What's new

Does P&G not have the original old spice recipe?

there's lot of reasons. sometimes products that they used to use to manufacture it may have gone out of production, so they had to substitute it. sometimes they have to changed chemicals due to the plastic bottle. sometimes things break down over time and change. chemicals included. so if you had a bottle of OS that was Brand New from 1980, and a bottle that's brand new form yesterday, there's a chance something in it has broken down over 20+ years so its possible that it's changed in the bottle. Unless you own a DeLorean with a Flux Capacitor in it, you'll never be able to compare them. Its also possible that they found an ingredient broke down over time and then changed it to remedy that to help shelf stability.

i'm sure that some, or all of these reasons are part of why it smells different. But... it still smells good. It's just my engineer brain doing the math of why companies I've worked for changed components in any product.

After all, all old spice is just alike, only different.

(Just to maintain the controversy)
I would like a glass bottle though. Even an empty one to refill. I just don't like the plastic.

P&G does not lie! Nope, no way! They say 5 blades are better, and I believe them. I still buy my blades in a 5 pack! :lol:
VERY interesting observation my friend. 5 IS better. Can't you just imagine the moment some creative think tank room exploded..."I've got it...Instead of putting blades in tucks of 5, we'll put all 5 blades in ONE razor".

As for the glass (or pseudo glass) bottle, I agree. I would love to get my Old Spice in a glass bottle again. I kick myself for having thrown out my bottle from the 90's. I know that's not all that old but it was the last one I bought that was glass.

Oh Well...so many after shaves and colognes ...so few days to wear them. Soon enough, my stock will be considered vintage by some future hipster.

As for why P&G would lie to us, I will counter with why WOULDN'T P&G lie to us? Those in charge make a living lying to us. They are not responsible to the customer. They are responsible to the stockholders. The corporate business model is all about greed and deception. Don't forget the Big Lie, that each new "shaving system" is the best, and that straight razors, cream or soap, and a brush are obsolete or even hazardous. Look at their "deoderant" products. They STINK. They REEK. But they are more profitable than an alum block, which lasts for a year or more, and they can be shrouded in proprietary secrecy. They don't like us. They don't care about us. We consumers are simply a magic money mine. So how do you tell if a grooming mega-corporation spokesperson is lying or not? Just check and see if his lips are moving.

Whether it is due to a change of formula, change in ingredients, effects of plastic bottling, cheaper manufacturing process, whatever-- new OS and old OS are different. P&G says not. They lie, and it takes very little reason for them to lie. The tiniest potential for profit from the sheeple is plenty reason enough to lie. Lies, lies, lies. Corporate greed. Cleverly deceptive, ubiquitous and relentlous marketing. They are NOT the good guys here.

Dont ask me how I REALLY feel. Cant be printed here.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions of course and I respect yours. You clearly care way more about this single AS product than I care about most things in my life, except my wife, kids, both careers and my music. However, I still don't buy in the whole consipiracy theory, sorry. The whole "5 blades is better" argument to me is besides the point. There's IMHO, a difference between marketing and fraud. 5 blades stuff is marketing to make money and, for some people, it is better, simpler, ect...

Today's paper.
Must be the 'new' formula...

proxy.php

Maybe the original recipe IS the problem. The sources of ingredients would have to change over time. Different crops different storage, maybe different purity could all change the scent. If they are simply following a fixed recipe and not making adjustments as necessary, I'd be surprised if the scent didn't change.

Maybe the original recipe IS the problem. The sources of ingredients would have to change over time. Different crops different storage, maybe different purity could all change the scent. If they are simply following a fixed recipe and not making adjustments as necessary, I'd be surprised if the scent didn't change.

That's an excellent point, whih follows what's been said earlier about changes in suppliers or cheaper ingredients. All very valid hypotheses.

It seems like so many want the original scent but you have to buy the vintage stuff for 50 plus dollars,
I have had lots of success finding vintage bottles of Old Spice at Antique Stores for anywhere from $1 to $10. I have a lifetime supply of it now and have spent less than $50 on the whole lot of it. Get off eBay and start hunting Antique and Thrift Stores.

buy a similar aftershave (I use Sterling Spice), or make a mixture of I think Avon Spice, New Old Spice formula, and the dollar store Old Spice.
If you have no luck finding vintage Old Spice at antique stores, you should at least be able to find vintage Avon Spicy at antique stores. It is way more abundant and usually much cheaper. I can find it all the time for $1-$5. It is a clone of the original Old Spice formula and is closer than you will get with any modern mix. And mixing anything into the Avon Spicy is just going to make it more different than Shulton OS. I have mixed up many different blends and the Original Spicy is the best substitute.

As I recall, initially it had to be modified off the start because of the switch to plastic bottles.
My understanding as well. I thought they admitted that? I don't know why there's conflicting reports now.

If the formula is not changed, how then does one reconcile the fact the Old Spice from India .... more closely resembles the "old" Shulton formula...hmm.
This is exactly what I was thinking too. The Indian makers are still using the Shulton formula. It smells better than the P&G stuff for sure.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions of course and I respect yours. You clearly care way more about this single AS product than I care about most things in my life, except my wife, kids, both careers and my music. However, I still don't buy in the whole consipiracy theory, sorry. The whole "5 blades is better" argument to me is besides the point. There's IMHO, a difference between marketing and fraud. 5 blades stuff is marketing to make money and, for some people, it is better, simpler, ect...

I don't buy the conspiracy theory either - because there is no reason for a conspiracy. P&G would have absolutely nothing to lose by saying "Yes, the formula has been changed slightly over time to accommodate the evolving tastes of consumers", or "Due to the availability of ingredients and technological advancements, certain ingredients have been changed, with the goal of maintaining the classic, Old Spice scent" or something like that. If everyone on B&B decided to boycott Old Spice or P&G products, it would not affect their bottom line one bit. I suppose it's possible that some higher up at P&G has a deep, personal hatred of all of us wet shavers, and has instructed his underlings to lie to us out of spite, just to really stick it to us . . . nah, that's ridiculous too.

One caveat - someone made a good point - what exactly is meant by "formula"? It is possible, and perhaps even likely that some ingredients may have changed over the years due to regulations, availability, advancements, etc., but nothing that P&G would consider "The Formula" that gives it the scent. The truth is, we don't know and will never know; I'm just not buying the cover-up theory.

I would love to get my Old Spice in a glass bottle again. I kick myself for having thrown out my bottle from the 90's. I know that's not all that old but it was the last one I bought that was glass..

How do you think I felt when I dropped a 1990's P&G glass bottle of Old Spice and it broke into pieces a few years ago! :cryin:

If you want a glass bottle, just buy one of the 50 ml or 150 ml glass bottles of the Original Old Spice aftershave from India or Europe. There's also a 150 ml Old Spice Original Eau de toilette glass bottle that's made in Europe.

I've been finding it hard to locate the 6.37 oz. plastic bottle of USA Old Spice Classic Cologne. Not only is it stronger than the aftershave, but it smells spicier to me.

You can count me in the group who used OS when I was growing up in the 1960s. Continue to use it to this day.

The product today is different IMO, it the same family but definitely different!

Last edited:
Look at it this way. The formula probably hasn't changed but the ingredients being used probably have. Look at soda pop, up until the 90's (guessing around this time frame) pop changed. I am a Pepsi product fan so look at the ingredients now. Instead of using sugar as a sweetener but sometime in the 80's or 90's most pop, actually most anything is sweetened using high fructose corn syrup instead. It is still sweet, the taste is similar and it save a huge amount of money using it. So why would P&G be any different on using alternative ingredients. Let's just say they sell one million bottles of aftershave(I have no clue what is sold just an example) and let's say the old ingredients to keep making the Shulton Old Spice cost say $1 more per bottle that would equal $1,000,000. Now since the company can find cheaper or similar ingredients to make a bottle that smells similar to the original and they can charge the same price and yet save a dollar why wouldn't they? There isn't many companies out there that wouldn't do that to make a dollar. It's all about the Benjamin's. They certainly wouldn't be making it if there weren't people buying it. I don't use it anymore and still have a little left in my old glass bottle that is 30 plus years old. That last little bit is going into another melted puck of VDH and it makes an awesome soap and scent. It is a little strong now after the years but it still smells sweet and spicy.

Another thought just popped into my head. If you don't think it is strong enough pull the cap out and let some of the alcohol evaporate. I would think that would add to the strength if it. Also, I haven't ever tried the aftershave what I have is the cologne. Can the cologne even be had these days? I was on the lookout for it and only found the aftershave at Dollar General.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Look at it this way. The formula probably hasn't changed but the ingredients being used probably have. Look at soda pop, up until the 90's (guessing around this time frame) pop changed. I am a Pepsi product fan so look at the ingredients now. Instead of using sugar as a sweetener but sometime in the 80's or 90's most pop, actually most anything is sweetened using high fructose corn syrup instead. It is still sweet, the taste is similar and it save a huge amount of money using it. So why would P&G be any different on using alternative ingredients. Let's just say they sell one million bottles of aftershave(I have no clue what is sold just an example) and let's say the old ingredients to keep making the Shulton Old Spice cost say $1 more per bottle that would equal $1,000,000. Now since the company can find cheaper or similar ingredients to make a bottle that smells similar to the original and they can charge the same price and yet save a dollar why wouldn't they? There isn't many companies out there that wouldn't do that to make a dollar. It's all about the Benjamin's. They certainly wouldn't be making it if there weren't people buying it. I don't use it anymore and still have a little left in my old glass bottle that is 30 plus years old. That last little bit is going into another melted puck of VDH and it makes an awesome soap and scent. It is a little strong now after the years but it still smells sweet and spicy.

Excellent Post. Shulton OS is the Old Coca-Cola Classic in the glass bottle. The P&G OS is the new Coke in a can. :)

Top Bottom