What's new

Time for an update.

I just realized that it's been a while since I posted anything here and thought it might be time for an update.

Bottom line - along about the 90th shave (alternating between my Parker SR1 and a couple of straights - the Heavens parted, birds sang, children began dancing and I started getting BBS shaves! Don't ask what I started doing differently, it just happened...

I have a very nice Gillette New (antique store find), but it doesn't shave anywhere as comfortably as the bare steel. I use that when I find myself short on time and would be rushed with the straights - learned very early on that's not a good combination!

I'm finding that I use the Parker more than the straights - the time factor, I guess. I've been able to maintain a good edge, but something about having an automatic sharp blade is appealing. I use the Derby 1/2 blades and took Slash McCoy's advice about using a cork to smooth the edge and blunting the corner of the blade on a mirror - those two things made a significant difference.

All this to say, I'm deeply appreciative of everyone here that's so generous to share their experiences and ideas. I never dreamed that I would enjoy my morning shave as much as I do now!

Nice update. Bunting the edges is a good tip as is the cork conditioning. Is the SR1 the all metal model or the one you push blades into?

The SR1 is all stainless (at least the business end of it, not sure about the scales). It uses the 1/2 blade and has the clamp to hold the blade.

Thank you for the reply - I had watched some videos of people using this particular razor and the results looked to be very good. I went to look at shavettes before purchasing straights - figured it would be a gateway to eventually trying straights , but went directly to the straights. Figured that the quality would be better than some of the very cheap shavettes you can get off of eBay and not as expensive as the Feathers. Sounds like they are working well for you and that is what is important.

Regards,

Pete

Top Bottom