
5. Sure, why not?

Top Bottom