What's new

Good Hair Gel or Wax?

I use either garnier fructis surfer hair or american crew leave in conditioner which has pretty decent hold, shiny wet look, soft and obviously washes out easily.

Can I get American Crew stuff in major chains?

I got this Dep Hair Polish here and jeez its HORRIBLE

If you have an Ulta, Sephora or other Salon type retailer near by, they will have a large variety of products. I would stay away from the products you can get in a Walmart or Target. (the exception to the rule would be American Crew, and Fructis)

Found exactly what you're looking for!! Just bought some today and tried it out - VO5 gel wax - excellent stuff!!!!! holds like gel but has the texture of wax

I have very thick stubborn hair so take that into account! I have tried so many different waxes, gels etc over the years.

I think I have tried Trevor Sorbie wax of some kind. Can't remember too much so it can't have been great!
Dax has very good hold but is impossible to wash out of your hair.
The V05 extreme rework fibre putty is very good too but it brings me out in spots :mad:

I found some great stuff in Oz/NZ called Urchin which is brilliant, smells really good, great hold, everything. I just can't find it over here :frown:

The stuff I am using at the moment is Moosehead defining paste from Boots (UK). Smells quite like the Urchin actually, good hold, not too greasy, reasonable price, washes out easily and doesn't give me spots either. :lol: I just finished a pot and replaced it which is always a good sign!

Found this stuff at my local target. They had several different tubs, any idea which one is best? I'm still looking for an alternative to the American Crew Fibre I'm used to. I tried Redken Rough clay and it's pretty good, washes out way easier than the AC stuff, but it's pretty $$ and I'm looking for a less expensive replacement.

You don't mention your hair length, but when I wore a shorter brushcut/flattop style, there was a product called "Rad Crew Groom" . . . tub of sticky yellow wax that was a bit hard to get off my hands, but very good on hair. Once it warmed, there was a lot of shine, good control, and the stickiness went away. Only took a little tiny dab, too.

I'm pretty sure it'd hold anything from a pompadour to a Mohawk in place. Got it at a beauty supply.

NANP™

+1 on the american crew stuff. I've had a small tub of the styling wax for about 2 or 3 years, and haven't run out yet. It doesn't give the same rock-solid hold as a gel, but I have really curly hair and it holds it in place just fine.

Top Bottom