What's new

Snowpocalypse, Snowmageddon, Snowzilla 2016

If it turns out to be a major snow storm it can be disruptive and potentially dangerous. However, in general I can't stand how news broadcasts are substituting predictions of rain or snow for real news and giving those types of things air time instead of real news.

Last night I caught the beginning of the CBS evening news and they were covering the predicted snow. Of course, that included the obligatory "people are scrambling to stock up on supplies" coverage. One woman in a store somewhere was complaining about the horrors of her shop running out of organic carrots. After I fell off my chair from laughing too hard, I realized I am not sensitive enough to her plight. What if she had to eat a non-organic carrot?

So, to make up for being such a monster, I am going to start an organization called "Organic Carrots Without Borders/Carottes Biologiques Sans Frontieres" in order to ensure that snowbound people have access to these important vegetables.

I don't have any experience delivering organic carrots in snowstorms. Any advice form B&B members will be greatly appreciated and will ensure you good karma.

:thumbup1:

This "issue" came up on TV news as well. They even dug out the "Stronger than the Storm" ad... It's snow, people.
Without getting into politics too much, it's not just snow, people.

It's hospitals without power. It's coastal flooding. It's downed power lines. It's blocked roads. It's multiple car pileups. It's people needing to be rescued. It's a shutdown and reschedling of all intrastate transportation. It's direction of state resources and emergency services to where they are most needed. It's being unable to communicate because phone lines are out and cell towers are overloaded.

To call over a foot of snow for a region that is unprepared for it as just snow is irresponsible. Even Thomas The Tank Engine learned to respect what he first called "silly wet stuff".

Last edited by a moderator:
Up here in Canada we just refer to weather like this as "up here in Canada" or "Wednesday".

Godspeed, gentlemen. This too shall pass.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand or like winter's anymore. Seems like a few weeks of autumn, then a freezing blizzard for a few days, more autumn, big snow and then BAM into summer!

If it turns out to be a major snow storm it can be disruptive and potentially dangerous. However, in general I can't stand how news broadcasts are substituting predictions of rain or snow for real news and giving those types of things air time instead of real news.

Last night I caught the beginning of the CBS evening news and they were covering the predicted snow. Of course, that included the obligatory "people are scrambling to stock up on supplies" coverage. One woman in a store somewhere was complaining about the horrors of her shop running out of organic carrots. After I fell off my chair from laughing too hard, I realized I am not sensitive enough to her plight. What if she had to eat a non-organic carrot?

So, to make up for being such a monster, I am going to start an organization called "Organic Carrots Without Borders/Carottes Biologiques Sans Frontieres" in order to ensure that snowbound people have access to these important vegetables.

I don't have any experience delivering organic carrots in snowstorms. Any advice form B&B members will be greatly appreciated and will ensure you good karma.

Give that woman an organic carrot and you'll feed her for a day. Teach her how to grow her own and you'll feed her for a lifetime.

My inlaws live in Maryland and it will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I grew up in Wisconsin, so snow is no big deal to me but I realize in that part of the country they arent exactly equipped to deal with that much snow.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Even in Canada 2' of the stuff is a bit much to deal with in a short period of time. Don' give yourself a heart attack doing your driveway. A bit at a time will get it done.

Even in Canada 2' of the stuff is a bit much to deal with in a short period of time. Don' give yourself a heart attack doing your driveway. A bit at a time will get it done.
I'm relying on my new muscles developed for sweeping at curling. Compared to 6 stones in a row that all need HAAAAARD!!!! help, snow should be no problem at all.

At the Tennessee/Alabama line midstate it is just barely above freezing and snowing silver dollar flakes that melt on the ground, but starting to cover the cars.

I picked up a round of that two for a fiver VDH soap at Walgreens on the way home and things were getting white above ground level when I got out.

2 to 4 inches here predicted with 6 inches just 40 miles north and piling it on in Tennessee all the way up to Kentucky. Brother is there and had three on the ground yesterday.

They let the schools out for a heavy rain here, no joke. The natives can't drive in this and they don't have much in the way of street and road equipment.

I walked to school in Kentucky in four inches of snow back in the day and had a cast on my ankle. We made snow men at recess. Child abuse now.

Another round of hot cocoa for my friends and ease up on whatever that is you are adding to it, I can't feel my nose,

Doublesharp

Without getting into politics too much, it's not just snow, people.

It's hospitals without power. It's coastal flooding. It's downed power lines. It's blocked roads. It's multiple car pileups. It's people needing to be rescued. It's a shutdown and reschedling of all intrastate transportation. It's direction of state resources and emergency services to where they are most needed. It's being unable to communicate because phone lines are out and cell towers are overloaded.

To call over a foot of snow for a region that is unprepared for it as just snow is irresponsible. Even Thomas The Tank Engine learned to respect what he first called "silly wet stuff".

Yes you are right, but it is still.... just some snow. Don't hospital backup generators work there like they do everywhere else? Do people in cities ONLY shop for the groceries they are going to eat that day? Do you NEED to be out driving in this weather? Or do you only NEED to be out driving in this weather because you didn't buy your one loaf of bread yesterday? Would cell towers be overloaded if blathering sheeple could handle being off line for five minutes of their lives? Is this the first time your power has ever gone out? What did you learn from the last time? ( not you specifically, of course.)

Yes, there are poor and elderly, young and dumb people that will need help. There are people that will have to get to work, and their life will be made difficult by the inevitable idiot stories we will see on TV. There are people that will lose power and struggle with no heat, and God forbid, the people who will freeze. The farther south the weather is bad, the sorrier in general I feel for people. You are having a big storm, and big storms suck a rock.

The thing about storms like this? You know they're coming, and they've happened before. But millions of people are gonna screw this one up too. Just like the last one. Standing around like turkeys drowning in a rainstorm, waiting for someone to rescue their idiot selves, because they can't prepare ahead or do anything for themselves.

Groundhog day.

Good luck to everybody who lives there, prepared for it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey for the first time ever I put my shovel and salt out on the the front porch.
I feel prepared. Or would be if I had more beer.

Here in Kentucky the TV weather guys haven't worn their suit coats since six o'clock this morning.

You know it's Serious Business when the suit coats come off.

Wife is three miles from home and they closed the road. I told her to come home four hours ago, but, well if you are married you know.

If I hadn't run the lawnmower dry for winter storage I could go get her in it.

Doublesharp

Here in Kentucky the TV weather guys haven't worn their suit coats since six o'clock this morning.

You know it's Serious Business when the suit coats come off.
They're in for the long haul.
And also laughing at the poor schmucks they sent outside to report LIVE on every parking lot and road and every main street pedestrian they can interview.

Top Bottom