What's new

Cleaning kit

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yeah I'm not sure what I was thinking with measurements to cut up a shirt :lol:
If it don't fit, cut smaller!

Wow some great tips here. Not knowing anything about the various lubricants, solvents, cleaners and other chemicals on the shelf, those descriptions and recommendation are very helpful.

Forgive a completely noobish question -- a few posts up talking about copper and lead buildup in the barrel: What do I look for? My pistol (a 1994 vintage Taurus PT92AF -- a Beretta 92 clone) has an unknown number of rounds through it. It was not cleaned by the gunshop when I bought it -- they are known to be very reputable so I suspect that not giving it a thorough cleaning is more so they don't look to be misrepresenting the condition.
After I cleaned it, the barrel looks shiny (from the oil) and smooth and the rifling is well-defined. Is that all that I'm looking for?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
After I cleaned it, the barrel looks shiny (from the oil) and smooth and the rifling is well-defined. Is that all that I'm looking for?

Yup.

If you're shooting FMJ you shouldn't have too much to worry about. Lead fouling is from shooting, well, lead bullets. Copper fouling is mostly a problem in high speed rifles.

If after you clean the barrel it looks new...smooth and shiny...you're good. Here's a couple of pics. of some lead fouling.

proxy.php

proxy.php

If you have leading, a piece of copper Chore Boy scrubber wrapped around an old bore brush will scrub it right out....You can find Chore Boy in the dish soap section.

One more suggestion for bolt action rifles: use a bore guide. It will guide the cleaning rod down the barrel and will keep bore cleaner out of the rifle action. Over time, a lot of solvent dripping into the action can goop it up, and can soften wood stocks.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Do you have measurements for cutting up your own shirts to use for patches?

I tried to cut up a shirt but the patches were to large for 9mm

When my wife buys me new t-shirts, she will always cut up and bag the old ones for my gun cleaning. She uses a shotgun patch as a blue print and cuts them all to this size. That way, I can fold one in half, cut it, and it is the perfect size for .40 and .308 fold that in half, cut it, and it fits 9mm, .380, .357 and .38. fold that in half, and it's perfect size for .223, .22 and .32.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
When my wife buys me new t-shirts, she will always cut up and bag the old ones for my gun cleaning. She uses a shotgun patch as a blue print and cuts them all to this size. That way, I can fold one in half, cut it, and it is the perfect size for .40 and .308 fold that in half, cut it, and it fits 9mm, .380, .357 and .38. fold that in half, and it's perfect size for .223, .22 and .32.

Very nice! Thanks!

Top Bottom