What's new

Frito Pie

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If you think about it Frito Pie is something put together with very cheap and ready ingredients. and I think it is a regional thing. In Texas and many parts of the west Frito pie is poor man's food. Fritos USED to be dirt cheap, and chili ingredients were cheap too.

Where I grew up and where I live now Frito Pie is almost unheard of. We have these instead

proxy.php

Navajo Tacos mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Invented by a Greek Hotel owner in Window Rock out of left over chili and fry bread.

The price on Fritos is ridiculous, especially with the smaller bags you now get.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's a quirky cook. The chili recipe is suspect but you get the picture:

Last edited by a moderator:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The price on Fritos is ridiculous, especially with the smaller bags you now get.

I couldn't find the small bags in the supermarket, only the 10 oz bags. I bet convenience stores carry the small ones. I bought this 10 oz lightly salted bag for $2.50:

$fritos-lightly-salted.png

I have chili with cheddar in the fridge right now (at work). I have a ziplock of lettuce. I have a bag of fritos. Is it noon yet?

Okay. I can't take it anymore. I may have to do this quick and dirty with some pre-made stuff. This sounds too good and may be lunch for today.

PS, the lettuce was good on there... added a different texture and a bit of freshness to the heavy meal!

And they thought I was crazy... :tongue_sm

If you think about it Frito Pie is something put together with very cheap and ready ingredients. and I think it is a regional thing. In Texas and many parts of the west Frito pie is poor man's food. Fritos USED to be dirt cheap, and chili ingredients were cheap too.

Where I grew up and where I live now Frito Pie is almost unheard of. We have these instead

proxy.php

Navajo Tacos mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Invented by a Greek Hotel owner in Window Rock out of left over chili and fry bread.
This looks awesome. Navajo fry bread is divine.

We been making them for years at our concession stands. I got them going back to making them in the bag it saves on those paper boats.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh that chili looks soooo good, Aaron. I had a frito pie a couple of days ago with...wait for it...Wolf Brand Chili!

When I was a kid my cousin and I would put an empty can of Wolf Brand Chili on a fence post and shoot at the wolf on the label with a .22. We got pretty good at hitting the wolf.

I had a coney tonight with about the last of my buffalo chili; it's good with the chile peppers I put in it but it's a little dry now...needs some more juice. I've been thinkin' about adding some...gasp...tomato sauce to it.

Any suggestions Aaron?

Top Bottom