What's new

Dilemma, personal present, go big or keep it easy on the pocket book?

I want to get my bride to be a pen with our names and our wedding date engraved on it.

Would you go big and get like a m800 Pelikan or go smaller and go like a 400? I don't think it would get used and I want to get matching ones. Joke of it all, no matter which pen it is, it will be more expensive than our rings. Funny story, different forum!

But would you spend a lot of money on a pen you wouldn't want to use? I mean I would want to use it- mine could be a desk only pen but she doesn't have a desk... What say you all?

The M800 is a fairly large pen. I would think that just from an ergonomic standpoint the M400 would be a great choice. I have an M200 with a gold nib up grade, and find the pen perfect. The M400 wouldn't be anything to sneeze at. I say go for the M400 just out of the gut feeling that the size will be more suitable to a ladies' hand. If it fits her hand well, she's more likely to enjoy using it.

My 2¢.

A Pelikan Souveran pen is a lot of money for something you may not use.

That said, in terms of size, I actually think the M600 is the best because it's truly "in between." Men or women can use it comfortably, and it's still small enough to be tucked away.

The M800 has the more impressive nib however, and just looks more impressive because it's full-size.

strop

Now half as wise
How about something truly one of a kind (or two of a kind) and get something custom from Edison.

playing the practical DA here...

If she doesn't use an FP now, will she after you buy it?
If it's designed as a desk FP and she doesn't have a desk, where will she keep it?
Will it be consigned to be stored in the back of the sock drawer an hour after she sincerely says "Oh CJBD, it's wonderful! I will love it forever!"?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
M800 is pretty big for a woman's hand. It's actually just a little large for me - I prefer the M600.

Will she use it? It's hard to predict the future.

If she woudn't use a fountain pen, what about a ballpoint or mechanical pencil? You might look at splitting a set instead of two of the same.

edit: Or, you know, not necessarily an actual set, but of the same line.

Last edited:
Oh, she uses fountain pens. She loves the TWSBI Mini I got her one year for Christmas- I don't know how much she would want to use a pen that was that sentimental to her. I have another 8 months before the wedding to figure this all out.

Loving the Edison idea. Just don't want cartridge converter pens so that leaves a the Beaumont Pneumatics and any of the pump filling models.

I'm leaning towards the Menlo pump fillers at the moment. Thoughts? :)

Depends how big her hands are. The M800 is a bit big and because of the brass piston may also be a bit heavy for her as even some guys feel that way. If she does like larger pens, you can compromise and get an M600 but even an M200 or M400 could be appropriate. It's really a personal thing. Even though I love the idea of a brass piston, for me I prefer the M600 myself.

As for buying a FP for someone who doesn't use them, I'm not sure I would buy something that expensive. I actually bought mine a Waterman Hemisphere as a Valentines Day gift just to test the waters and see if she'll even end up using it on a regular basis since she has never owned or used one before. If she does end up using it, then it gives me more options for giving her another fountain pen in the future.

Yeah, I think you should just test the waters with a cheaper pen first. An Edison pump filler is going to be as expensive as an M600....without the gold nib. I looked into them several months ago and while I don't doubt they make nice pens, $350 for a Signature Line pen with a custom filling mechanism...he should throw in a gold nib upgrade for free at that price. IMO, anyway.

The lady uses fountain pens! she carries a TWBSI Mini and a Kaweco sport everywhere. After watching a comparison video on size I figured a Pearlette pump would fit her hand better. If I went Edison, I would go steel nibs. The reviews between the steel and gold don't make me want to spend extra on gold since both write like nails and are tuned before leaving the shop.

Year Update ;)

Ordered the pen in November. Was told 16-18 weeks and got pen Yesterday just in time for her birthday. Would have loved giving it to her as a wedding present but she loved having it be her Christmas/Wedding/Birthday :)

I [strike]blame[/strike] thank @strop for the Edison idea. :) Thanks!

strop

Now half as wise
I gave one to my son for Christmas. Brian was great to work with. Can't wait to see what he orders!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Year Update ;)

Ordered the pen in November. Was told 16-18 weeks and got pen Yesterday just in time for her birthday. Would have loved giving it to her as a wedding present but she loved having it be her Christmas/Wedding/Birthday :)

I [strike]blame[/strike] thank @strop for the Edison idea. :) Thanks!

Glad it worked out ... I had visions of this ...

proxy.php

Top Bottom