What's new

Cufflinks, Lapel & Tie Pins

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Anyone still use tie pins, tie clips or lapel pins? I love them. Don't always wear one but here are a few that I won from sales awards and/or gifted. Show us your favorites. My favorite is the tophat.

$IMG_1693[1].jpg

strop

Now half as wise
I wore tie bars many years ago, but could never get used to the idea of poking a hole in a nice silk tie.

Yeah Tie Pins/bars used to really be the thing , kept the tie straight and together. Then the collar bars (occasionally they would slip off on one side , not cool) , they looked cool , if they'd stay on , I never got into chuff-links , but had some , just hated wearing those shirts . My brother loves them . I think it was like jewelry , sort of . I guess it was . The tie pins and bars that had the button chain did keep the tie from flying over your shoulder out in the wind . That was nice .

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I never cared for putting holes in my ties, either. Same thing with lapel pins on suits.

I use a tie pin, but I poke it through the band on the back of the wider end where you slip the narrower end through. That way, it serves the purpose of "tie"ing the tie down while avoiding punching holes in the nice silk.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I use a tie pin, but I poke it through the band on the back of the wider end where you slip the narrower end through. That way, it serves the purpose of "tie"ing the tie down while avoiding punching holes in the nice silk.

That would have the added benefit of making people wonder "Hey, how does he keep his tie in place?" :biggrin:

Cufflinks and lapel pins but no tie pins for me. Partially on this subject - what does everyone do to stop their necktie snug to the shirt collarbone (other than a tie bar). This is something I've struggled with for a while. Very annoying.

Not sure where it is at the moment, but I tend to use a tiger eye tie pin with a button chain. I don't wear light or monocolor ties though, so it's easy to poke a hole in a part of the pattern where it's not readily visible if I don't want to wear a pin. Never used collar bars.

When I wore a suit to work every day, I preferred French cuffs, and had (still have) quite a cuff link collection. Now I only use cuff links with a tux. For ties, I used tack through the inevitable label or purpose built strap on most ties. Nowadays, I use things like "tie buddies" a cloth or plastic strip that goes through those labels/strips and buttons onto two adjacent buttons. Keeps tie within a narrow range with no visible jewelry.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That would have the added benefit of making people wonder "Hey, how does he keep his tie in place?" :biggrin:

I like messing with people, so that appeals to me. I once spent one day adding "no pun intended" to things I was saying, whether or not there was a pun in there. It was fun watching people try to figure out what the heck I was talking about, but wouldn't ask.

Cuff links yes, I find French cuff shirts more comfortable.

No need for a tie-bar, I usually wear bow ties.

I wear cufflinks on occasion, the wife got me a very nice monogrammed set for our wedding. Very rarely wear a tie bar, but wear a lapel pin quite often.

IMO, cuff links, which are small, and made from precious metals or stones, antique coins, etc., really dress up an outfit. I think cloth, knot, links give a special look to a sport coat or blazer.

I sometime wear knit ties with wool jackets. When I do, I do not hesitate to use a small gold tack. I have two, one set with a star ruby and another set with a piece of jade. No sense in letting them stay hidden away just because they're no longer the height of fashion. They don't hurt the knit ties, they are pretty, and I like them. Best of all! They came from my father.

Ron I

Last edited:
Cuff links and tie bars-yes. Tie tacks no for the reasons mentioned above. Lapel pins yes but only when placed thru the the faux button hole on the lapel.

I often troll the various thrift shops around and routinely find stuff for under 5.00 all day long.

Don't wear ties much these days. I always used tie bars when I did. Tie pins are a definite no.

Haven't had occasion to wear cufflinks although I've been tempted to try them on occasion.

strop

Now half as wise
Cuff links and tie bars-yes. Tie tacks no for the reasons mentioned above. Lapel pins yes but only when placed thru the the faux button hole on the lapel.

I often troll the various thrift shops around and routinely find stuff for under 5.00 all day long.

The vast majority of my cufflinks have come from antique stores for $5 or less.

Top Bottom