Dinner or Supper?

Dinner or Supper?

• Dinner

• Supper

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I would like to ask all of our members to contribute to Ouch International's Fund For The Postprandially Deprived. We will forward all proceeds (less the standard 82% administrative fee) to Dachshund63.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I would like to ask all of our members to contribute to Ouch International's Fund For The Postprandially Deprived. We will forward all proceeds (less the standard 82% administrative fee) to Dachshund63.

I can donate half a sausage link and some hummus...I've also got a scoop or two of dog chow. :001_smile

I will gladly sweep up the french fries that are in my car floorboard to donate to the cause! There has got to be thirty or more of them!
And some out of date MRE packs! MMM, MMM good!:lol:

I grew up in a small southern town. My grandparents on one side were farmers and the others worked in the cotton mills.

They always referred to the noon meal as dinner and the evening meal as supper.

Seems like in most places these days, dinner is the evening meal and supper has gone by the wayside.

My family used them the opposite. On holidays, like thanksgiving, when we eat around 2 or 3 and it's the main meal of the day, we would call it supper. On normal days when lunch is light fare and the main meal of the day is eaten in the evenings, it's dinner.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I can donate half a sausage link and some hummus...I've also got a scoop or two of dog chow. :001_smile

I will gladly sweep up the french fries that are in my car floorboard to donate to the cause! There has got to be thirty or more of them!
And some out of date MRE packs! MMM, MMM good!:lol:

And once again the B&B donation juggernaut kicks into high gear.

Fear not, Dachshund63- you'll be sleeping with a full belly before you know it.

My neighbors growing up were much older and farm folk. They had dinner at noon and supper i the evening.
Yep, this is how I grew up. We are a farming and ranching family with an other business that supports farming and ranching.
My parents still say lunch is dinner and dinner is supper. I moved to the city after high school and haven't lived that lifestyle for the last 30 years so I have become accustom to lunch and dinner.

It used to be a class/geographical distinguishing feature here in the UK. Probably less so now.

Dinner was often used among the workers to denote a mid-day meal, ie lunch. The evening meal was "tea". (This was the usage in my family when I was a kid). I still hear this a lot now.

As SWMBO comes from a posher part of the UK, I've now been trained to use lunch and dinner. Tea is the wonderful drink without which life would not be worth living, and supper doesn't feature at all for me.
This, almost to the letter.

We call it dinner. I'm OK with supper, though.

But I'm NOT OK with calling a mid-day meal "dinner." No. Dinner is an evening meal, period. Mid-day meals are "lunch," always.

Out on the farm in Ansley, Nebraska we had dinner at noon and supper at six o'clock. My Aunt cooked all meals on a wood stove, My brother and I toted a lot of firewood.

Dinner.

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Though, my family always had Sunday Dinner all early...like 3pm. /shrug

Growing up on a farm we had dinner at noon, lunch (in the field) around 4 pm and supper when we got home around 10 pm.

Top Bottom