What's new

Poutine

So I have been seeing all the mentions of poutine lately, and since I have been feeding my wife a steady diet of crappies, venison, elk and salad the last few weeks, she has almost excitedly agreed to a dinner of poutine and beer.

I have had a chuck roast and gravy in the crock pot since 6:00 this morning, she picked up a fresh bag of curds yesterday; about all I have to do is cook fries and chop green onions.

Any other favorite poutine toppings/recipes?

I will send some pics, as I put it together. Promise.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Boy [MENTION=96782]JaredB[/MENTION], I was really hoping some more Yanks would chime in with their favorite poutine recipes. Give them time their stuck in the snow.

Do some at the smokehouse with pulled pork and beer battered curds. I sell too many and will most likely take them off the menu because its too much work to do them and do all the BBQ!

I usually have it plain, fries gravy and cheese, with some ketchup.
Not a huge fan actually, but on occasions after a late evening out it sure hits the spot.

So, I was thinking.... On a thread a while back people were talking about not being able to find cheese curds. Here in MN, they are pretty much available fresh at most decent gas stations. To anyone who is interested in getting in, I am offering to PIF a couple of pounds of fresh curds to a random person who says "I'm in". Let's let the thread go where it may, and then I'll pick a winner. It might give me time to figure out how to keep them cold if I have to ship them south. :)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
1st prize: one pound of cheese curds.
2nd prize: two pounds of cheese curds.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Lovely thought but freshness doesn't travel well in this case. I envy the availability of fresh curds.

Well, it is cheese. If I sent it from MN leaving in January and packed it right, (dry ice or freezer packs) a two day ship would get you plenty fresh cheese. Anyone's call.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My memory could be foggy, but I could have sworn the poutine I had in Montreal had beef gravy.

I have only ever eaten it with beef, but I have seen everything from BBQ to seafood. Tonights roast beef poutine:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454033578.212755.jpg

I believe beef gravy is the usual. With the possibility of someone from Quebec wanting to hang me for this... you can put whatever suits your tastes on your fries. Poutine is another YMMV item! :laugh:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I believe beef gravy is the usual. With the possibility of someone from Quebec wanting to hang me for this... you can put whatever suits your tastes on your fries. Poutine is another YMMV item! :laugh:

Okay, cool. I have seen chicken gravy referenced from time to time so I wasn't sure. Since you eat hamburgers with fries, it only makes sense that beef gravy should be used.

that's what i remember too, beef gravy... however, i'll take any gravy :)

you guy making me hungry, since i don't know where to buy curds from i'll settle for some Greek potatoes (hit - you can't go wrong if double, triple or quadruple the garlic! )

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nothing beats the classic. Gravy, chips and cheese curds. It has to be curds. When you build it, add some layers to it, fries, cheese, fries, cheese, etc. Your sauce needs to be super hot. that way it will melt the cheese a bit but not too much.

When I have made it for a group, I build the layers, then stick them under the broiler for just a minute, until the curds start to go soft. Then I pour the gravy on. Seems to work pretty well.

I'm in Michigan and even as a Canadian border state, I've never had it. I have heard that if you stop by KFC and grab a tub of their gravy to use, it's really good!

Top Bottom