What's new

cigars aren't easy to buy

So I'm a bit disappointed as Most of you know Iam new to cigar smoking Ive coming to realize a couple things. Even if I order a few nice cigars in singles say from like a bid site I'm still going to be paying the same amount for the cigar in the end with shipping even though it's a single cigar. Then if I buy a box let's say there's a chance that I don't like that cigar. The most I'm going to pay is eight dollars a stick. Anyway i got a RP [FONT=verdana, sans-serif]The Edge Habano I'm going to try today[/FONT]

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Do you have a local cigar shop you can buy from? I rarely order cigars online. I visit the local shop and pick out a few different cigars I haven't tried. But I haven't done this in a while.

I've also never bought a full box of cigars. Maybe one day.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If I buy a box of something I know I'm all over, I might do that online (matter of availability, primarily, or large differences in price). Otherwise, I buy at my local.

I hear you. I'm more into pipes now, but have ordered from some online places.

I usually ordered 5 packs or samplers. I stl have an almost full box of Illusione cg4's. They ended up being my absolute favorite. Love em

I only buy bulk cigars online. Meaning... either samplers, packs, or boxes. If you only want a stick or two, your best bet is a B&M.

the only B&M I know of that I go is the tinderbox and a tobacconist local there's also some in downtown St. Louis. But the only problem is I don't drive so I normally have to wait to go places till wife gets home and unfortunately she doesn't like sitting in the car waiting for me because I like to talk a lot go figure. so it's either order online or wait I also just someone to take the chance getting a cigar that is just horrible with the sample packs because I've heard some interesting stories and they're not cheap.picked up a hygrometer from Walmart today as well it's a little bit bigger than I wanted I will post a picture soon.

Fortunately I have a great B&M shop where I'm a member in their lounge. I do order cigar online, but not too many singles, usually 5 packs or boxes.
My experience and advice is to let any cigar you buy online sit in your humidor at least a month to let it "stabilize". Some places ship with humi packs and some slightly over humidify to allow of shipping time. Some do nothing and the cigars can dry out some in shipping. I personally can tell a difference if I let them sit for a month or so.
I don't know what kind of hygrometer you got but, I would suggest an electronic hygrometer. They are more accurate. Be sure to check the calibration of any type that you get. The method of doing this can be found easily by googling it.
Long Ashes!

not sure i got the right one its an acurite $IMG_0113.JPG

Wait for your wife to take you to a smoke shop and buy several singles of different types. Then, buy a 5 pack online of the kind(s) you liked to hold you over until the next time you can go to the smoke shop. Then you can get all new singles to try.

Not related to the buying online thing, but the RP Edge is my go-to cigar. First one I had kicked my butt though, I was only used to the chain grocery store cigars. I ended the night asleep on the floor spread eagle under the ceiling fan.

I get some from http://cigarbid.com. It's an auction site, so you do have to be patient, but I have found a ton of cigars that I wouldn't have normally bought at full price. It's related to Cigars International.

Anything new from an online sources stays in the humidor for a minimum of 2 weeks before smoking. I trust that the vendors are storing their merchandise correctly, but I don't trust plastic bags for 2-3 days in shipping.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I think what you mean to say is that cigar are not cheap to buy. Whether it's effort, money, or your wife patience, it'll cost you.

I will try a single from a local shop, but generally don't buy locally because the taxes (NY) are absurd. I have a set of parameters - strength and size - that I use to order (generally five at a time) on line. I let those rest for a bit and then keep notes as I smoke them. When I find something that I like (after smoking the five), I'll sometimes buy a box. I generally have two boxes going and another two humidors of +/- 50 (total) at any time. Over the last few years I've tried and kept notes on probably sixty or so different cigars and the system has worked quite well for me.

Cigars International has great shipping deals. Famous Smoke does as well. You can also get free shipping at Famous Smoke if you couple it with a purchase from Cigar Monster (owned by Famous Smoke).

I mainly order from one source online, cigarhustler.com Mike is amazing, you can grab singles, samplers or boxes. THe prices aren't as good as the monster but you're supporting a small business with amazing service. Check out RomaCraft, they're my go to smokes. Great flavorfull cigars and a great company. Hit me up if you have questions. I've been known to smoke a stogie or 2.....

I have been ordering them online for a long time now. The only bad experience I had with online buying is that a vendor didn't include a moisturizing pad in the box.

And believe me my fellow American cigar smokers, here in Europe those stogies cost way more. You are paying way less compared to us. Thank God I found a cigar vendor which sends the cigars from a tax free zone (Cubans and Non Cubans). If I would buy a box of Montecristo No 2 (CC) locally I would pay 180 EUR more compared to the tax free vendor (twice the price lol).

Just in case anyone wondered about which vendor it is: http://www.cigarsofhabanos.com/

I'm not trying to promote any shop in my opinion people are paying way too much for cigars due tax etc.

Top Bottom