What's new

Fatboy February - 2016 Edition

Day 7 head shave 7
G-3 Fatboy wide open Gillette Silver Blue (7)
Rubberset 400 original knot
Vintage Williams
Avon Tribute

This was not only my 2nd Fatboy, but it was my 2nd DE. I found it at a thrift shop (The brush, Avon, and mug all came from the same place) it was in a Slim case. It is easily the nicest of my Fatboys it looks almost unused. It usually just stays clean and pretty, but it deserves to come out and play for Fatboy February. It is kind of an odd ball, because it is a G-3, but it still has the screw on retaining nut. They must have been using up some old parts that day at the factory.

Attachments

• $DSCF8677.jpg
    $DSCF8677.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 70
  • $DSCF7348.jpg
    $DSCF7348.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 71
  • $DSCF7347.jpg
    $DSCF7347.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 71
SOTD
Sneaky the E2
on 3
Gillette Nacet (7, Feb one-blade challenge)
Omega 10066
Haslinger Coconut (in a Seaforth mug)
Witch hazel w/lime added
Lucky Tiger
Stirling Lime ASB
Pinaud Clubman AS

Shave 7

'59 E3 Fatboy set to 4, Red Personna Israeli, 4th shave on this blade
Soap: Stirling Soap Company - Pharaoh's Dreamsicle
Brush: Rudy Vey custom w/ Shavemac 2 band silvertip knot
Aftershave: Stirling Bonaparte ASB

2 Pass shave, DFS+ no weepers, nice shave.

SOTD 2/7/16

Fatboy set on 6, Feather Blade
Brush: Semogue 610
Soap: Captain's Choice - North
Balm: Crew Colling Lotion

I got a couple of weepers. I think that I'll change the blade for the next shave.

I have some catching up to do with posting my shaves and a pleasant surprise as well.

SOTD
The 4th of February

F2 Fatboy 8 face 6 neck
New Voskhod blade
Older Wilkenson Brush
Saponifio Varesino soap in the Dolomiti scent
Lather built up in an old spice mug

Great bbs shave. Small nick and sting from the alum bar. WTG. XTG. ATG. ATG.

SOTD
6th of February a Saturday off of work but still wanted to be nice and smooth for a day out with my wife driving on the backroads of the county.

F2 Fatboy 8 face 6 neck
2nd shave on a Voskhod blade
Older Wilkenson Brush
Saponifio Varesino soap in the Dolomiti scent
Lather built up in an old spice mug
WTG. XTG. ATG. ATG.

We poked around a few antique shops we stumbled upon while driving around all day. Spotted an old Dutch Restaurant and Antique store. The antiques part of the store was a jumble of stuff. I eventually asked the old man if he had any razors. He rummaged around and pulled out a large freezer bag with stuff in it and said you can have this for 15$ (Canadian). I was able to get the required amount together after raiding the coin tray in the car of all it's dimes. Paid the man and left as fast as I could. Nancy was wondering why I was so giddy and go to leave. In the filthy bag was a fat boy, four British rockets, a King Razor, New Long Comb and a few other England made Gillette razors.

SOTD was with my newly sanitized, polished and cleaned E4 Fatboy and a 1959 Gillette Blue Blade also from the bag.
What a wonderful shave with those old blades.

$20160208_073249.jpg

Last edited:
This mornings shave was possibly the finest shave i have ever had in my life.
i woke up earlier then usual and had a bit more than 24 hours or growth going so i had myself a nice shave after my shower.

been liking my shark blades so i put a fresh one in the fatty and went at it.
i did my normal 3 passes and then a lite touch up and i have to say i could not stop faceturbating afterwords haha

i searched my face for those few spots that will always be there when you touch your face against the grain and they where not even there just smooth! it was a very rewarding feeling....it was not 100% but i would say 95% smooth as a babies butt!!
my best shave to date!

59 fatty set to magic #5
shark blade
chiseled face preshave
badger and blade 10th anny. essential boar brush
AOS ocean kelp cream in my scuttle
skipped my alum block because the shave was soo smooth and just use my Sherlock aftershave

i even remembered to take a pic

And you even got it framed. Nice job. :001_smile

Faceturbating.... seems to be a common thing amongst the crowd we keep on B&B. I wonder if others notice us doing it?

And you even got it framed. Nice job. :001_smile

Faceturbating.... seems to be a common thing amongst the crowd we keep on B&B. I wonder if others notice us doing it?

my woman notices when i do it.. she just laughs at me... but she has been known to touch my face to and calls it buttery smooth

Day 8 SOTD:
E-3 Fat Boy set on 5
Gillette Silver Blue blade
20mm TGN Finest banded badger set in a custom handle
WSP Gaelic Tweed Rustic Shaving Soap
Vintage Avon Aftershave Spice scent
$2016-02-07 22.51.39.jpg

Mixing it up a bit this morning:

The Legendary Katrina Razor-7
C&E Moroccan Myhrrh
Made Rite / TGN Finest fan
Avon Granite

$IMG_2047.jpg

After using the AOS for a year The C&E seemed lackluster in performance. The brush is one of my favorites since having the 24mm TGN finest fan transplant so that helped with the lather, but I think the softness of the synthetic I have been using for the last year has spoiled me. The Katrina Razor still sporting a Personna blade performed as usual, excellently. The Avon Granite, unfortunately is long discontinued or would be a contender for regular use. What remains of it I use sparingly now but the bottle is glass and pretty interesting. When it's all gone I'll find something else to decant into it.

I just realized that since I "settled" on this combination last Fatboy Feb. I haven't bought anything shave related during the year. If I didn't have a display cabinet containing my other stuff, mostly vintage, which looks nice on my bathroom wall I could divest myself of everything else and be quite content.

That's awesome. I'm not quite there yet, which is why I put myself on restraint for the year. I Still have a few razors I'd like to try, a couple of brushes, and a handful of soap vendors. I have started narrowing down which soap brands I enjoy the most, and I'm getting a pretty good idea of which scents to avoid, so I'm getting a little closer.

Feb 5th shave #4

Today I tried out a shark blade for the first time.
I must say I was impressed, it was sharp and very smooth I think they might start to give my swords a run for their money as my number 1 choice blade... but only time will tell.

Were they the Super Chromes or the Super Stainless? I've used both. The Chromes weren't too bad for me, but the Super Stainless blades are probably in my bottom 2 or 3 with the Indian Wilkies and Ladas.

Fatboy February, shave 2

This is always a busy month for me, and I always call behind in my shaves, sadly.

1959 Gillette Fatboy on 5.
Derby Extra, day two.
Semogue 1800
Proraso White pre shave cream.
Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated shaving cream.
Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated aftershave.
Lafe 6oz alum block.

I have to admit, this is a pretty good blade for me. I'm still very glad that I waited so long to try these and work on my technique. I'm still very interested to see how far this blade goes.

I just used one for a face shave this weekend. My face is usually more tolerant of blade selection, as I only do WTG, and usually only a single pass. The Derby did not feel very good this time though. My last couple are going into a sampler that I'm putting together to go in a PIF soon.

Today’s shave following hot shower:
Soap Works hemp oil pre-shave soap
Gillette 1960 F-1 Fatboy, set on 5
Astra superior platinum
Moss Hill Blue Soap
Made Rite 44 Brush
Aqua Velva Musk aftershave
$FB-MR44-MHB.jpg

Tonight I decided to do a mega-lather. I put a smidge of glycerin and a dollop of TOBS Eton College into my scuttle, then I loaded the Duke 3 with Mitchell's Wool Fat like the Russians were in Jersey!

I've always seen that referred to as Uber Lather.

Superlather = Soap + Cream
Uberlather = Soap + Cream + Glycerin
Mega Lather = ???

I like the term though. We should come up with something new. Saop + Cream + Glycerin + ??

Ideas anyone?

On a side note, got 2 other friends shaving with a DE now.

I've had minimal success.

Friend 1 was converted for a short while. He was already using a brush and cream from AoS, so I just introduced him to the safety razor with a Feather Popular, then a DE89. He stuck with it for a couple of months, and even admitted that he got far fewer ingrowns and a much closer shave while using it. But he couldn't keep from going ATG on his neck, and couldn't stop nicking himself while doing it. He finally settled on a beard.

Friend 2 used an MTO for a while, but isn't willing to take the time to learn to use it properly, or to migrate to brush and soap/cream yet. He just took in two foster boys that he and his wife are trying to adopt. It's been over 10 years since they've had any kids that young, much less now having 2 under 5, so I'm cutting him some slack.

Cousin has been converted for head shaving. I gifted him a pretty good starter setup for Christmas, and he's been using it a couple of times a week. Went well at first, started getting nicks when he got overconfident, but seems to be settling in. His hair is very similar to mine, so I think in a few months I might loan him something a little more aggressive to try out.

Damn fine shave! I really need to start taking pics for these posts

It's part of what keeps it interesting for me. I have about a 13" wide section of wall between my mirror and my window that I plan to put 3 or 4 shelves on. One of my shelves will be a little deeper than the others and will be reserved for my SOTD pics. My bathroom sink just isn't wide enough.

Top Bottom