What's new

The greatest soap on Earth: Tabac

I just started using Tabac a couple of weeks ago (Thanks, Perfumania!) and it is AMAZING. So slick, and smells great. My wife and I both agree on that point.

Quid est veritas?

In matters of the intellect and will, truth can be determined. In matters of the senses, it remains entirely subjective. I suppose we could subject Tabac and all the soaps to some rigorous testing, once standards of lather-ability, lubrication, and cushion could be established. But, for now, it cannot be determined. Live with that...YMMV does not reflect truth, only ones own subjective experience.

Public service announcement time: And, now it's (puck with bowl) back in stock at Perfumania for $9.99 and free shipping.

Quid est veritas?

In matters of the intellect and will, truth can be determined. In matters of the senses, it remains entirely subjective. I suppose we could subject Tabac and all the soaps to some rigorous testing, once standards of lather-ability, lubrication, and cushion could be established. But, for now, it cannot be determined. Live with that...YMMV does not reflect truth, only ones own subjective experience.

YMMV does reflect the truth in a review of a product.
The reviewer describes their personal experience with the product based on their criteria, relating to other similar products they have used (or expectations).

Since the reviewer has no way of knowing other peoples tastes/re-actions/likes etc. it simply means that "while product X works (or does not) for me, it may or may not work for you".

Soap, cream, blades, brushes, razors, aftershaves etc are all YMMV.

If gsurko finds Tabac the greatest soap on earth it's all good and who could fault him for it? :001_rolle
Fault?!
Where did you read that? Definitely not in my post.

I have no problem with gsurko finding Tabac the greatest soap. Furthermore I have it my den too and use it from time to time.
All I am saying it is not the best soap. Can you live with that?

Certainly my favorite soap. I find that its trickly to match with an aftershave apart from Tabac (ofcourse...) or Pinaud Clubman. It is fantastic to use though. My wife and her family are German and after asking for the soap a for Christmas '13, from my MIL, I have received 2 jars for each birthday and Christmas since then! I have quiet a stockpile of the stuff. Not even finished the original one yet!!!

I don't find that the cream is as good though.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Fault?!
Where did you read that? Definitely not in my post.

I have no problem with gsurko finding Tabac the greatest soap. Furthermore I have it my den too and use it from time to time.
All I am saying it is not the best soap. Can you live with that?

You wrote: Definitely not the greatest soap on Earth.
And YMMV has noting to do with it.

I was responding to this. I can live with it if you can live with being a tad disingenuous, or at the very least coming off with a poor choice of words...or both. -cheers

My kids got me Tabac (soap in the jar) for Christmas.

I did not expect it to live up to its reputation, but this soap has an excellent reputation for a reason. The lather is incredibly easy to build, and it provides top-notch slickness and cushion. The scent is timelessly masculine, and this impression is verified by the Mrs.

This is one soap I'll keep stocked, along with Palmolive (euro) and Cade. Now, to find a strongly-scented lavender soap in the same class as these...Art of Shaving lavender cream is a good product, but a bit spendy in my opinion.

Certainly my favorite soap. I find that its trickly to match with an aftershave apart from Tabac (ofcourse...) or Pinaud Clubman. It is fantastic to use though. My wife and her family are German and after asking for the soap a for Christmas '13, from my MIL, I have received 2 jars for each birthday and Christmas since then! I have quiet a stockpile of the stuff. Not even finished the original one yet!!!

I don't find that the cream is as good though.

I don't have Tabac's AS, so I use the VEG! :Veg:

I think it works pretty well. Got any Veg laying about?

I don't have Tabac's AS, so I use the VEG! :Veg:

I think it works pretty well. Got any Veg laying about?

In the UK, we can't buy Pinaud off the shelf. Recently I got a bottle of Clubman via amazon and it was split in the box, so my entire house smelt of it. I wasn't popular and it was the end of me mail ordering AS...
Next time I'm in the US, ill try some though ;)

The greatest soap on Earth: Tabac Discuss.

Wait, what????

I though Proraso was supposed to be the best thing since canned corned beef??? Or was it Haslinger?

Which is it. :confused1 You are confusing me. Can't you guys make up your mind?

What happened to CRS and CF? Aren't they supposed to be "the best" (oh wait, those are creams).

All things being equal, and I believe they are, I much prefer the scent of Arko over that of Tabac. I do not dislike Tabac, I just think Arko is superior because of its scent. As always, YMMV.

Tim

I used Tabac for the first time last night.
It's now in my top five head shaving soaps.
Thanks B&B for the encouragement to get it, and the tip to get it cheap from Perfumania! I'm a Tabac Fan!!!

Attachments

• $_20160210_000650.jpg
    $_20160210_000650.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 61
For what soaps I've tried it's a five way tie in no particular order: Tabac, Stirling, Razo Rock, MWF, Proraso. The scent of Tabac has always been pleasant to me and to SWMBO and if you haven't tried the AS splash, do!

Top Bottom