What's new

More expensive = softer hair = better for sensitive skin?

I've been DE shaving for a while now. It will be two years in September. In this whole time, I've been using the same brush, a Vulfix that cost around $60. While it has been good to me, I'm wondering if I can do better.

I have very sensitive skin and sometimes lathering (usually for the second pass) with the brush makes my skin tingle or burn slightly. I'm wondering if a brush with softer hairs (silver tip?) would be less inclined to do this. If so, can anyone recommend an affordable soft haired brush?

More expensive does not necessarily mean softer tips. There are a number of very expensive brushes that have "scritchy tips," meaning they are less soft and exfolliate more. I would recommend looking at the Saville Row line of brushes from QED. Their silvertip series is ridiculously soft, and quite reasonably priced. When I lather with my 3318, it is like lathering with a cloud.

Quick side question though...What are you using to lather? What cream or soap? The brush may not be the source of your discomfort, or at least, not the complete source.

one thing you might try is a brush cleaning/renewing. emsplace.com has some good videos on cleaning your brush. two things she uses which will make your brush softer are hair conditioner and glycerin.

the videos show you the whole routine which takes about 10 minutes to do. it's easy and if you follow all the steps, you'll get a really clean and noticeably softer brush out of the bargain.

Try cleaning you brush, the info is here. If you are still dissatisfied try one of these. I bought a Shavemac 177 as a replacement for my Vulfix 2235 and it does a wonderful job of effortlessly creating lather with soaps. I don't know what you define as "affordable" but you can check Shavemac's prices here I feel that it is worth paying a bit more for something that will be in daily use for a decade or more if it does the job.

Try cleaning you brush, the info is here. If you are still dissatisfied try one of these. I bought a Shavemac 177 as a replacement for my Vulfix 2235 and it does a wonderful job of effortlessly creating lather with soaps. I don't know what you define as "affordable" but you can check Shavemac's prices here I feel that it is worth paying a bit more for something that will be in daily use for a decade or more if it does the job.

+1 I love my shavemac.#441. My face has never been happier!! What is your price range, if you don't mind me asking?

More expensive does not necessarily mean softer. A Rooney Finest is expensive but has a "scratcher" feel on the face. For a good brush with soft tips, Shavemac would be a good option.

What are you using to lather? What cream or soap? The brush may not be the source of your discomfort, or at least, not the complete source.

+1. Some soaps/creams can aggravate your skin. I find products with higher amounts of essential oils can cause some irritation especially on the second lathering.

One thing also that I don't think has been mentioned is that you shouldn't actually be lathering for anything but the first pass; do one pass, then just 'paint' on the residual lather for subsequent passes.

Also, I've found that certain soaps and to a lesser extent creams can irritate my skin if I leave them on for too long...

take in to consideration that softer brushes are usualy directed at cream, while with soap, you might want something stiffer,

The softest hairs on any brush I have used (IMO), are on the Rooney Silvertip ($65)/Super ($75)/Heritage ($130+) lines. These brushes also still have a good density/firmness, if that is important to you. The Saville Row Silvertips were just a hair less soft at the tips, IMO, but they're also less dense and in a bulb shape, so may be another option for you ($75+).

My all around favorite recommendation is the Rooney Style 1 or Style 3, small, silvertip ($65, classicshaving) or super ($75, vintagebladesllc or classicshaving), which will have exquisitely soft tips but still a great firmness.

I have very sensitive skin, to any scratchiness whatsoever. Best of luck.

J

Top Bottom