What's new

Country Ham, Red-eye gravy & Cat-head biscuits

Thanks for the nudging. This morning's breakfast. I had never heard of a cathead biscuit until a few years ago. I prefer small biscuits for the crispies on the outside. And the best one is the snake biscuit, in the upper left of the photo, made from the last little bit of dough that was too small to use the cutter on. Anson Mills pencil cob grits.

Yes, grits were soaked overnight, and cooked for about 2 hours at a slow simmer. Nice and creamy. Pan was deglazed with coffee(fresh batch from an Ethiopian friend who has started a coffee company, Disasa Buna), with some extra water added to get the volume I wanted. Ham was some thicker sliced stuff from the grocery store.
But yes, all of breakfast was my doings.

We love cathead biscuits so much we named our cat biscuit head. The Daniel Boone Inn in Boone, NC serves family style, and they have really good country ham, grits and red eye. I also like creamy sausage gravy over biscuits. Another good place for Southern family style food is the Hemlock Inn in Bryson City, N.C.

Attachments

• $Daddys_Rise_and_Shine_Biscuits_and_Sausage_Gravy_recipe.jpg
    $Daddys_Rise_and_Shine_Biscuits_and_Sausage_Gravy_recipe.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 64
As much as I love sausage gravy and red eye gravy, the undisputed queen of all southern gravy is tomato gravy. Particularly in the early summer, after fresh garden tomatoes come in season.

Lots of bacon and tomatoes cooked into a gravy and dumped on a biscuit, what is there not to like? I can't eat it these days but I used to eat this until I was almost sick. This looks like a pretty good recipe, but I'd substitute fresh garden tomatoes for the tomato juice. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/old-fashioned-tomato-gravy

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
For mater gravy, try a can of RoTels. Make your roux with flour and bacon grease, and go medium brown with it. Carmelize some onions in it. Dump in a can of RoTels. Give it a dollop of ketchup. Cook it down, add water or milk as needed and desired. Good mater gravy, yeh, and nice n spicy. Quick, too.

As much as I love sausage gravy and red eye gravy, the undisputed queen of all southern gravy is tomato gravy. Particularly in the early summer, after fresh garden tomatoes come in season.

Lots of bacon and tomatoes cooked into a gravy and dumped on a biscuit, what is there not to like? I can't eat it these days but I used to eat this until I was almost sick. This looks like a pretty good recipe, but I'd substitute fresh garden tomatoes for the tomato juice. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/old-fashioned-tomato-gravy

isn't this just marinara sauce?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Okay you guys are killing me. I need to de-rail the thread.

What is the difference between a Northern Zoo and a Southern Zoo?

Both zoos have the names of the animals on the cage, the southern zoo include recipes as well.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hey, in South Louisiana, if its got a face on it and it's not a dog or a person, it is okay to kill it, cook it, and eat it.

Top Bottom