What's new

How Many Shaves to the bottom of a Shave Stick?

This might, perhaps, become the longest running thread in B&B history, and also the most boring. I propose to count the actual number of "shaves" contained in a shave stick.

Yesterday evening I received two new shave sticks from QED for this study/experiment; those being Lime and Peppermint/Grapefruit.

I shaved with the Peppermint/Grapefruit this morning. So here goes:

Peppermint/Grapefruit: One.
Lime: Zero.

Great idea and I admire your dedication. Will you be using the two sticks exclusively or in your general rotation?

Almost exclusively, at least for the summer. In Texas, that will take me up to mid-October, maybe early November. I will probably treat myself to something different on Sundays to break up the monotony.

At least these are two ounce sticks, and a tub I think is usually five ounces.

Grapefruit: one
Lime: one

This will be like watching the grass grow.

" Are we there yet?"

The quote is one I hear from my kids a lot...usually 1 hour into (and every half hour thereafter) a 2 day road trip...Figured it is appropriate here:lol:

Another way to go about it (in my geekdom I've often thought about doing this) is to:

* Take a weight of the product with a good scale
* Do enough shaves to make a dent in the product
* Take a final weight

You can then get a utilization factor for that produt that you can multiply by the weight of the product to give you a pretty decent idea of how many shave you'll get overall.

Reactions: bjm
You can photograph them every month and after 3 (?) years it's a flip book. :lol: By the way it's time for me for shaving.

then we can run descriptive stats comparing one stick to another; or one company to another

wait, i forgot this isnt work

FOUR

I've used up a Boots, a couple of Arko, and a Euro Palmolive shave stick. Also, I bought some empty shave stick twist up tubes from MamaBear and melted/ poured/ made my own sticks. I found that I used 0.5mm~1.0mm of soap per shave, averaging about 0.75mm per shave or so.

A quick way (relatively speaking, of course) is to measure the shave stick, use for 10 shaves, then remeasure, and divide the difference by 10. That gives you your factor to calculate the approximate number of shaves in a stick. I'll bet it'll be fairly close.

Anyway, have fun with the shave sticks. They're wonderful. :w00t:

-- John Gehman

Another way to go about it (in my geekdom I've often thought about doing this) is to:

* Take a weight of the product with a good scale
* Do enough shaves to make a dent in the product
* Take a final weight

You can then get a utilization factor for that produt that you can multiply by the weight of the product to give you a pretty decent idea of how many shave you'll get overall.

this would definitely be the most time-efficient method. One thing, though, is to weigh an empty stick container so you know the EXACT weight of the soap before starting (I know they list the # of oz of soap, but to be accurate you really have to weight just the soap yourself...or rather soap and container then subtract weight of just container.

Sorry...I drifted off there...fantasies of scales and whatnot

Top Bottom