What's new

White Whiskey

What you purchased is "white dog", which is basically unaged whiskey. A lot of the small boutique distillers are selling this, with catchy "moonshine" inspired names, because it is a cash flow product: distill it, bottle it and sell it. Most of these outfits aren't heavily capitalized, so they can't survive four years of outgo and no revenue waiting for real whiskey to mature. Whiskey is essentially a lower distillation proof grain spirit that is then aged in oak barrels (of varying characteristics, depending on the whiskey), but this aging takes time, as in several years. The white dog, or unaged spirit, doesn't have much character when it goes into the barrel; the lovely flavors of whiskey, especially bourbon, come mainly from the extended barrel contact. There have been many attempts to devise a method of speeding up the process of imparting the brown flavors of the barrel into whiskey, but no one has yet come up with a suitable substitute for extended time in a charred oak barrel.

About the best that can be said for your bottle of white dog is that it is probably OK for mixing in some drinks and likely does have a bit more flavor than most vodka, but that might not be necessarily be all pleasant flavor. Oh, and it does have alcohol, so there is that.
Great explanation. Thanks!

It just comes off as a marketing gimmick I think. No one here in Tennessee really takes this stuff too seriously..we know good whiskey and this isn't a great example of it. Mostly produced for tourists. But..again like anything else, there will be those who really take a "shine" (now is that a bad pun??) to it.
Great pun and highly appropriate!!:laugh:

What you purchased is "white dog", which is basically unaged whiskey. A lot of the small boutique distillers are selling this, with catchy "moonshine" inspired names, because it is a cash flow product: distill it, bottle it and sell it. Most of these outfits aren't heavily capitalized, so they can't survive four years of outgo and no revenue waiting for real whiskey to mature. Whiskey is essentially a lower distillation proof grain spirit that is then aged in oak barrels (of varying characteristics, depending on the whiskey), but this aging takes time, as in several years. The white dog, or unaged spirit, doesn't have much character when it goes into the barrel; the lovely flavors of whiskey, especially bourbon, come mainly from the extended barrel contact. There have been many attempts to devise a method of speeding up the process of imparting the brown flavors of the barrel into whiskey, but no one has yet come up with a suitable substitute for extended time in a charred oak barrel.

About the best that can be said for your bottle of white dog is that it is probably OK for mixing in some drinks and likely does have a bit more flavor than most vodka, but that might not be necessarily be all pleasant flavor. Oh, and it does have alcohol, so there is that.

Well said. This mostly comes down to an economic issue. Aging takes time and time is money.

I'd make one of the many "apple pie" type recipes with it and call it good.

Or maybe try steeping something in it? Cherries?

The best 'shine I ever had was peach. Get a mason jar, drop a peach inside, pour your Minn 13 over it, and seal it. I've heard apple pie is also good, but never had it. I also heard of someone making a "moonshine mule", so there's that.

Most distillers have recipes for various cocktails available. You could check this distillers website. Or simply look at other distillers who do offer recipes for their unaged spirits. No matter what you do, it'll probably be better than what you have now. :)

you could probably buy some oak chips from a homebrewing store, give them a good toast/char under the broiler and age it yourself. A handful of chips would probably give it some nice color in a week or so. There is much more surface area on the chips vs a barrel, so be careful.

If you want to age it do a quick search for nuclear aging. It's using a microwave and oak chips to age it quickly. White whiskey can be good, but it won't be a 2 year bourbon without some oak.

I sampled some un-aged corn whiskey last time I was at the George Dickel distillery. Wasn't my cup o' tea but several people there loved it. The distillers and guides said most people used it as a mixer in place of vodka or other whiskey (they do taste a little like whiskey). They can often be had for cheaper since there isn't a time commitment.

When I was in Calgary I met a "whiskey drinker" whose 'favorite whiskey' was one of these white unaged things.

I gave him a taste of Ardbeg 10 - his expression was priceless.

I quite fancy trying white whiskey just to see what it's like before it's aged, but it would be more out of curiosity than anything else. I'm not a vodka fan so I don't think it's something I'd drink regularly.

When I was in Calgary I met a "whiskey drinker" whose 'favorite whiskey' was one of these white unaged things.

I gave him a taste of Ardbeg 10 - his expression was priceless.

I bet it was! Did he love it or hate it?

Late to the party but +1 on the oak spirals. For 750 mls, use about 1/3 of a stick. I assume that's a glass bottle, but if not, get it out of the plastic. You might want to add a vanilla bean to. Let it sit in a cupboard for about 6 weeks and see what you've got. It takes that long to extract what it's going to from the oak.

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice. I live a few blocks from a brew store, so I'll pick up some oak spirals and give it a go.

Top Bottom