What's new

How/Where to began drinking whiskey

Jim Beam would be the way to go for a starter bourbon, though Bulleit makes a good one too. I also might recommend Bushmill's for Irish, and McClelland Highland for a single malt.

Try as I may I just don't appreciate drinking room temperature whiskey neat. My routine for bourbon and Irish or Canadian pours is a couple ice cubes in a Glencairn or rocks glass with my drink of the day. I like the chill and as the ice melts the added water seems to open up the flavor.

I enjoy Evan Williams black as my value/everyday bourbon. Some recommendations for one looking for affordable, easy on the mouth, smooth bourbons would be Buffalo Trace and Four Roses "Yellow Label". For a super smooth Irish whiskey I highly recommend my favorite... Tullamore DEW.

Last edited:
For neat whiskey I would suggest something on the lighter side. Makers 46, Basil Hayden's, Michter's Small Batch, Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel, Jim Beam Single Barrel, Blantons, George Dickel 8 yr, Woodford Reserve. Something with more vanilla, caramel and spice.

I honestly never drink anything neat and I drink whiskey as my primary beverage at home and out at bars. I usually just throw a big cube or ice ball in there. Tivolo makes some great ice molds and trays for that exact purpose.

Tovolo ... and I just ordered one :) Can't wait to get it. Think it arrives today

I recently started doing the same thing. I decided to not drink so much beer and instead sip on spirits. Save some calories and treat drinking more like a fine meal instead of an all-you-can-eat buffet.

As a rookie, I don't like it at room temperature. I like one cube of ice. For stronger spirits I also do a splash of water. I drink about half as much (or less) this way, which is probably a good thing.

I picked up a Glencairn glass from World Market, which has a narrow opening. Our sense of taste is strongly related to smell, so the glass focuses the whiskey scent into the nose and intensifies the flavors. It sounds weird but it works really well.

I don't know much about different whiskeys yet. I picked up bottles of Glenmorangie 10 (scotch), Bulleit Bourbon, and some 7 year aged rum. I'm trying to pick out the differences. The bourbon is a bit more sour and smoky, the scotch has more of a bite and seems buttery almost, and the rum is really sweet like molasses (kind of drab tasting too). I really liked Rock and Rye which had some sweet orange flavor without being obviously flavored. Most of the flavored spirits (like Red Stag or Crown Apple) I didn't like nearly as much as the subtle flavors.

Jameson
- An Irish whiskey - from what I recall this is pretty bottom-shelf, but maybe not a bad starting point - irish whiskey is generally much lighter in taste than scotch.

Evan Williams
- Not familiar, won't comment.

Southern Comfort
- This isn't a whiskey. Heck, it's not even a spirit - it's a liqueur.

and Bulleit Rye.
- Personally I feel that rye and whiskey are two different drinks (YMMV). I thought Bulleit was pretty low-brow stuff.

So there are two issues - first, it seems like most of the things you tried either aren't typical whiskey or aren't worthy of being drunk neat. Second - you might just not like whiskey very much.

Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are two single malt scotches which are generally considered quite entry-level for drinking neat. They are also commonly available in a smaller sized bottle, making it cheaper to try them out.

Putting a small amount of water in whiskey is not uncommon, and in some cases even helps bring out the flavours of a fine whiskey/scotch.

Drinking it 'on the rocks' is generally frowned upon as this tends to dull the flavour. While this is wasteful with a higher-end beverage, it does help to make rough (read as 'cheap') whiskeys more tolerable. Alternately, it can be seen as a way to ease yourself into the taste.

Also be aware that some of the recommendations in this thread are for bourbon, which (like rye) is technically 'whiskey', but not what most of the world thinks of when the word 'whiskey' is said.

Rye, as the name suggests, is made primarily from Rye.
Bourbon is made primarily from corn.
Scotch (and many products simply labelled 'whiskey') is usually made from barley but sometimes wheat, or a combination of the two.

All of the above are 'whiskey' - they are made using the same process but with a different main ingredient. Historically there are also differences in the type of filtration and length of aging which makes them all quite distinct in flavour. There are also all sorts of legal requirements in order to call your product one thing or the other, none of which really matters to you at this point.

What does matter is that Rye, Bourbon, and Whiskey are families of drinks with very distinct flavours - you might find that you like one and dislike others.

Who says you have to drink your whiskey neat? Drink it how you like it. I drink mine neat 90% of the time but really after 5 or 6 sips it can deaden your taste buds. Add 3 or 4 drops of water and taste...too strong? Add more [emoji41]

Jameson
- An Irish whiskey - from what I recall this is pretty bottom-shelf, but maybe not a bad starting point - irish whiskey is generally much lighter in taste than scotch.

Evan Williams
- Not familiar, won't comment.

Southern Comfort
- This isn't a whiskey. Heck, it's not even a spirit - it's a liqueur.

and Bulleit Rye.
- Personally I feel that rye and whiskey are two different drinks (YMMV). I thought Bulleit was pretty low-brow stuff.

So there are two issues - first, it seems like most of the things you tried either aren't typical whiskey or aren't worthy of being drunk neat. Second - you might just not like whiskey very much.

Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are two single malt scotches which are generally considered quite entry-level for drinking neat. They are also commonly available in a smaller sized bottle, making it cheaper to try them out.

Putting a small amount of water in whiskey is not uncommon, and in some cases even helps bring out the flavours of a fine whiskey/scotch.

Drinking it 'on the rocks' is generally frowned upon as this tends to dull the flavour. While this is wasteful with a higher-end beverage, it does help to make rough (read as 'cheap') whiskeys more tolerable. Alternately, it can be seen as a way to ease yourself into the taste.

Also be aware that some of the recommendations in this thread are for bourbon, which (like rye) is technically 'whiskey', but not what most of the world thinks of when the word 'whiskey' is said.

Rye, as the name suggests, is made primarily from Rye.
Bourbon is made primarily from corn.
Scotch (and many products simply labelled 'whiskey') is usually made from barley but sometimes wheat, or a combination of the two.

All of the above are 'whiskey' - they are made using the same process but with a different main ingredient. Historically there are also differences in the type of filtration and length of aging which makes them all quite distinct in flavour. There are also all sorts of legal requirements in order to call your product one thing or the other, none of which really matters to you at this point.

What does matter is that Rye, Bourbon, and Whiskey are families of drinks with very distinct flavours - you might find that you like one and dislike others.

Personal choice doesn't change the face that Rye and Bourbon are very popular types of American Whiskey. All 3 versions of Bulleit are actually award winning spirits and are very far from low brow and taste much better than their more expensive counterparts in most cases. There's a reason that American whiskey was the top selling type of whiskey in the world in 2015. It's delicious.

Personal choice doesn't change the face that Rye and Bourbon are very popular types of American Whiskey. All 3 versions of Bulleit are actually award winning spirits and are very far from low brow and taste much better than their more expensive counterparts in most cases. There's a reason that American whiskey was the top selling type of whiskey in the world in 2015. It's delicious.

+1

My suggestions are to try some different brands. Blanton was suggested earlier and has a great flavor. Breckenridge is another good one. Basil Hayden is the smoothest I have in an affordable whiskey. I have had some good scorched that were smoother but at an extreme cost IMO. Most often I go for the Jim Beam Black Label or most recently they released one called Jim Beam Bonded and it's pretty nice. Jack Daniels is decent but has a bite and I don't suggest that for starter. Know Creek is pretty good. Myers Mark has great flavor but also has a bite. At the end of the day, you just may not like whiskey. I will also suggest a little water for it. I really mean just a little. The most I will use is about a tablespoon. I have also kept some bourbons in the freezer and added nothing. It smooths out the bourbon but it also mutes the flavor a bit. I am not a fan of sodas as mixers. If I mix whiskey with anything I use apple or cherry cider. Mostly though it is poured straight into a small glass. And consumed just as it was bottled.

:confused1
It seems clear that I've given offence although I'm not entirely certain how (unless it's purely about Bulleit in particular?).

I never insulted bourbon in general, nor did I say that it was unpopular - that would be silly and untrue.

Perhaps I should clarify that I was not trying to imply that bourbon (or rye) "isn't whiskey" - merely that there are different types of whiskey and that it's useful to know the differences between them.

I was also trying to clarify that in when you walk into a bar and order 'whiskey' and refuse to clarify, what ends up in your glass will differ depending on where you are, i.e.
in many parts of the united states - a beverage made mostly (or purely) from corn.
in ireland - a triple-distilled beverage made from barley or wheat.
in the canadian prairies - a beverage made mostly (or entirely) from rye.
in india - a beverage made mostly from molasses (yes really).
in scotland - a beverage made from peated barley.
etc.

In short, I spent a lot of time trying to explain the following: When a name with a specific meaning (like rye or bourbon or scotch) is available, I encourage people to use it (rather than the more generic 'whiskey') since it makes everything more clear.

In the us, Whiskey only means that it's grain based, not sugar. Also except for corn whiskey it was aged in oak. If you go to a small distillery you may be able to find single grain whiskeys, quinoa, millet, sorghum, oat, wheat in addition to standard bourbon (51%corn) or rye (51% rye). If you want to see the legal definitions look up the BAM http://www.ttb.gov/beer/bam.shtml

An entey-level single malt Scotch whisky I recommend is the Aberfeldy 12. Best bang for your buck if you want a non-smoky whisky. It'll only set you back $50 and can be enjoyed neat or a few drops of water with minimal sting.

:confused1
It seems clear that I've given offence although I'm not entirely certain how (unless it's purely about Bulleit in particular?).

I never insulted bourbon in general, nor did I say that it was unpopular - that would be silly and untrue.

Perhaps I should clarify that I was not trying to imply that bourbon (or rye) "isn't whiskey" - merely that there are different types of whiskey and that it's useful to know the differences between them.

I was also trying to clarify that in when you walk into a bar and order 'whiskey' and refuse to clarify, what ends up in your glass will differ depending on where you are, i.e.
in many parts of the united states - a beverage made mostly (or purely) from corn.
in ireland - a triple-distilled beverage made from barley or wheat.
in the canadian prairies - a beverage made mostly (or entirely) from rye.
in india - a beverage made mostly from molasses (yes really).
in scotland - a beverage made from peated barley.
etc.

In short, I spent a lot of time trying to explain the following: When a name with a specific meaning (like rye or bourbon or scotch) is available, I encourage people to use it (rather than the more generic 'whiskey') since it makes everything more clear.

No hard feelings. I don't think you were trying to come off that way. I get what you're saying it just could be taken as you downplaying rye and bourbon as not real whiskey and that American Whiskey is an inferior spirit.

Also for someone looking for an inexpensive foray into the caramel wonders of whiskey Bulleit is a good place to start. You know you're stuff man I'll give you that!

No hard feelings. I don't think you were trying to come off that way. I get what you're saying it just could be taken as you downplaying rye and bourbon as not real whiskey and that American Whiskey is an inferior spirit.

Also for someone looking for an inexpensive foray into the caramel wonders of whiskey Bulleit is a good place to start. You know you're stuff man I'll give you that!

ok glad we're in the clear. :thumbup1:

I believe there are only two bourbons in my liquor cabinet right now - Woodford Reserve and Four Roses Small Batch. It's been a long time since I've done a direct taste-off so I can't recall which I liked more. I'd recommend either one in general but I don't know (i.e. no clue) whether they are a good starting point for a newbie.

Many apologies for being "that guy", I must correct you sir. Per Scottish law (yes, actual LEGAL DOCUMENTS) Scotch may contain only three things:

1) water
2) yeast
3) barley

Scotch must also be aged in oak barrels. No other wood is allowed.

Should any of the above not be met then the spirit is not allowed to be called Scotch, but must be called whiskey or some other derivative.

Otherwise nice amount of information. :)

Cheers

M.

I like Glenfiddich 12 year old single malt. If that is not smooth, go for the 18. As far as single malt scotch goes, IMHO, Glenfiddich is reasonable priced and better than half-way decent. Older is smoother. If you are just getting started, I would go single malt first. The blends may not be as smooth/enjoyable. A $5 fifth will not be smooth, but referred to as gut rot whisky. You get what you pay for

Is the OP still looking to this thread?

If you're wanting a starter bourbon at a decent price, I might suggest Makers Mark. Yes, it's a bit of a boring suggestion. And personally, it's not my favorite. But it is very smooth being a wheater, is easily available, and won't break the bank. If MM is too harsh for you, whiskey may just not be your drink. Nothing wrong with that either. Be yourself, drink what you like, and don't try to force yourself into something that doesn't fit you. There are many other manly spirits out there to enjoy.

Many apologies for being "that guy", I must correct you sir. Per Scottish law (yes, actual LEGAL DOCUMENTS) Scotch may contain only three things:

1) water
2) yeast
3) barley

Scotch must also be aged in oak barrels. No other wood is allowed.

Should any of the above not be met then the spirit is not allowed to be called Scotch, but must be called whiskey or some other derivative.

Otherwise nice amount of information. :)

Cheers

M.

No apology required, so long as you don't mind me turning it back on you. :tongue_sm

You are thinking of "Single Malt Scotch Whiskey".

from http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/2890/regulation/3/made :

(2) In these Regulations—
“Single Malt Scotch Whisky” means a Scotch Whisky that has been distilled in one or more
batches—
(a) at a single distillery;
(b) from water and malted barley without the addition of any other cereals; and
(c) in pot stills;
“Single Grain Scotch Whisky” means a Scotch Whisky that has been distilled at a single
distillery except—
(a) Single Malt Scotch Whisky; or
(b) a Blended Scotch Whisky;
“Blended Malt Scotch Whisky” means a blend of two or more Single Malt Scotch Whiskies
that have been distilled at more than one distillery;
“Blended Grain Scotch Whisky” means a blend of two or more Single Grain Scotch Whiskies
that have been distilled at more than one distillery; and
“Blended Scotch Whisky” means a blend of one or more Single Malt Scotch Whiskies with
one or more Single Grain Scotch Whiskies.

--> Note that "Single Grain Scotch Whiskey" does not have the "only water and barley" requirement.

I will acknowledge, however, that most people mentally translate 'Scotch' into 'Single Malt Scotch', so the confusion is understandable.

I'd start with a splash of water or ice. I did. Slowly worked my way to neat. Now I drink it all neat, even barrel proof.

And for bourbon, I'd start with something "easier". I'd say Eagle Rare or Makers 46. Makers Mark is usually a starter bourbon, but I'd think 46 is better and probably an easier sipper for a new person. For me though, while Makers was my first and I liked it, the first bourbon I really liked was Eagle Rare. ER isn't expensive.

For scotch, the first I had was Glenlivet 12 like many and wouldn't push anyone away from making that their first bottle. I'd also suggest Dahlwhinnie or Cardhu for another easy sipper to start with.

Top Bottom