What's new

Canned goop with a brush...

Hey all again, I just shaved again. I'm using the Aveeno shave gel (major improvement over other stuff I've tried), but this time I tried using it with the cheap boar brush I bought at CVS. I let the brush sit in the hot water for a few minutes, then shook out some of the water, then squeezed some gel into the brush and tried to lather my face. I had been told this would make the gel work much better.

However, all I got was a very watery, runny lather that probably wouldn't have protected my face at all. I tried adding more gel, but it didn't help much. I ended up just using lathering with my hands as usual.

So where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

Sounds like you started out with too much water in your brush. Shake it out pretty well, then splash some water on your face. Work the gel up a little in a mug or a bowl, then go to your face to continue. I haven't tried the Aveeno, but this works with Gillette Series gel. Some gels are just not made to lather; they will only turn slick and buttery. A brush won't do much for those.

If the local drug store is your only outlet for shave products and want to experiment with your new brush, invest a couple bucks on a....puck of williams or even better the glycerine VDH for about a buck. Practice and practice with soap water ratio and u will get it down. then move on the good stuff-TABAC baby!

I did pick up a williams puck, but I'm using the Aveeno just to get the hang of things for a little. So far I've been much more satisfied with it than other drug store goop cans...but I've been told to try it with a brush to make it even better...

Shave gels and brushes don't mix well. You need to try a lathering soap or cream with the brush. Then, you'll never go back to the goo.

==Tom

Hey all again, I just shaved again. I'm using the Aveeno shave gel (major improvement over other stuff I've tried), but this time I tried using it with the cheap boar brush I bought at CVS. I let the brush sit in the hot water for a few minutes, then shook out some of the water, then squeezed some gel into the brush and tried to lather my face. I had been told this would make the gel work much better.

However, all I got was a very watery, runny lather that probably wouldn't have protected my face at all. I tried adding more gel, but it didn't help much. I ended up just using lathering with my hands as usual.

So where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

Say! That sounds FUN! Next time, try dropping a toaster in the sink while you rinse your blade off in the bowl...toasters and water go together about as well as a CVS boar brush and Aveeno gel.

Think about the word GEL...the closest thing I can come to is JELLY. Go to your refrigerator, take out the jar of Welch's Grape Jelly, put a big dollop on a butter knife, and walk across the kitchen and into the living room without dropping any of it. If you drop it, pick it up in your hands and carry it around.

Simple experiment...but it proves that hands will carry gel around much easier than utensils.

Now take that Grape Jelly (which is truly designed to stick to itself more than to a tool), and see if you can get it to stick to the bottom of a broom-- then turn the broom upside down and try to paint some of it on the ceiling of your kitchen. (You DO live alone, don't you? hehehehehe) The results will be even worse. Now go out and soak the broom in a bucket of water for about 10 minutes, shake it out and try it again. Didn't work? Didn't think so.

The right brush, the right product. Try some VDH as suggested, some Williams, and practice. Until then, smear on the Aveeno as directed on can: "Wash face. Leave wet. Apply product."

Now go scrape the Jelly off the couch and add some peanut butter.

Shave gels and brushes don't mix well. You need to try a lathering soap or cream with the brush. Then, you'll never go back to the goo.

Reminds me of an old saying: "you can't polish a turd"...in short, go with the VDH or Williams. You also might read up on face lathering, it's the only way I lather. As always, YMMV.

+1 on the van der Hagen (VDH) shave soap. It's sold at CVS, Rite Aid, Walmart...etc. It's cheap, but it's very good. You won't have any trouble getting a lather with it. I like the Glycerin and the Deluxe (I never tried the Select).

$vdh1.jpgView attachment 22022View attachment 22023

Just figured I'd give an update. I've been shaving with Williams for the last week. Now that I sort of know what I'm doing with lathering, I went back to try the Aveeno.

Result=Negative

Tried it with little water and also with lots of water. The stuff is about as good as it gets for brushless, but it was not meant to be lathered.

Yeah you just had too much water in the brush. Try to squeeze all of it out first since the aveeno isnt meant to be mixed with alot of water.

trying to lather with almost no water didn't work very well...although I was using a bowl, on the face it might work a bit better. I think i'll just stick with better stuff now that I've seen the light. I'll probably try it again though when I'm in a pinch for time and don't have time to lather.

Aveeno, like all the can gels, is not designed to be used wet. As Norman says, they turn slick and buttery. Just file it in the bin!

I gotta chime in fellas. For a goo, Aveeno is good goo, maybe the best goo (but still goo). It is not, designed to be used with a brush. That is the only thing SWMBO would use until she tried my AOS and my C&E BBB.

canned gels aren't made to be used wet. it says on the back of the can to just slap it on yer face. not to be mean or anything but RTFM.

Top Bottom