What's new

How Many Shaves to the bottom of a Shave Stick?

I keep trying not to look at the count but you keep posting it, I have to quickly scroll past :tongue_sm

Ok, shave 17 today, and I wont have time for another tomorrow, not sure if I would want to. Lil' Tabacy is little more than a stub now, and he hurts :mad: This is the point where I'm going to call it quits on him as a stick, actually I probably would have called it quits as a stick a shave ago but I wanted to see if I could go further, in fact I could probably get at least one more shave, maybe two... with pain though

proxy.php

In this picture you can see a dark strip... I'm not sure what it is, but I dont think it's soap... maybe some adhesive to help it stick to the base

proxy.php

So, I leave it up to you guys, Im done with Tabacy, he hurts now and is no longer a shave stick to me. If you want, Ill quickly send him off to Josh before I take off tomorrow, but answer quick, no reply by tomorrow morning and I can Tabacy officially dead

Dave, I think it's safe to say that if he hurts, then he's dead. I don't think anyone would normally use a shave stick past that point.

I tend to agree, but I think that maybe texascattlerancher should be the one to call it. If it goes back to him, and he determines that he wouldn't shave with it, I say he is dead:frown:

I tend to agree, but I think that maybe texascattlerancher should be the one to call it. If it goes back to him, and he determines that he wouldn't shave with it, I say he is dead:frown:

Thats fine by me, but Im leaving this afternoon and will be gone for a week, so..... who knows lol

Without looking at any of the numbers, I'd say call it done. Looks like it's gone a few shaves past done, actually! But I agree, James should make the call. What a momentous occasion!

I keep trying not to look at the count but you keep posting it, I have to quickly scroll past :tongue_sm

Ok, shave 17 today, and I wont have time for another tomorrow, not sure if I would want to. Lil' Tabacy is little more than a stub now, and he hurts :mad: This is the point where I'm going to call it quits on him as a stick, actually I probably would have called it quits as a stick a shave ago but I wanted to see if I could go further, in fact I could probably get at least one more shave, maybe two... with pain though

proxy.php

In this picture you can see a dark strip... I'm not sure what it is, but I dont think it's soap... maybe some adhesive to help it stick to the base

proxy.php

So, I leave it up to you guys, Im done with Tabacy, he hurts now and is no longer a shave stick to me. If you want, Ill quickly send him off to Josh before I take off tomorrow, but answer quick, no reply by tomorrow morning and I can Tabacy officially dead

Dave, I think it's safe to say that if he hurts, then he's dead. I don't think anyone would normally use a shave stick past that point.

Without looking at any of the numbers, I'd say call it done. Looks like it's gone a few shaves past done, actually! But I agree, James should make the call. What a momentous occasion!

"As long as practicable" was the definition I applied. I don't think it is practicable to be using Lil Tabacy any more. THIS SHAVE STICK CONTEST IS OVER!!!! Let's see what the total count is here.

With Bacchus putting 17 shaves on the stick, it brings us to a total of 146. It is of note that Bacchus had pick #147. He could very easily have scraped Lil Tabac over his mug for one more attempt so that he could win, but he did not. Very honorable of Bacchus not to do that in my opinion.

I can't believe it, but the man running the next shave stick contest, Richmondesi, has won the Lil Tabacy shave stick pass contest. Congratulations to Rich!! Please send me your address again and I will send you your prize; a brand spankin new Tabac shave stick. You might want to buy Bacchus a beer for not using Tabac one more time so that he could win.

Lil Tabac cost 9.5 Euro on the Shavemac website. Using a conversion factor of 1.4204 dollars to the Euro, Lil Tabac cost $13.53 in US dollars. I don't remember what shipping was, but let's say $5.00 in shipping to the US from Germany. That brings us to a total of $18.53 in American dollars. Divide by 146, the total number of shaves, and you get a figure of .1269. Lil Tabac costs about 13 cents per shave, perhaps less if my shipping estimate is high. Tabac, as good and high a quality product as it is, is still very, very economical to use.

Someone else may wish to put a finer pencil point to my figures. However, as those of you who have followed the shave stick passes from the beginning will recall, I first completed two QED glycerin sticks for a total of about 71 or 3 shaves. I can't remember exactly. The QED sticks I previously used in the shave stick contest are currently selling for $13.50 each. $27.00 for the two of them, and let's say $29.00 with shipping. 29 cost divided by 72 shaves yields about 40 cents per shave with a QED glycerin stick.

I think with our contests we have discovered that triple milled soaps, such as Tabac, can be very economical to use. In fact, triple milled soaps may be the most economical of any shaving product when compared to creams or glycerin soaps.

Whew, the epic Tabacy pass is finally over. It has been fun guys. Thank you all. [Tex passing the torch to Rich] The torch is passed Rich. The Arlington stick is now a go. I will be very interested to see how Arlington compares in price to use as compared to Tabac.

Send it back to Tex. Its time for him to make the call. So long Tabacy, it was good knowin ya. Time for you to bite the dust buddy.

Thank you but no. I like the idea of the contest being called by someone other than myself. For instance, if Lil Tabac came back to me, I am sure I could scrape 3 more shaves out of it and reach a total of 150! My pick I might add. :biggrin: No, Tabacy was used as long as "practicable", and I believe the photo bears that out. We are done with Lil Tabac. Rest in peace Lil Tabacy.

Darjeeling won the first contest.
Rich won the second contest.
I want to win the Arlington contest!! When do we get to start making picks? I think I should get first pick just because! :biggrin:

James/Tex gets first pick without question. Oh, and the progress of the Arlington Race has to stay in this thread.

I believe that was understood when I passed the torch to Rich. We need to keep our shave stick thread alive for as long as we are interested in doing shave stick passes.

On the first pick, I will certainly make it, with all due ceremony, if Rich allows me.

Just a little something to think about...

An Arlington stick weighs less than half of what a stick of Tabac weighs ...

How many ounces are in the Arlington stick that we will be using? There were 3.5 ounces in Tabac, I believe. I just googled a DR Harris Arlington stick. It, too, contained 3.5 ounces. Are we using a 3.5 ounce Arlington stick or something smaller? Inquiring minds want to know.......

Hear Ye, Hear Ye!

The Arlington Stick Pass is officially here! For his contribution on the previous passes, James will get the first and third pick and fifth pick. The second pick will go to Stephen (Whitebar) for providing the Arlington Stick and the fourth pick will go to the winner of the...

Name that stick Contest. After the naming, he will be properly adorned in attire befitting his name. I'll leave this contest open until Sunday 5 pm Central. Stephen is currently in possession of the new guy and may begin the count. After a name has been given and James has made the 5th overall pick, everyone involved in the pass will get a shot at one pick on a first come first served basis INCLUDING Stephen and the winner of the contest. Sorry James, you have to wait on someone else because 4 of the first 6 picks (not that you would, but the potential is there) would be a little much :biggrin:

The Arlington Stick will be making a trip to New Orleans, and I am sure this will be a great start to a fun pass.

The winning pick will get either an Irisch Moos stick or a Mama Bear's soap of their choice. Their pick.

Let the games begin:w00t: I'll modify the order of the pass to try to accommodate going through customs as few times as possible. This means Arlington will be going to Canada early on in the pass because they were late in getting to participate with Tabacy. Let's have some fun!

Well, since I am honored with so many picks right out of the gate, I will get this contest started without knowing the total weight of the Arlington stick.

I believe it was represented that Arlington weighed half as much as Tabac, which is why we are only doing 5 or so shaves each before passing Arlington on. Given that, I will take 77 as the first pick of the now official Arlington Shave Stick Pass Contest.

Why did I pick 77? Well, Arlington, or whatever the contest winner names him, is supposed to weigh only half as much as Tabac. Rich won the Tabac contest with 146. Half of 146 is 73. Why not pick 73? Well, Tabac had this odd retaining ring in the bottom that helped hold the soap. This meant that some product was still left over after the useful life of Lil Tabac was over. I am betting that Arlington does not have as much product left over after his useful life is over. So, I picked something slightly higher than 73. 77 has two lucky 7s in it. 77 it is.

Thanks, Rich, for taking over. It will be nice to check in here as a contestant rather than the contest director. If you will allow me, I will give pick #3 to Bacchus for being so honorable in the previous contest. He could have used the stick one more time to make himself the winner. I like the fact that he did not and called the contest. Good for you Bacchus. Please let us know if Bacchus can have pick #3. I will be selfish and retain my #5 pick. :biggrin:

I'd rather let you keep pick #3 and give Bacchus number 5. Then, he will be able to participate in the free for all first come first serve round. That'll be an additional reward for him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom