What's new

Anyone have or getting a Fuji XPro2?

Legion

Staff member
Knowing that this is out there is making me grumble every time I pick up the DSLR. Any further thoughts/feedbak?

It's a great camera. The only thing that would stop me getting one now is the fact that the XT2 is about to arrive. Personally, I think the Xpro2 is better for me, but if I was in any way interested in video, the XT will have 4k and a rotating screen. It will be a bit cheaper as well, since it does not have the hybrid viewfinder.

I've pretty much convinced myself to get an XPro2, just haven't been motivated enough, yet. The combo of the X100T and my Pentax DSLR's has the bases covered for the moment, logically speaking. We all know how well that goes....

It's a good camera, but it's almost as bulky as a mid-size DSLR. Besides, I'm not gonna spend nearly 2 grand (EUR1,800 here in Germany) for a crop-sensor camera. And the lenses are pretty expensive, too. For that money I'd rather get a Sony A7 II, which offers a full-size sensor with the same resolution, also a weather-sealed body and a wider choice of lenses since you can still use not only the new Sony/Zeiss lenses but the "old" Minolta lenses, too. And all the other manufacturers' lenses by using a (quite affordable) lens adaptor, but I assume that Fuji users have that option, too.

Legion

Staff member
It's a good camera, but it's almost as bulky as a mid-size DSLR. Besides, I'm not gonna spend nearly 2 grand (EUR1,800 here in Germany) for a crop-sensor camera. And the lenses are pretty expensive, too. For that money I'd rather get a Sony A7 II, which offers a full-size sensor with the same resolution, also a weather-sealed body and a wider choice of lenses since you can still use not only the new Sony/Zeiss lenses but the "old" Minolta lenses, too. And all the other manufacturers' lenses by using a (quite affordable) lens adaptor, but I assume that Fuji users have that option, too.

The old minolta lenses have what would later become a Sony A mount. The A7II has an E mount, so they will also need an adaptor to go on. They were also designed for film, so most of them look pretty average on a high quality sensor like that.

There are a number of advantages to a crop sensor, but the most obvious is lens size and quality. Compare the size of the Fuji 56mm f 1.2 to the Canon 85mm F1.2. Then compare the price. Then compare the sharpness, particularly wide open.

While the Sony A7II is a very nice camera, and small for a full frame, the lenses still have to be big. There is no getting around it. And compared with the new fuji sensor, the low light and dynamic range improvements are negligible.

And yes, compared to some mirrorless the X-Pro2 is big, but put a body and five lenses in a bag you have to carry all day, I'll choose that 9 times out of 10 compared to ANY full frame.

That's the good thing about variety: Everybody can pick and choose the things they prefer. :001_smile

You'd choose a Fuji APS-C, I'd rather have a Nikon D750 or Sony A7II with a couple of good lenses, of which I'd never carry more than two (1 on the camera, 1 spare) in my camera bag, perhaps a light carbon-fibre traveller's tripod. Long gone are the days when I roamed around with a photographer's backpack containing two camera bodies, five lenses, a flash unit, a variety of filters and an additional bag with a heavy, full-size tripod made from aluminium alloy. :lol:

Top Bottom