What's new

ATT question

Newbie question time!

ATT offers base plates in three different blade gaps, resulting in three levels of aggressiveness. Each blade gap is available as solid bar and open comb. What affect does does bar versus open comb have on a razor that is otherwise identical?

Thanks!

I have the ATT, H1 and R1 plates (bar) and the M2 (OC).

I find that the OC makes the razor slightly more aggressive, IMO. It also enables me to go back over the same area again without re-lathering, as the OC leaves lather in its wake. But it can also be more irritating for its rake affect.

Thanks for the reply. My understanding had been that the open comb resulted in a slightly increase aggressiveness. I'm hoping there'll be someone who has the bar and comb in the same blade gap. Though almost any answer is going to be some form of IMHO and YMMV.

Safety bars tends plow away the lather leaving less protection.

Some feel there isn't a different between the ATT SB and OC of the same baseplate, others feel the OC of the same baseplate is more aggressive.

ATT has a 30 day return policy, so you can buy them and try them all and send back the ones you don't like for a refund.

ATT has a 30 day return policy, so you can buy them and try them all and send back the ones you don't like for a refund.

I probably made a mistake when I titled this an ATT question. It's prompted by ATT's products, but really more of a general info question.

As for buying and then returning. I've still got a razor that I haven't tried yet. Buying more is kinda of out of the question right now.

I've had all three different blade gaps of the ATT razors... M1/M2, R1/R2 and H1/H2 closed and open comb. The open comb on each is just a bit more aggressive than the solid bar. Other razor makes in solid/open comb I have not tried so others can comment on that.

Last edited:
I find that the longer the hair the more an open comb tends to cut it. With one or two day stubble a solid bar razor does a great job. With a weeks with of growth that much hair can "choke" or clog the bar preventing smooth shaving. Disassemble and clean. Most open comb razors channel the stubble better and lessen its the chance of a clog. The also some to rinse easier. If your scraping yourself with the teeth of the comb your doing it wrong.

I have a Muhle R89 and R41 (I realize that it's not an apples to apples comparison). While the R41 does shave better, I don't find it to be any less inclined to clog or any easier to rinse free of lather. But the open comb design on the R41 is not the same as the ATT razors or many other open comb razors of which I have seen pictures.

The ATT H1/H2 have a large blade gap and are very easily rinsed. I've never had one clog with soap or hair. My 2013 R41 has a smaller blade gap, so I can see that it could clog more easily even though an open comb.

Judging from the pictures, the comb on the R41 isn't as deep. I assume that's why it has the slot further in.

The ATT H1/H2 have a large blade gap and are very easily rinsed. I've never had one clog with soap or hair. My 2013 R41 has a smaller blade gap, so I can see that it could clog more easily even though an open comb.
+1, love my H2 OC

Judging from the pictures, the comb on the R41 isn't as deep. I assume that's why it has the slot further in.

I view the Muhle R41 design as more of a "safety bar with scallops" design, than an open comb. Both the R41 and the Ikon Shavecraft Tech (a pure safety bar) are among the most aggressive razors, in my experience. Perhaps there are more aggressive open combs than safety bars, but I don't think the style has a lot of bearing on aggressiveness. It's more about blade angle, gap and exposure.

P.S. I've used all four of the ATT open comb plates, and none are as aggressive as the safety bar Ikon Tech. The R41 and H2 are similar. Haven't tried the ATT safety bar plates.

Last edited:
I've had two ATT base plates, initially the R2 in stainless (open comb) and the M1 in bronze (safety bar). In my experience, not only was the R2 more aggressive, but it didn't glide across the face like the bar does. This actually made it easier for me to find the angle with the open comb because the safety bar glides regardless of whether or not the blade is actually hitting your skin. It's really up to a matter of personal preference. The metals of each razor probably make a difference too. I've found after much trial and error that I prefer a mild safety bar because I have a slow-growing and sparse beard.

I've had two ATT base plates, initially the R2 in stainless (open comb) and the M1 in bronze (safety bar). In my experience, not only was the R2 more aggressive, but it didn't glide across the face like the bar does. This actually made it easier for me to find the angle with the open comb because the safety bar glides regardless of whether or not the blade is actually hitting your skin. It's really up to a matter of personal preference. The metals of each razor probably make a difference too. I've found after much trial and error that I prefer a mild safety bar because I have a slow-growing and sparse beard.

For me the way to tell if your angle is "on" is to listen to the blade. You can really hear that blade sing when it's at maximum contact. I turn off the exhaust fan, running water, etc so I can listen to the blade.

I have the 6 ATT non-slant base plates: M1, M2, R1, R2, H1, and H2.

I am still a newbie to DE shaving and am slowly (emphasis on "slowly") working my way up the aggressiveness scale. I have not yet had much experience with the two H-level plates.

FWIW, with a million YMMVs and IMHOs, I think all 4 of the M and R plates are excellent, but I definitely prefer the open comb M2 and R2 to, respectively, the M1 and R1.

I have ATT H1 (straight-bar) and H2 (open-comb). H2 is slightly more agressive, H1 is slightly smoother. Both are very effective razors, and a pleasure to use.

Top Bottom