What's new

Anyone have or getting a Fuji XPro2?

Last year I got a Fuji X100T to try out as a travel/carry camera. Eccentricities aside, I really like it: small, comfortable to use and best of all, great image quality. I bought the camera versus an XE2 because I wanted the combo OVF/EVF and was concerned that if I bought the one with interchangeable lens capability I would end up buying into yet another system. My only real gripe with the X100T is the focal length; I rarely shoot under 50mm and can't get used to the 35mm (effective) focal length. The camera's combination of fixed lens and sensor does give great results however. Images are very sharp and colors (esp with film simulation choices) are great; jpegs are good enough that I am rarely shooting RAW and can print beautifully up to 10 X 15.
That said, I'm interested in the XPro2 so that I can shoot with a 50mm lens and the higher resolution of the 24mp sensor. If anyone on here has an X100T and is able to compare the files to those from an XPro2, I'd be very interested in hearing your opinion. If the rendering of XPro2 is close to the X100T, I'll probably go for one. So much for avoiding another system!

XPro2 what a great camera from what I've gleaned off the internet, however at 4x cheaper the
XPro1 will take good enough photos for me. Presently I'm using an XE1 and it's fine for me.
Speaking of the X100T another super camera, but I'll save coin and get the X100S
Don't rule out the XT1 that camera is a real workhorse, I was hung up on the rangefinder size camera
but the more I look at the XT1 I'm thinking........maybe.......just maybe.
Oh yeah I like Fuji products.

Legion

Staff member
It has not hit the market yet, so anyone who has one has a pre-production loaner.

Unfortunately I am not that important, and fuji is yet to put one in my hands. Having said that, once I get a chance to test production model properly there is every chance I will buy one. I have been waiting for that camera for a long time.

The big question is... should I add the 56mm or the 90mm to the bill?

It has not hit the market yet, so anyone who has one has a pre-production loaner.

Unfortunately I am not that important, and fuji is yet to put one in my hands. Having said that, once I get a chance to test production model properly there is every chance I will buy one. I have been waiting for that camera for a long time.

The big question is... should I add the 56mm or the 90mm to the bill?

A good friend and photobuddy of mine has the XT-1 (X-T1)? and has a large array of lenses. The 56mm is a fantastic portrait lens. He also has a zoom, I think 55-200mm. But in reality, its the 56 and 35 that get used the most.

Legion

Staff member
A good friend and photobuddy of mine has the XT-1 (X-T1)? and has a large array of lenses. The 56mm is a fantastic portrait lens. He also has a zoom, I think 55-200mm. But in reality, its the 56 and 35 that get used the most.

Both are great. I have the 35, and access to both the 56mm versions. The 90mm is really good as well, and far enough focal length from the 60mm, which I already own...

Honestly, Fuji have not released a dog lens in the X mount so far. You can't go wrong.

I have one on pre-order. Unfortunately the original February 25th release date has been set back to March now due to unexpected initial demand.

Legion

Staff member
I have one on pre-order. Unfortunately the original February 25th release date has been set back to March now due to unexpected initial demand.

Always happens with those guys. One of the downsides to being made in Japan. The Japanese factories can't churn out as much product as the Chinese. In Australia we always end up getting a pretty small allocation, and it can be several months before we have a reliable supply. I think there was up to a five month waiting list when the X100 came out. That one kind of caught everyone by surprise.

I currently have and love a Fuji X-T10, so I plan on upgrading this or next year but I'll be waiting for the X-T2. I don't benefit from the X-Pro line much because I actually prefer the EVF over the OVF. I will have to make a difficult decision when the next X100 incarnation comes out though. I also prefer the 50mm FOV, but I carry the camera around so much more when it's compact and semi-pocketable.

I am looking forward to seeing one.

I currently use an X Pro-1 and X100S, and love them both. It would take a lot to get me to find good reason to abandon the Pro-1 for the Pro-2.

I happen to live in the same neighborhood as Fuji's headquarters, and have had a chance to shoot with the X-Pro 2. As a former X-Pro-1 owner, and a current shooter of the X100T, I am a big fan of Fuji's cameras and optics.

In terms of performance, it is not a great deal different from the X-Pro 1, which would be hard to surpass. What Fuji have done with the X-Pro 2 is to make it even more of a "Pro" camera. The first thing I noticed was the ISO setting, which is now set in the shutter speed dial, just like the old Minolta SRT series. No more buttons to push to set ISO, just lift up on the dial and turn it where you like it. Also interesting is a thumb-activated joystick on the back, which allows you to set AF points far more quickly than the X-Pro 1 (or any other camera). I also like the dual memory card slots. More than once I have had a memory card fail on me, and it is nice to be able to have an in-camera backup.

Another great improvement is focusing speed, which is on par with the X100T, and much faster than the X-Pro 1. I also did a comparison of the frame lines in the optical viewfinder, and found them to be more accurate than in the X-Pro 1, or the X100T.

All in all, it is a great camera. I am not sure if I will buy one yet, the X100T suits me as a carry-around camera, and my D700 is still my main travel and do-everything workhorse. But if you like Fuji cameras, you will love the X-Pro 2.

Only to say that it's been years since I've been this excited about a new camera release. In saying that, I don't expect it to be 6 - 12 months before finances and camera supply (and thus price reduction) converge to the point where buying one is a realistic option. I used several film rangefinders back in the day (including a Leica M3 & M4 though my favourite was actually a Canonet QL17 GIII; a fantastic camera) and loved the experience of using them. Since the Leica M9 was released I've never missed the opportunity to stop and stare lustily at them in the glass cabinets in camera stores but I've always known that short of a lottery win, I would never be purchasing one. However the X-Pro 2 ticks just about every box I've ever had for my dream camera that captures the experience of using a rangefinder in a modern digital and (almost) affordable package with great glass to boot.
In the meantime, I'm really enjoying reading and viewing initial reports from photographers lucky enough to have trialled pre-release examples and so far just every review I've come across has been very positive.

I forgot to add that the X-Pro 2 has a diopter adjustment. On the X-Pro 1 I had to use a Nikon screw-in diopter lens, but this won't be necessary with the X-Pro 2.

Legion

Staff member
Or do I wait for the XT-2.... Grrr. I prefer the form factor of the rangefinder style, but there are a couple of glaring omissions from this camera, and the only reason why they would do it is to create points of difference between the XP-2 and the XT-2.

For a camera which would and could have been the ultimate street photographers camera, the decision to not include a screen that tilts up is very silly, IMO.

I'm seriously considering the A6000/6300 or A7ii as my next step. Both the size and the quality of the new G-master lenses appeal. I do like the form factor of the Fuji though.

Legion

Staff member
Anybody got one yet?

I bought mine (and a 56mm) this week. I haven't shot anything serious with it yet, just playing and setting it all up, but it looks very promising. I'm pretty sure this will be my go-to camera for the foreseeable future.

Made a new strap for it as well... That's how I know it's a keeper.

Last edited:
Looking forward to your comments. As per my first post, I'm really curious about IQ and similarity to the look of the X100T files. If I were to get an XPro2 it would start with a 35mm (50mm equiv) and I would work around handling quirks to get the camera form/function and IQ; similar to my experience with the X100T. Also curious about your take on the film simulations, especially the Acros; I used to ignore this type of thing but found that the X100T simulations yield excellent JPEGS. I print (some) of my pictures and find that as I get older I try to spend less and less time behind the computer. I have been printing JPEG files from the X100T up to 10 X 15 with very minor tweaking and getting quite good results (and a beautiful color palette, to my eye). If the XPro2 files are similar in look, then I will be a buyer given the body style and larger sensor.

Legion

Staff member
OK, 1st test.

It was a nice day today, so I walked to the laundromat, and took the new camera and 56mm with me.

These shots are directly out of the camera with absolutely no PP whatsoever, save resizing them for the forum. JPEGS, Aperture priority, f1.2 (where I think I am just going to glue the aperture ring on this lens.)

Metering and colour are great (Cups and cat are Provia, leafs Velvia setting). Focuses quickly enough to shoot a stray kitten portrait, moving at F1.2. Dynamic range in JPEG, Amazeballs.

Negatives so far, poor viewfinder eye relief with glasses. And the bloody exposure comp wheel is not lockable, so just like my X-E1, it gets bumped out of place all the time, and you end up shooting two or three stops under, which you don't notice in the bright sun.

But so far I love this camera. The Fuji designers seem to think like photographers, rather than computer geeks. When they add or change something it is usually to make the picture taking better, rather than just cramming in pointless features because they can (Hello Olympus, I am looking at you...)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom