What's new

Vie-Long Epsilon Horse Review and BIG problems with Shedding

I'm very pleased with my Vie Long Cachurro,

This little brush is my go to brush when I just want the feel of a great splay on my face. And, it's surprisingly sturdy doing it. I believe it's the genius behind the very long loft. Hits well beyond the price asked for it... if you seek it for its strengths.

/edit all that said, I felt I should note, don't mash any brush - especially in a cup. And splaying on the face can be done without mashing down to the roots . Something no one explained, and I had to learn as I learned! 2¢ worth.

Last edited:
I used my V-L 12750 today (brown hair) paying special attention to stiffness and soft tips. It definitely has backbone - not as much as my SOC boar, but more than my TAS best badger and WSP Silvertip. In fairness, TAS brush has a much less dense knot and it's lost a few hairs over the years. I've found my "holy grail" razors but the search continues for the brushes.

I used my V-L 12750 today (brown hair) paying special attention to stiffness and soft tips. It definitely has backbone - not as much as my SOC boar, but more than my TAS best badger and WSP Silvertip. In fairness, TAS brush has a much less dense knot and it's lost a few hairs over the years. I've found my "holy grail" razors but the search continues for the brushes.

I found my 12705 with 57mm loft to be not nearly as much backbone as my VL Epsilon with a 50mm loft

I have to measure my 12750 but it's reported to be 24x55. Knot is pretty dense but if Epsilon has a better knot (possibly denser?), wider knot (27 vs. 24) and less loft (50 vs. 55), then is should have more backbone. 12705 is a different animal still with less width and more loft than the 12750. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth getting another horse brush, and if so, whether the Epsilon is the one to get. Does anyone have experience with the Lord Randall?

well since you have the 12750, The Epsilon is going to have a lot more backbone. I'm not sure if that is what you are wanting.... a 27mmx50mm makes for a very dense brush.
That being said, the handle isn't ergonomically shaped for face lathering, it's beautiful tho! And flow thru is not as good because of the density. But it is a LOT of brush for the $40

speedwell,
don't forget the fan version, I was just using the bulb Epsilon today and while I haven't softened it nearly as much as I have the fan; it's still, well... firm and scrubby. More so I think than what I remembered the fan feeling like at that age in it's life.

well since you have the 12750, The Epsilon is going to have a lot more backbone. I'm not sure if that is what you are wanting.... a 27mmx50mm makes for a very dense brush.
That being said, the handle isn't ergonomically shaped for face lathering, it's beautiful tho! And flow thru is not as good because of the density. But it is a LOT of brush for the $40
This is helpful, thanks. My eventual goal is to find a stiffer replacement for my 12750 as I pretty much only face lather at this point.

speedwell,
don't forget the fan version, I was just using the bulb Epsilon today and while I haven't softened it nearly as much as I have the fan; it's still, well... firm and scrubby. More so I think than what I remembered the fan feeling like at that age in it's life.
Good point to mention. I don't currently own any fans but people say that they work better than a bulb for face lathering.

I love how soft my Vie-Long 14830 is (especially considering the price), but losing hairs has always been - and currently remains - a serious issue. Almost every time I lather a soap, I see a hair or two in the tub. A hair or two ends up on my face after face lathering, and using enough pressure to make the brush splay will always make it lose hairs. I've never had a brush so sensitive to too much pressure and the losing of hairs bothers me...but I still enjoy it a lot. The knot on mine looks about similar to yours, but I'd say yours has more mane hair while mine looks like it's got more tail hair. Perhaps the mane hair comes out much more easily since it's so thin? Your guess is as good as mine.

so ive used my two white eps all week and they seem good. I'll go back to the brown this weekend. these were bought last may iirc.

I bought a Vie Long 12750 for my father. He enjoyed the brush immensley, but never told me about its constant shedding. It wasn't until my Mother asked if it was normal, that I knew about it. I told her a few from time to time, however she told me at least 8-10 would shed after each use. I tried it for myself and my sink was full of them I counted 14, and threw it out. Replaced the brush for my father with Saville Row.

Very disappointed in its quality given the reviews and hype which is a shame. Besides the excessive shedding I thought the brush was an excellent performer for its price point.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for Juan with giftsandcare.com to replace my brush.... A month ago he told me to keep using it to see if the shedding slows, if not he'd send out another. After waiting the required time, I replied that the shedding is much worse now. Then he said he would notify the manufacturer of the problem and sending them the pictures and would get back to me. That was 2 weeks ago. At this point, I'm very unhappy with their customer service. They should have sent me out another brush or refunded me. I'm just supposed to sit back and wait until someone gets back to me.

The brush will drop 40 hairs when it's dry, just by me shaking it. it's like they forgot the glue.... Very poor workmanship imho

This pic is hairs that just shook out when it was completely dry.

$IMG_20160219_131226.jpg

Last edited:
It takes time , but G&F will get you straightened out.You are dealing with a business far ,far away,perhaps not even English speaking,but you will be treated fairly.All my Vie-Longs have been trouble free,however you can always get a dud.I had a very expensive Simpson Chubby 3 that lost at least 5 or 6 hundred hairs,so as in everything that is manufactured,occasionally a dud pops up...

Send your inquiry to, or make sure that this gentleman is made aware:

Mamen Guzmán Maldonado
e-mail: support @ giftsandcare.com
www.giftsandcare.com/en/
www.lapinceleria.com
https://twitter.com/GiftsandCare

I had some issues with an order (not their fault), and this gentleman bent over backwards so far to help me that he must still have road rash on the top of his head. I guarantee that if you figured in labor for half the time he spent on my order, they went backwards on the $40 Epsilon we were talking about. Anyway, between my experience and that of others on this site, I think you have an exception to the rule, not a method of doing business for them.

Good luck in getting your brush fixed.

The service provided by G&C is first class. Other vendors can learn a thing or two from G&C.

I would have provided the same advice as G&C. "Use it for a few more weeks and if it doesn't stop, then we'll look after you". That sounds fair enough to me. Some brushes will shed more than others - if it doesn't stop, then there is a problem.

Also - Hot tap water is too hot. "If the water is too hot for your face, then its too hot for your brush". I recommend using luke-warm water. If your hand can comfortably sit for long periods of time in the water used to soak your brush, then this is a sufficient temperature. Hot water is likely to cause some sort of expansion in the glue - which potentially means loss of hair or, the handle may also crack if its plastic or, the varnish/enamel might get affected due to the expansion/contraction caused by sudden changes in extreme temperatures (Oil-based sealants are not flexible - they will crack). Another thing - its OK to squeeze your brush, but at long as its very gentle. Otherwise, you risk loosening the hairs that are glued in to the knot. Giving your brush a few good shakes is probably a better method (YMMV). Make sure as much water as possible is shaken-out before it goes on your stand (a brush going through the drying process with excess moisture in the knot is also not a good practice).

Hope it helps. Have faith in Gifts & Care - You are in good hands.

Last edited:
Sorry! I have no experience with these brushes. Suggest you give things a it more time then contact the vendor again if no improvement. Best of luck!

If you wait another 6 weeks the shedding will surely stop; I don't think a single hair will be left in the knot by then..:001_huh:

I'm Finally getting some response from the vendor.... keeping my fingers crossed.... I think they saw this post...lol

Hi Kyle,

That's definitely not the usual behaviour of this brush so, the problem must be punctual with the glue. As you know, the shedding is normal but only a few hairs and it usually stops after a few weeks.

We do apologize for all inconveniences caused by this shedding issue and we will be pleased to send you a replacement.

We will send it via Postal Service and provide the racking details when available.

Should you have any queries, do not hesitate in contacting us.

Best Regards,

Mamen Guzmán Maldonado
e-mail: support @ giftsandcare.com
www.giftsandcare.com/en/
www.lapinceleria.com
https://twitter.com/GiftsandCare

Top Bottom