What's new

Thinking of buying this Strop, need some expertise

Hey guys, I'm trying to assemble my first straight razor and accessories. To me, it looks pretty weathered, especially the canvas portion. Can some of you more experienced members please give me some insight on why this would be a good or bad purchase? It is 24" long and 2.5" wide. Thanks!
$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I wouldn't. However my first strop was an antique store gem much like this and I was lucky I didn't mar the edges of my straights using it. Not to say someone with greater talent than me could restore that relic. I purchased a Tony Miller 3" Latigo and later a Kanayama #3. Either of these properly utilized could be your forever strop. I recommend the Kanayama over any other strop out there. Others will weigh in but I say buy QUALITY....ONCE. Cheers...Mike

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
It looks pretty worn honestly. I'd either keep looking for a vintage in better shape or pull the trigger on a kanayama 3.
For what it's worth, I've bought 5 vintage strops and only one turned out to be really nice.

Since this is to be your first strop I would pass that one by and pick up an inexpensive latigo strop. Latigo is the perfect stropping material for a first strop. When you nick it (and you will) you can sand it out easily and it keeps on working. It requires pretty much zero maintenance. Wears like iron! Then once stropping is second nature you can pick up something really nice for your shaving den.

Going to skip this vintage one and probably the Kanayama for now. After looking at the prices of them, I would feel terrible for ruining one while learning my technique. Definitely will keep that brand in mind a little bit down the road though. Thank you guys.

Brian, Latigo you say? Any specific dimensions or material you'd recommend?

Going to skip this vintage one and probably the Kanayama for now. After looking at the prices of them, I would feel terrible for ruining one while learning my technique. Definitely will keep that brand in mind a little bit down the road though. Thank you guys.

Brian, Latigo you say? Any specific dimensions or material you'd recommend?

Lots of nice latigo strops out there.

http://www.classicshaving.com/hardware/razor-strops-hones.html
http://www.straightrazordesigns.com...ath=36&zenid=edd095fa369b60adbcc23db66256b3e9
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Razor-Strops-Hones_c_109.html?Attribs=87&

I am particularly fond of the classic shaving "american mountain" strops. I still have one and gave a couple as gifts. I prefer 3 inch wide strops, but that is just personal preference. Handles or D rings etc is all about what you like and doesn't change the performance of the strop. Get the cotton (they call it linen) second component and not the poly. I am a bit of a strop snob and it irritates me when they call the second component linen when linen is actually a very specific cloth made from flax. I nicked mine several times as a new straight shaver and sanded the nicks out and you can't even see them. Then as I became more comfortable I added different strops as money and interest allowed. They all feel different but there are only really two that I would say offer any performance improvement over latigo. Genuine Horween cordovan, and Kanayama cordovan are in my opinion superior to all other stropping leathers, but the difference is small and the price difference is quite large! Don't lay your money down for those until you are very comfortable stropping and haven't nicked anything in a long time.

Get a cheap, effective Fromm strop from Amazon for your first. I feel it is a good full size economy strop but, the linen is sub-par. It is ok for use as a pasted strop for periodic touch up but a piece of natural woven fiber from the other forums shop will help you. I struggled for years trying to maintain an edge using the factory linen and upon upgrading my stone touchups have decreased substantially in frequency. The leather is good and may require a quaterly lathering with some glycerine shave cream and allowed to dry.

Top Bottom