What's new

Tips on a Coat Hanger?

Hello all,
I am expanding my wardrobe and want to properly care for my new acquisitions. Any suggestions on some affordable wooden coat hangers that are durable enough for some heavy tweed?

​You know , I've noticed , it's hard to find good hangers period these days ! Cheap plastic junk is all that's easy to find , or tiny kid size metal , not the great wood , or standard large metal shirt hangers the cleaners used to supply (may still do , haven't check in a while) . Get GOOD Ones !!! ... and when you find them , let me know where to get some , the plastic is going to get trashed !

Hello all,
I am expanding my wardrobe and want to properly care for my new acquisitions. Any suggestions on some affordable wooden coat hangers that are durable enough for some heavy tweed?

... But you remember Joan Crawford , she says , No Wire Hangers , EVER ! ... hahaha !

<em>

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my wife's problem. Occasionally, new ones show up in the house. Where she gets them from, I do not know. She keeps wood ones in the closets and a few plastic in the laundry room for hanging damp things up to dry.

The main problem I have when shopping for hangers is that at some point "they" decided that there was a "standard size" for wooden hangars... a size which is significantly less broad than my shoulders!

This leads to funny 'bumps' in shirts, sweaters, coats, etc. from the ends of the hangars resting in the middle of my actual shoulders.

The hangars which I use for my really important coats are custom made ones handed down to me - they are real beautiful with gilt and decorative edging. I have been thinking that if I am ever going to have more 'proper' hangers I will need to either make them myself or have them made for me.

Making them myself shouldn't be too difficult, I mostly just need to find a router and enough time...

I use the more broad wooden hangers. I have had them so long that I have no idea where I got them. I just measured them, and they are 2 1/2 inches wide. They truly are suit hangers.

Yeah , I have the same problem , too narrow in the shoulder width , like women's or kid's sizes , no men's , but I'll find some ; it gets frustrating having shirts with bumps on the shoulders from tiny hangers ! I'm going to check several places , my brother travels around the world , I'll get the right size ! If all else fails surely a dry cleaners has hangers the right size , or can order them . But good cedar hangers last and are perfect for anything , trousers , coats , shirts , jackets , whatever . Perseverance is the key , they're out there , the trouble is finding them . They used to be so common ? What happened ?

The main problem I have when shopping for hangers is that at some point "they" decided that there was a "standard size" for wooden hangars... a size which is significantly less broad than my shoulders!

This leads to funny 'bumps' in shirts, sweaters, coats, etc. from the ends of the hangars resting in the middle of my actual shoulders.

The hangars which I use for my really important coats are custom made ones handed down to me - they are real beautiful with gilt and decorative edging. I have been thinking that if I am ever going to have more 'proper' hangers I will need to either make them myself or have them made for me.

Making them myself shouldn't be too difficult, I mostly just need to find a router and enough time...

Yeah , I have the same problem , too narrow in the shoulder width , like women's or kid's sizes , no men's , but I'll find some ; it gets frustrating having shirts with bumps on the shoulders from tiny hangers ! I'm going to check several places , my brother travels around the world , I'll get the right size ! If all else fails surely a dry cleaners has hangers the right size , or can order them . But good cedar hangers last and are perfect for anything , trousers , coats , shirts , jackets , whatever . Perseverance is the key , they're out there , the trouble is finding them . They used to be so common ? What happened ?

A quick google search yielded sellers of extra large hangers, 21", maybe 21.5", still too small?

dave

Top Bottom