What's new

Fancy Pizza

There are a hundred threads about pizza, but i don't want to dig up one from 2012...

Last night's dinner: Store bought crust (I'm lazy) baked at 400 for 5 minutes then brushed with olive oil, garlic paste, italian seasoning. Topped with a little motz to bind it, bacon, carmelized onions and apples, mushrooms, brie, and scallions (cause they were in the fridge)

GF was pissed that I made this "fancy" pizza while she was out of town :lol:

$IMG_1348.jpg

What do you put on your pizza when you are trying to step it up?

You had me at bacon and onions.

What else was on that pie?!?!?! Canned artichoke hearts would have been a good addition to your list too btw

I am not allowed to make pie very often so when SWMO does relent it is always homemade dough and homemade tomato based sauce, sausage, pepperoni, motz/parm cheese, mushrooms, black olives, onions and red bell pepper.

proxy.php

proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Topped with a little motz to bind it, bacon, carmelized onions and apples, mushrooms, brie, and scallions (cause they were in the fridge)

The hipster pizzeria where I work has a very similar one, and it's great:

Fresh mozzarella, parmigiano-reggiano, bacon, crushed walnuts, gorgonzola and apples. I may have to get some for lunch.

What do you put on your pizza when you are trying to step it up?
I usually keep it pretty simple. Typically 2 toppings. Maybe 3. All sorts of stuff can be used for toppings whether it's the typical options or unusual stuff. I made a prosciutto & melon pizza that was tasty. I've used smoked duck though I can't recall what was on the pizza with it.

Stepping it up isn't just about toppings but the dough/crust, the sauce and baking process as well for me. The other half is on a low carb diet so it has been a very long time since I've made one but I always make a slow ferment dough, divide and freeze what won't be used immediately. The frozen dough can be easily thawed and used. Cooking is a process in itself as it takes my stone about an hour to heat up. Would be nice to have a dedicated pizza oven but it would be a waste right now. For now, I just hit up one or the other of two excellent nearby Neapolitan pizza places.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Right on! That is a fancy pizza! There's a place around here with something similar (and divine), but it's not quite that.

The fanciest one that tends to come out of our oven is prosciutto, spinach that has been sauteed with garlic, black beans, WSU dill garlic cheese, sweet onion, and cherry tomatoes that have been halved and "carefully" placed around the top. Sometimes, halved kalamata olives make it on there.

That is, unless you count our super chili cheese dog pizza. That's chili (as the sauce), cheddar cheese, sliced Hebrew National franks (often the dinner franks, but not always), diced white onion, and pickled jalapenos (usually just on half). We tried adding Fritos, but that didn't work, so they are just on the side.

I don't have any pics, I'm sorry to say. It's time we had another pizza night, though, so I might be able to fix that.

One of the places nearby has a pizza with a parmesan cream sauce, smoked mozzarella, grilled chicken, bacon, pine nuts, and topped with fresh arugula at the end. It's one of my favorites now. I think I might need to try making that one at home soon.

That is, unless you count our super chili cheese dog pizza. That's chili (as the sauce), cheddar cheese, sliced Hebrew National franks (often the dinner franks, but not always), diced white onion, and pickled jalapenos (usually just on half). We tried adding Fritos, but that didn't work, so they are just on the side.

Wow... just wow. My cholesterol went up just reading that one. Now im going to have to try it :)

One of the places nearby has a pizza with a parmesan cream sauce, smoked mozzarella, grilled chicken, bacon, pine nuts, and topped with fresh arugula at the end. It's one of my favorites now. I think I might need to try making that one at home soon.

Another one to put on the list for sure! gotta figure out the cream sauce though

Anchovies, spicy salami, mozzarella, tomato sauce and roasted garlic purée for me. Oh, two I've not made myself but we're favourites in Italy were honey and ricotta, and pear and gorgonzola

Last edited:
Oh man you guys are making me hungry and SWMBO has me on a diet and working out since I turned 50 last week. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :wheelchair:

The wife and I make pizza from scratch every Friday. (tonight!)

Standard is mozz, pepperoni, salami, hot peppers and feta. Sometimes add chunky roasted tomatoes and garlic to instead of regular sauce.
Occasionally we go with bacon and onion. Or fajita steak, onions, peppers and cheese.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Wow... just wow. My cholesterol went up just reading that one. Now im going to have to try it :)
Do it, man. You won't regret it (until, perhaps, the next morning).

Just use your favorite canned/chili dog chili for it, warmed up a little so that it spreads. Pile about 4-5 ounces of grated cheddar (nothing fancy--we use Kraft sharp cheddar. Slice the franks about 1/4 inch. Dice the onion coarsely. If you want the pickled jalapenos, give them a rough chop.

I've thought about going with pepperoncini, but just haven't done so.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My pizza taste is simple- pepperoni and extra cheese. If I want to get fancy I may add onion, bell pepper, and/or green olives.

So we made some plain cheese and some speck and arugula pies last week with the snow in in VA, but out it was not using our normal baking stone , but a new baking steel that I got around thanksgiving time, Holy carp, it was outstanding...

Anyone ever heard of this thing ?

Home made dough, first layer triple cream brie, then upwards- shaved Brussel sprouts, chopped,toasted walnuts, shaved goats milk Gouda drizzled with honey.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

... and a bowl of soup...

proxy.php

dave

Last edited:
So we made some plain cheese and some speck and arugula pies last week with the snow in in VA, but out it was not using our normal baking stone , but a new baking steel that I got around thanksgiving time, Holy carp, it was outstanding...

Anyone ever heard of this thing ?

Baking steel? Very interesting... it sounds like the science is there... Seems pretty expensive for a hunk of steel though.

Home made dough, first layer triple cream brie, then upwards- shaved Brussel sprouts, chopped,toasted walnuts, shaved goats milk Gouda drizzled with honey.
... and a bowl of soup...
dave​

...drooling...

Top Bottom