What's new

What is the best way to load a cream?

Hi guys. I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I am still relatively new. I recently tried my first soap, and have learned to load it using the load/hydrate method described in the wiki. I'm currently getting very good results, much better than I got with cream. My lathers are more stable, protective, and longer lasting. Could be the soap, but I don't think that's the case necessarily.

Here's what I think the difference is. With the soap, which is firmer, I can swirl 30-60 seconds on the puck, plus pumping up and down to get the proto-lather all the way up to the base of the brush. My brush is absolutely saturated with product when I start, and since I have a lot of product, it's a lot easier to land in the hydration sweet spot (if you have only a tiny amount of product, it's way to easy to ruin it by oversaturating with water).

I am unable to achieve this same effect when loading a cream. If I swirl in the tub, at best there's just a bit on the tips. My cream (TOBS) is soft, so I can't pump up and down. I can't find a good way to get a lot of cream distributed throughout the brush, which makes it much harder to get a great lather.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to thoroughly load a brush with a lot of cream throughout, the same way I can with a soap?

I use a small plastic ice cream sample spoon as my cream measure.

Drop it in the bowl/scuttle

I dip my brush in water, giving it two downward motions to remove all water except what adheres to the hairs.

Then to the bowl to build a "paste"

I add water as needed until the lather is perfect.

I've always bowl lathered creams this way.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I just finished shaving with Castle Forbes cream. The best method I've found is to just wipe my brush through the cream so there's some coating the outside, add a dribble of hot water to my Fine lather bowl, and whisk away. OTOH, I'm no expert and I spend more time using soap than cream.

You don't need soap or cream to go too far past the tips of the brush when loading, nor do you need to worry about making that happen when you lather: the brush will fill up on its own, no problem. When loading a soap, think in terms of building up a paste on the front of the brush (how much depends on your technique). With a cream, you can swirl the tips in a tub of cream (you'll need less than with a soap!), or scoop (or squeeze from a tube) a relatively small amount (almond-sized is the usual recommendation) right onto your brush and then start lathering from there. Again, lather will fill up your brush on its own.

Speaking of, it's generally bad for the brush to mash it down too much. Focus on light pressure with the brush, both for loading and lathering.

I have tried most methods recommended on this forum. For me, face lathering works best. So, I use Luc's method. Wet my face, get a bit of cream on a finger tip, rub/spread the cream all over my face. Then use a damp brush to face leather. Add water to the brush as needed. I re-apply a touch of cream for each pass.

Last edited:
Wet brush, two downward thrusts, one full squirt of KMF cream (in the bowl), a splash of water from the faucet (about 1 to 2 tbsp) and whisk away. If it doesn't start lathering in about 10 seconds, I add a little more water (a couple drops) and whisk for another 10 seconds. I'll usually stop adding water if I see any bubbles forming, because lather is usually soon to follow (or a soupy mess if you keep adding water).

Put an almond-sized dollop of cream in your bowl. Add 5-6 drops of water. Swirl with your wet brush.

Work up some nice lather and finish on your face.

Enjoy.

Soak the brush. Give it three good shakes to remove free water. I grab the bristles of the brush about a 1/2 inch from the tip and scoop a dollop of cream with the bristle tips.
I bowl lather in my scuttle, but it works face lathering as well. The method keeps from depositing water into the cream, and also avoids the need to clean off your finger (using the finger dip method). It is also easy to control how much cream you are taking onto the brush.

If you are loading right in the tub, you either need to move your brush to a bowl/mug or directly onto your face to start building your lather. Or, you can just scoop out some cream and place it in your lather bowl, or directly on your brush to face lather.

I dip my brush in water, giving it two downward motions to remove all water except what adheres to the hairs.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
That looks cool. I'll have to try something like that to see how it works. I also am a bowl latherer.

So it appears you are one of the chosen ones?

I have tried most methods recommended on this forum. For me, face lathering works best. So, I use Luc's method. Wet my face, get a bit of cream on a finger tip, rub/spread the cream all over my face. Then use a damp brush to face leather. Add water to the brush as needed. I re-apply a touch of cream for each pass.

I squeeze out a snurdle and rub it on my cheeks or dip out a snurdle and rub in on my cheeks, then I face lather.

^^^^^ These two work for me!!

Same here.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
+1

I just take a finger, dip it into the cream(or squirt some on my finger) and apply dabs of it to my face, then use a wet brush to face lather. I end up using very little and get enough for 4 passes if needed(most I ever do is 3).

Top Bottom