What's new

Can you help identify this estate sale find

Hey all. I know nothing about pens but I found this at an estate sale in a 4 for $1 box and it was half off today so it cost me a grand total of 12.5 cents. I was looking for shaveing stuff but had to grab it. The only markings I see are Parker and Made in USA. Thanks in advance for the help
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
For $0.125, it was one heck of a deal. Do you know if it still works?

Edit:
NinthSphere beat me to the punch with identifying the pen.

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Seems to be dry but I don't really know what I'm doing. Guessing this would be a good starter pen

Congrats on your first fountain pen, then! Enjoy!

Syngent's Tutorial Guide is a nice place to go to start learning about fountain pens:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/347348-Video-Reference-and-Tutorial-Guides

YouTube personality SBREBrown gives a whimsical review of the Parker 45 if you want to learn a bit about the pen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NfKszB7IhI

Wow. Thanks for the quick reply

:a39:That hood is always a dead giveaway for a 45. Not my style, but by all accounts good pens. Can sometimes end up with impressions from the cap clutch though. You got a good deal for a metal body. Any chance it came with a converter?

:a39:That hood is always a dead giveaway for a 45. Not my style, but by all accounts good pens. Can sometimes end up with impressions from the cap clutch though. You got a good deal for a metal body. Any chance it came with a converter?
What is a converter?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
A converter allows you to fill the pen by sucking any color ink from a bottle instead of buying proprietary ink cartridges from Parker. Usually a squeeze type for your pen.

Congrats on the 45!

Fountain pens have several methods to store and deliver the ink to the nib. A converter is a reusable bladder for the ink. The 45 is very serviceable pen. You should be able to unscrew the opposite end from the cap and take another photo. We can then get it cleaned up to use.

You guys are amazing. Thanks for all the help. I've been able to figure out that it is a 45 Lady. Here are some pictures of the guts and nib
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Good pics! Yup, a squeeze converter.

I don't know enough about the Parker 45 to know what nib it is, I do know there were both gold and steel. I don't see 14K so maybe it's plated or marked down under the hood

Nice. Even better deal with a converter. Hard to judge from the scale, but maybe a fine. Wipe down & a good flush with water is in order.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Nice. Even better deal with a converter. Hard to judge from the scale, but maybe a fine. Wipe down & a good flush with water is in order.

It's a fine nib. If you look closely there is an "F" stamped into the underbelly of the hood (unless it's not the original nib).

Looks like a "F" on that nib in the 3rd photo. The nib also unscrews but its not necessary to do so to clean, unless you run into another issue.

Warm water soak to get everything loosened up and then you can flush it all out.

Congratulations.

Warm water soak to get everything loosened up and then you can flush it all out.

Just to clarify/confirm -- don't soak for all that long, especially with a vintage pen. Just enough to get things loosened up.

Congrats on the great find!

Top Bottom