What's new

Boot Advice

Hey everyone,
I'm not quite to the point of purchasing anything, i'll have to get past the wedding/honeymoon first, but I've been doing some research on a new pair of boots. I want them to be Durable, Comfortable, and something as versatile as possible. I will post a list at the end of this post with links to the boots that I like. My feet are difficult to fit because they're a US size 9 in all the shoes i've owned to date, but I was sized at an 8EE by redwing, and a size 9-6E by New Balance. My instep is incredibly tall, and i have an average arch. When i went to get sized for running shoes the lady called me Fred Flintstone. This being said if any of these boots are notoriously Narrow, or have low insteps that would be nice to know.

The first boot is the Dayton Hard toe, which is a little more rugged and not so formal, but looks like it would work as an every day shoe due to my lack of true "formal" dress needs. For work I have been wearing New balance, and my attire is business professional...and since i'm allowed to wear new balance i'm sure that's probably stretched. My significant other says it's her favorite as well, so that's definitely a plus, and has heavy sway in the final decision due to her normal lack of an opinion. she seems to have to like something a whole lot before she'll offer an opinion.

the second is the Viborg Foreman, which is very aesthetically pleasing and has a reputation for being well made.

The third one is Danner which i appreciate as it's a local OR manufactured boot, though i've been told that their quality has been lacking the last few years. And the looks of this boot aren't quite as nice as the first two.

The last two boots are whites and Nicks which i've read have been sold, and have had possible QC problems as well.

Having done some research It looks like these will be the forerunners of everything i've found.

Dayton's Hard toe Toughie
http://www.daytonboots.com/collections/men/products/hard-toe-toughie?variant=2755813889

Viberg Forman
http://workboot.com/products/viberg-55-x-foreman

Danner- Forest Heights II. Something like the Rio Latino or piedmont.
http://www.danner.com/product/casual/forest-heights-ii-piedmont.html

Whites Semi-Formal horse Hide
http://www.bakershoe.com/product/horse-hide-semi-dress-whites

Nick's boots Roberts boot-
http://www.bakershoe.com/product/custom-roberts-nicks-boots

ok, being a fellow Oregonian lets see if I can help. got obsessed with whites and nicks boot about a year ago. your choices are very good to say the least. I own a great pair of bison white semi dress that fit perfectly from bakers in Eugene. ordered to fit my feet perfectly. almost no break in needed. second was a stock inventory pair of nicks Roberts shipped in two days from Spokane. gorgeous dressy shoes that fit my 11 ee foot again perfectly. have two more pair of nicks on order. it takes a minimum of 12 weeks to get them; I think a little more actually, I am at 13 1/2 weeks now. great boots are nice but fit is more important always. you are only 50 miles from one of the most respected people in the industry Kyle at Bakers Boots in Eugene, Or. visit him and have him fit you. he carries whites, nicks, danners et al and has returns and inventory. he also guarantees the fit and will take returns and get you the proper fit if necessary. northwest logging type boots have a pronounced arch built into the sole that is different than most red wing type boots. they also use lasts that fit feet differently. so rather than keep talking I would just tell you to pull up nicks websit or Bakersboots.com or just phone them and give them your needs. you will get a boot that can be resoled time and again that fits and lasts up to 20 years. some people order them off the web try for fit on stock and return for refund if not satisfied. just don't bend or scuff.

wow thanks! I had no idea that he was in OR. Somehow that little detail escaped me. I'm now planning on heading down south a little bit to check them out and talk to them, and hopefully at least this way we'll know what size of shoe i am officially and know a bit more of what would meet my needs. Thanks again, it looks like i have a little drive monday!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
With your "odd feet", I'd strongly suggest trying the boots in person. You could always take the Significant Other you spoke of for a romantic getaway in Vancouver and try on the Daytons in person (call them in advance to make sure they actually have stock on hand so you CAN do that) and ditto Victoria and Viberg ... with the Canadian dollar as weak as it is, this is a great time for a Canadian Holiday and Canadian boots.

With your "odd feet", I'd strongly suggest trying the boots in person. You could always take the Significant Other you spoke of for a romantic getaway in Vancouver and try on the Daytons in person (call them in advance to make sure they actually have stock on hand so you CAN do that) and ditto Victoria and Viberg ... with the Canadian dollar as weak as it is, this is a great time for a Canadian Holiday and Canadian boots.

that sounds like a really good idea, and then they'll be all the more special!

I noticed you don't mention Wesco boots or Alden boots in your post above. I own a few pairs of quality boots (Redwing, Wolverine, Whites, Wesco, Alden, etc) and have owned quite a few others in the past. Alden's and Wesco's are my favorite - Alden's are superb for casual/tough wear (if you're looking for tough in the Alden line - look at the Kudu Indy's with the rubber lug sole). If you want bomb proof, check out Wesco Jobmasters.

I do not understand the appeal of White's boots. My pair of semi-dress black cherry White's boots are the poorly built, and uncomfortable - particularly inexcusable as they were made based on drawings and measurements of my feet.

I noticed you don't mention Wesco boots or Alden boots in your post above. I own a few pairs of quality boots (Redwing, Wolverine, Whites, Wesco, Alden, etc) and have owned quite a few others in the past. Alden's and Wesco's are my favorite - Alden's are superb for casual/tough wear (if you're looking for tough in the Alden line - look at the Kudu Indy's with the rubber lug sole). If you want bomb proof, check out Wesco Jobmasters.

I do not understand the appeal of White's boots. My pair of semi-dress black cherry White's boots are the poorly built, and uncomfortable - particularly inexcusable as they were made based on drawings and measurements of my feet.

I found out after i made the post here that my mom purchased a pair of whites for riding, and based on measurements and drawings they gave her a pair of boots that don't fit. Trusting them, she wore them and bent the leather, and were unwilling to work with her to make them work.

As for Wesco looking them up now, i had no idea how customizable they are. I had only seen 10-12" boots in my search, and due to the size of my calfs they generally don't work well in that tall of boots. It says that the job master is designed for people who are on their feet all day, do you feel that this would be a comfortable enough option walking/standing on concrete for up to 16 hours? I appreciate the versatility of these boots in utility, and think they would be great in a 6” or 8”.

It might be preconceived notions that are getting in my way, but Alden boots seem to be Dress boots, in that they’re made to look good, and durability takes a back seat to that. In my quick internet research i did get the question “why do they call them indie boots” answered, and that gives them a few extra cool points.

Alden Indy 404 would be great for your use. Comfortable, tough, and look great. I have the 403, 404, and 405. I use the 403 & 405's as more of a dress boot. My 404's are worn to work a couple of days each week. Love them

With your "odd feet", I'd strongly suggest trying the boots in person.

This. I have a problem on the other end of the scale, with size 13 (my work overshoes are size 14). The last time I bought boots online, I was very disappointed with how they felt.

I found out after i made the post here that my mom purchased a pair of whites for riding, and based on measurements and drawings they gave her a pair of boots that don't fit. Trusting them, she wore them and bent the leather, and were unwilling to work with her to make them work.

As for Wesco looking them up now, i had no idea how customizable they are. I had only seen 10-12" boots in my search, and due to the size of my calfs they generally don't work well in that tall of boots. It says that the job master is designed for people who are on their feet all day, do you feel that this would be a comfortable enough option walking/standing on concrete for up to 16 hours? I appreciate the versatility of these boots in utility, and think they would be great in a 6” or 8”.

It might be preconceived notions that are getting in my way, but Alden boots seem to be Dress boots, in that they’re made to look good, and durability takes a back seat to that. In my quick internet research i did get the question “why do they call them indie boots” answered, and that gives them a few extra cool points.

Listen to Mike - the Alden Indy 404 would be my first recommendation as it's a super comfortable "standard boot." The Job Masters are built like tanks, are heavy and take time to break in. Once they're broken in, you definitely can stand on concrete all day in them, but if that were my purpose, i'd rather have the Indy 404's.

If I were going to pick a fight with an angry Paul Bunyan, chop trees down for a few hours to celebrate my victory, then follow it up by kicking a car out of the way of an elderly pedestrian in danger, i'd go with the Wesco's. The Wesco's are impractical for all but loggers, and the Dos Equis man.

If I were going to pick a fight with an angry Paul Bunyan, chop trees down for a few hours to celebrate my victory, then follow it up by kicking a car out of the way of an elderly pedestrian in danger, i'd go with the Wesco's.
man...now i really want to get a pair of those wesco's!

I too am searching for a versatile boot for work/casual.
I am leaning more and more to the wolverine 1000 mile boot. I own a pair of wolverine cabor epx wellingtons and they are extremely comfortable!
I also work on concrete floors 50+ hours a week and need something comfortable, durable but not too beefy.

Still reading/researching and more importantly saving up cause it seems my next pair of boots is gonna be spendy!

I too am searching for a versatile boot for work/casual.
I am leaning more and more to the wolverine 1000 mile boot. I own a pair of wolverine cabor epx wellingtons and they are extremely comfortable!
I also work on concrete floors 50+ hours a week and need something comfortable, durable but not too beefy.

Still reading/researching and more importantly saving up cause it seems my next pair of boots is gonna be spendy!
Alden Indy 404 you'll be glad you did

I noticed you don't mention Wesco boots or Alden boots in your post above.

Though the Wesco sound like a great pair of boots for the future, on days I do hiking, or outdoors activities, I believe I've At least narrowed it down to two kinds of boots. I very much like your suggestion of the Alden Indie boots, especially with a lighter colored flat waxed lace. However the Dayton boots seem to be a quality boot as well. They are also over 150 cheaper, and in 32 days i'll be getting Married, so I'm not sure what will be within the budget. It looks like we'll be able to spend some time up where the Dayton store is and i'll try them on and check them out in person.

I'll also stop by the local alden stores and see if they have any 404's in store, and get sized to find out if they're even built for me. At least the indie's are their widest last. This way I can have hands on both boots and maybe make a more informed decision.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions! I really appreciate your help.

Though the Wesco sound like a great pair of boots for the future, on days I do hiking, or outdoors activities, I believe I've At least narrowed it down to two kinds of boots. I very much like your suggestion of the Alden Indie boots, especially with a lighter colored flat waxed lace. However the Dayton boots seem to be a quality boot as well. They are also over 150 cheaper, and in 32 days i'll be getting Married, so I'm not sure what will be within the budget. It looks like we'll be able to spend some time up where the Dayton store is and i'll try them on and check them out in person.

I'll also stop by the local alden stores and see if they have any 404's in store, and get sized to find out if they're even built for me. At least the indie's are their widest last. This way I can have hands on both boots and maybe make a more informed decision.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions! I really appreciate your help.

The $150 would be well spent. Remember, if you treat these right, you can get 20+ years out of them. $7.50 a year for a better product? Easy trade off.

The $150 would be well spent. Remember, if you treat these right, you can get 20+ years out of them. $7.50 a year for a better product? Easy trade off.
we both know this, I just hope that i sound convincing enough to the soon to be wife. I think i'll go get sized by one of the alden stores tomorrow, and see what they say. Thanks Joel, I appreciate your input. I might have to cite you in my discussion, 'but honey, Joel said it's a great pair of boots."

we both know this, I just hope that i sound convincing enough to the soon to be wife. I think i'll go get sized by one of the alden stores tomorrow, and see what they say. Thanks Joel, I appreciate your input. I might have to cite you in my discussion, 'but honey, Joel said it's a great pair of boots."

You've got one last big move left my friend... play it well.

proxy.php

Off all the boots mentioned, I would recommend the Aldens. Most versatile by far and several lasts (Trubalance and Barrie) will work well with your foot shape. I have a plain toe in chromexcel and that boot will outlive me if you have any concerns about durability. Nice thing about many of the Aldens is that you can dress them up and wear with a sport coat just as easily as with jeans.

Of the ones you included links for, none seemed to work for dressing up. I liked the Danner but it drives me crazy how they emblazon their name on the heel.

Yeah, if you think it's difficult to convince her now...just wait until after you say I Do. That's a completely different conversation. Get the 404's and tell her marriage is walking down a different path...pun intended

Top Bottom