What's new

How Many Shaves to the bottom of a Shave Stick?

Correct, my chances would hinge on the stick resurfacing and making it to 42 shaves. Suddenly I feel like a Jacobite: long live the king across the water!

Ah, but I think I see the joke now. If the final count is 34, Bob wins. If it's 37, Bob wins. So either count is quite fair. You could hedge against the 1-2 shaves possibility by declaring a tie between Bob and Nathan, but I think the probabilities are with Bob.

And the prize? Does he win the post of trail boss for the next round?

Thinking about the next round again.... There seems to be rough consensus that this thread should take a break from QED sticks and explore other soaps. While I'm not in charge, I was hoping to find a supporting vendor whose sticks haven't been done in this thread, with vetiver as a secondary priority. But it may not be possible to have all that in one stick.

If a supporting vendor isn't essential, I see that Honeybee offers a 70-g stick with shea butter in "Vetyver". The site describes it as a "blend of Lemon, Woods, Vetivert, and Sandalwood", in a twist-up package. I haven't tried any Honeybee products yet, so that interests me.

Or on a more mass-market note, I could throw an Arko or a Palmolive "GUT 2,2" stick into the ring. I have spares of both. I've yet to finish either product, so I don't have more than a guess about longevity. It would be interesting to see how long either one really does last.

Now we're having fun again. I completely agree, let's try something new and different. I think the Honeybee selection is a great idea. As for the count, waiting for confirmation/feedback from our regulars.

I guess the consensus is that the shave stick is MIA. I am starting to concur with that observation. If the stick does show up, I will post here with the news. Either way, I will gladly participate in the next round.

I wonder if Monsieur A. took a permanent vacation to the Cayman Islands or St. Lucia.:crying:

As some of you may know, when Tex started this thread some years ago, I was the winner. It was quite stunning as I don't usually win these kinds of things. Tex offered a wonderful prize, a QED stick of my choosing. I was torn between the Wild Orange and the Vetiver and I shared my dilemma with Tex. Tex's response, "Get both and give the one you prefer less to the runner up guess." So here it is: Bbarton had the winning guess of 34, and is the winner of a Mama Bear shave stick of his choosing. Pozzska had guessed 35. The next guess belonged to Bbarton again, with 38. So even if we counted Blake's phantom shaves of 3 or 4, Bbarton still would have had the winning guess. Bob should pick two fragrances, the one he prefers less he should ship to Pozzska. Congratulations to all on a roller coaster of a ride. Moreover, Bbarton has been nominated to assume trail boss responsibilities and I second the nomination. Congratulations Bob!

As some of you may know, when Tex started this thread some years ago, I was the winner. It was quite stunning as I don't usually win these kinds of things. Tex offered a wonderful prize, a QED stick of my choosing. I was torn between the Wild Orange and the Vetiver and I shared my dilemma with Tex. Tex's response, "Get both and give the one you prefer less to the runner up guess." So here it is: Bbarton had the winning guess of 34, and is the winner of a Mama Bear shave stick of his choosing. Pozzska had guessed 35. The next guess belonged to Bbarton again, with 38. So even if we counted Blake's phantom shaves of 3 or 4, Bbarton still would have had the winning guess. Bob should pick two fragrances, the one he prefers less he should ship to Pozzska. Congratulations to all on a roller coaster of a ride. Moreover, Bbarton has been nominated to assume trail boss responsibilities and I second the nomination. Congratulations Bob!

Thanks for all your work in this DE and I'll have to take a look at the sticks offered up by Mama Bear. Passing along the second stick to Pozzska is a great idea! I'll pm my choices tomorrow and think about how to kick off the next round!!

Looks like despite the mysterious disappearance and *'d shave count, we're getting closure on this round. Looking forward to the next one.

I know some ideas have been floated regarding the choice of our next stick. The thing I'm wondering is if there is a vendor that offers shaving sticks that hasn't been tested in this obviously scientific setting. :biggrin1:

Many, I would think. Here's a list, drawn from the wiki. I've struck through brands that have been done by this group already, and noted questions on others. Probably I've missed some candidates, too.

• Arko
  • Boots
  • DR Harris - done
  • De Vergulde Hand
  • Erasmic
  • Gentlemen's Best - done
  • Honeybee
  • La Toja
  • Lea (and Bea)
  • Mama Bear - done
  • Palmolive (EU, AU)
  • QED - done
  • Saint Charles Shave - too close to GB?
  • Sir Irisch Moos - too close to Tabac?
  • Speick
  • Tabac - done
  • TOBS
  • Valobra
  • Wilkinson Sword

I like the idea of Honeybee, but I'm also interested in Wilks or DVH as those are new to me. TOBS would also be new to me, as would Erasmic. Palmolive (EU) or Arko might be interesting since they are both popular contenders for "best value stick", but likely many of us already own one or both.

Many, I would think. Here's a list, drawn from the wiki. I've struck through brands that have been done by this group already, and noted questions on others. Probably I've missed some candidates, too.

• Arko
  • Boots
  • DR Harris - done
  • De Vergulde Hand
  • Erasmic
  • Gentlemen's Best - done
  • Honeybee
  • La Toja
  • Lea (and Bea)
  • Mama Bear - done
  • Palmolive (EU, AU)
  • QED - done
  • Saint Charles Shave - too close to GB?
  • Sir Irisch Moos - too close to Tabac?
  • Speick
  • Tabac - done
  • TOBS
  • Valobra
  • Wilkinson Sword

I like the idea of Honeybee, but I'm also interested in Wilks or DVH as those are new to me. TOBS would also be new to me, as would Erasmic. Palmolive (EU) or Arko might be interesting since they are both popular contenders for "best value stick", but likely many of us already own one or both.

I'm going to contact the HoneyBee people and see if we can get a stick or two from them. They have a bunch of scents to choose from and so maybe it would be worthwhile to have different people check out the list and voice their requests.

Personally, I like the sound of:

* Cedarwood Amber - This warm earthy fragrance contains top notes of bergamot, lavender and coriander, with bottom notes of cedarwood, sandalwood, amber and musk
* Cherry Pipe Tobacco -The rich strong aroma of cherrywood, raspberry, vanilla and tobacco bring recreate your favorite pipe on a cool evening.
* Fireside - An intoxicating blend of cedarwood, sandalwood, leather, rich amber and cashmere musk.
* Ye Olde Barbershop - Heart notes of Amber and Rum with a hint of Musk and Bay.

I'm going to contact the HoneyBee people and see if we can get a stick or two from them. They have a bunch of scents to choose from and so maybe it would be worthwhile to have different people check out the list and voice their requests.

Personally, I like the sound of:

* Cedarwood Amber - This warm earthy fragrance contains top notes of bergamot, lavender and coriander, with bottom notes of cedarwood, sandalwood, amber and musk
* Cherry Pipe Tobacco -The rich strong aroma of cherrywood, raspberry, vanilla and tobacco bring recreate your favorite pipe on a cool evening.
* Fireside - An intoxicating blend of cedarwood, sandalwood, leather, rich amber and cashmere musk.
* Ye Olde Barbershop - Heart notes of Amber and Rum with a hint of Musk and Bay.

All of those sound good, especially Cherry Pipe Tobacco with winter coming on. Sorry I have not responded sooner. I was on a hunting trip in South Dakota. I thought I saw Monsiuer trailing a hunting dog in the distance, but I cannot be sure. He is a man of mystery. I agree with not going back to a QED -- good soaps, but I have tried them. Some of the fun here is trying something entirely new.

Doesn't it feel like we have been re-energized now that the Monsuier saga is over?

One final thought -- one of benefits of being the trail boss is having the final decision on soap choice. Congratulations Bob. Darjeeling has been excellent (and thank you very much), and you will be too Bob.

Too bad Monsiuer had to have an asterisk, but somehow that does seem fitting.

Top Bottom