What's new

Why no tallow based soaps?

I really, really like tallow based soaps. They work so much better for me than glycerin and vegetable oil based soaps. This means that I am pretty much limited to Tabac & Speick. (MWF gets mentioned sometimes but is hard to find) While I LOVE both of those soaps, I do get bored with them from time to time and would love more options. The big question is why do none of our resident soap makers produce tallow based soaps? None from QED, mamabear, honeybee, SCS, etc. Why? Are they just too difficult to make? Too dangerous to work with?

Joe

Have a look here. This woman makes tallow-based soaps in a number of different fragrances, some of which are EO-based (she even has a "Cannabis" scent but something tells me it's not EO-based :eek:).

I haven't tried her wares; perhaps some other, more seasoned members of this forum have.

IIRC, Erasmic (soap) is also tallow based. There should be a list of tallow soaps around here somewhere, but I dont' have the time to search right now.

D.R. Harris and the Penhaligon's English Fern currently available are tallow based. Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet still has tallow, but it's farther down on the ingredient list than it used to be. I haven't yet heard reports of a reformulated English Fern, but I imagine it's coming. Art of Shaving is tallow based as is the Valobra (the rumored maker of the AoS soaps) and Arko shaving sticks.

Aren't the following soaps tallow based?

• Penhaligons
  • D.R. Harris
  • GFT
  • T&H
  • TOBS
  • C&E
  • AOS
  • Pre de Provence
  • Provence Sante
  • Arko

I don't think Valobra is either:

About Valobra:

These hand-crafted, Italian soaps are made using methods unchanged since the 18th century. The soapmakers season pure soap base for four to six months; hard mill the soap six times with vegetable oils, pure essential oils, and vitamins; then gently hand wrap each beautiful bar with original vintage packaging.

Joe

• Penhaligons
  • D.R. Harris
  • GFT
  • T&H
  • TOBS
  • C&E
  • AOS
  • Pre de Provence
  • Provence Sante
  • Arko

Pre de Provence and Provence Sante are Shea butter based not tallow based, as far as the others go, not sure.

• Penhaligons
  • D.R. Harris
  • GFT
  • T&H
  • TOBS
  • C&E
  • AOS
  • Pre de Provence
  • Provence Sante
  • Arko

• Penhaligons, Yes and somewhat yes
  • D.R. Harris, Yes
  • GFT, Not any more
  • T&H, Not any more
  • TOBS, No
  • C&E, Not any more
  • AOS, Yes
  • Pre de Provence, No
  • Provence Sante, No
  • Arko, Yes

I don't think Valobra is either:

Joe

Valobra is and isn't depending on which "soap" you are talking about.

Shave Stick ingredients: Sodium Tallowate, Aqua, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera, Lecithin, Parfum, Petrolatum, Zea Mays, Tocopheryl Acetate, C.I. 77891

Soft Cream Soap ingredients: Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Stearate, Glycerin, Palmitic Acid, Sodium Cocoate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Cocos Nucifera, Parfum.

Back to the original question...why?
I have three theories:
1. Glycerin melt and pour is easier than actually "making" soap
2. It's chic to be vegan or vegetarian (old Indian word for poor hunter)
3. Worries about mad cow disease
I think mad cow is probably the main reason the English soap makers have stopped using tallow.

Well hello
My ears were burning and I had to come here to figure out why. Thanks for the heads up Mark.
My shave creams are tallow based. I have yet to develop a hard shaving soap that I am satisfied with enough to market, but am still working on it. Yes it will be tallow based and I think I am getting closer. Just about everything else on the site is veg. The hard (body) soaps are veg based but I have no problem doing tallow if you special order. Check out the commission a batch if you are interested.
I am small scale. I make everything in my kitchen from scratch. I specialize in custom orders/scents. If there is something you want but don't see let me know, I try to accomodate.
Don't knock the melt and pour gurus. NOT as easy as it sounds and I guarantee what you eventually get is very different (please infer better here) from the base purchased.
Hi Jay. Thanks for the endorsment. Check your e-mail. Have some fragrances you may like and found the Jasmine you were looking for.
Cannabis....FRAGRANCE! Not EO.
Always available for questions.
Jean
MyTimeBathandBody.com

Have a look here. This woman makes tallow-based soaps in a number of different fragrances, some of which are EO-based (she even has a "Cannabis" scent but something tells me it's not EO-based :eek:).

I haven't tried her wares; perhaps some other, more seasoned members of this forum have.

Well, I would like if the left the Cannabis EO on the side in a vial and I will add to the soap or bong at my discretion. Hell maybe just leave in unscented:w00t:

Well hello
My ears were burning and I had to come here to figure out why. Thanks for the heads up Mark.
My shave creams are tallow based. I have yet to develop a hard shaving soap that I am satisfied with enough to market, but am still working on it. Yes it will be tallow based and I think I am getting closer. Just about everything else on the site is veg. The hard (body) soaps are veg based but I have no problem doing tallow if you special order. Check out the commission a batch if you are interested.
I am small scale. I make everything in my kitchen from scratch. I specialize in custom orders/scents. If there is something you want but don't see let me know, I try to accomodate.
Don't knock the melt and pour gurus. NOT as easy as it sounds and I guarantee what you eventually get is very different (please infer better here) from the base purchased.
Hi Jay. Thanks for the endorsment. Check your e-mail. Have some fragrances you may like and found the Jasmine you were looking for.
Cannabis....FRAGRANCE! Not EO.
Always available for questions.
Jean
MyTimeBathandBody.com

Welcome to B&B; BTW, you sure your middle name isn't Sue?

Well, I would like if the left the Cannabis EO on the side in a vial and I will add to the soap or bong at my discretion. Hell maybe just leave in unscented:w00t:

:lol::lol::lol:

Top Bottom