What's new

Ever Ready, wood handle, "A"

Here's my most recent project, this Ever Ready with a wood handle base. The only marking other than the ER logo shown on the front is the letter "A" on the back side.

$IMG_5481.jpg

I've seen lots of these old wooden handle brushes over the years, of various brands, and usually the wood is in tough shape, so I generally pass on them. I'm not a wood worker, by any means, so the whole stripping, sanding, staining and finishing process isn't something I'm really set up to do. Even though the wood condition on this one was likewise pretty rough, the top portion of the handle was in good shape, and it was cheap, so I picked it up. And, I do like the classic shape of these mini-barber style handles. This one had been sitting around for quite a while as I have been devoting time to other stuff.

I knotted this with a TGN 18mm Finest set at 45mm, which I think came out looking nice in terms of proportion. I find the mid-40s loft range about perfect for the smaller TGN finest knots when used (as I mostly do) for face lathering. I'll have to say that despite my general lack of skills in the wood working department, I'm happy with the results. But it was a lot more work than the typical restore.

So this restore was educational, but now that it's done I'm pretty sure that my policy of walking away from old wood handles will probably be reinstated :001_smile.

Very nice! :thumbup:
Just picked up a wood handle barber similar to that one that I thought I may attempt to restore some day. Your photo inspires! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom