What's new

Why no tallow based soaps?

Then all me to ask this for sake of discussion: which non-tallow based soaps have you tried until now? :smile:

All of the Trumpers offerings except for Coconut. Taylors Sandalwood, Truefitt & Hill Luxury Shaving Soap, Floris, Gold-Dachs Spezial/Rivivage, Van Der Hagen (both the glycerine and the tan-colored soap), Col Conk's (Amber, Lime), Valobra Almond soft soap brick, couple of the various Sues, and a couple of the Classic soaps. And the ghastly Proraso soft soap. May have forgotten one or two more - after awhile they all blur together.

Tallow soaps I've used include MWF, Penhaligons (all), D. R. Harris (all but Marlborough), Valobra almond shave stick, AoS (all), Tabac, Williams. I don't know if Marvy is tallow based, but it sucks anyway.

I've been doing this long enough that I've gone though whole pucks of several of these, so my opinion isn't based on a "shaved once and didn't like it" kind of experience. But anyway, I like a variety of tallow and veggie hard soaps, but have yet to find a glycerine soap I enjoy shaving with. My favorite soaps are pre-reformulation Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet (tallow), Gold-Dachs Spezial/Rivivage (veggie), Trumpers Limes (veggie), and Harris Arlington (tallow). AoS and Valobra tallow-based soaps aren't bad but perform too much like a cream for my tastes.

I'm pretty sure you can still get tallow based GFT - I've been to both, Pasteurs and Cambridge chemists, and both have what I think is tallow based GFT Rose soap in a bowl.

I thought Trumpers switched to veggie back in the early 80's? At least that's what several of the long-term Trumpers users over on SMF claim. I quite like the current Trumpers soaps, but from what they say the old Trumpers were the equal of the pre-reformulation Penhaligons.

man, since I saw that bourbon vanilla it is the only soap I can think about... Pretty sure I know where my next order will be from...

Olivia's soap is Tallow based. (and a Damm fine soap it is) It is listed as a cream but thats not quite right- its a soft soap.This is more than likely a language issue.

Cool. Thanks Jim. I added it to the wiki.

Joe

man, since I saw that bourbon vanilla it is the only soap I can think about... Pretty sure I know where my next order will be from...

I just met Jean to pick up some soap. She is a super nice person & very passionate about her soap!

I have a nice tub of Almond Blossom sitting right in front of me. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. Very exciting!! :biggrin:

Joe

I just met Jean to pick up some soap. She is a super nice person & very passionate about her soap!

I have a nice tub of Almond Blossom sitting right in front of me. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. Very exciting!! :biggrin:

Joe

Excellent. Do let us know what you think of it. I'm contemplating ordering some of her Cannabis scented cream. :rolleyes:

Excellent. Do let us know what you think of it. I'm contemplating ordering some of her Cannabis scented cream. :rolleyes:

I will definitely report back.

She brought me a sample of the cannabis fragrance. I must say that it smells almost, but not entirely, unlike cannabis. More of a woody, peppery, minty, smoky kind of thing.... Hard to describe.

She also gave me sample of the unscented & sandalwood soaps and some of the tobacco flower fragrance. The sandalwood is nice and sweet and the tobacco is really quite amazing, floral and "clean". :biggrin:

Joe

Sorry for the delay. :blush:

She gave me three different creams. I'm experimenting with them, face lather vs. bowl, amount of cream, different creams, etc... I'll post a review in the next few days, I promise.

As a tease... The scents are FANTASTIC!

Joe

I just received my order this morning, and I'm planning on testing one out tomorrow. I ordered a tub of orange and a tub of clary sage...both smell better than any other cream I've used, and I'm not exaggerating. She also included testers of menthol (I requested the strongest), and bay rum (which smells remarkably like Ogallala. I'm really looking forward to trying these things out, I'll let you gentlemen know what I find!

My Time Bath & Body Shaving Soap

So I've spent a few days trying this soap out. I've built many test bowls of three different samples and also tried face lathering as well as several shaves.

To start, the scents are fantastic! :biggrin: Really just awesome. The base soap itself has a very satisfying aroma that blends very well with the Almond & Sandalwood I tried. The scent is nice and strong and stays with you for some time after shaving.

I have sensitive skin and found zero irritation or burning from the cream.

I did find that for me there is a very narrow "sweet spot" in regard to how much water was needed to get a good lather. I found it somewhat difficult to get a good lather going. Too little water gave a thick paste, just a few drops too much and it would go runny. I was pleased with the results once in the sweet spot. Overall I found the performance to be good, but not quite as slick and protective as Tabac or a cream from one of the three T's but better than a lot of others. There was some blade skipping and the glide was a bit "sticky" in places. It was not drying at all and left my skin feeling good.

Man, did I mention the scents? :001_smile

Definitely worth trying if you are into tallow based soaps.

Joe

It looks like they are primarily Palm Oil with some added tallow. The primary ingredient on the label shown on SMF is sodium palmate. Can you confirm this on yours?

Thanks,
Joe

i'll take a look and post it here

EDIT: Your are tight. Tallow is listed second on the label. Palmate is first

Hi All,
It was a post by someone on this forum ( I apologize but I can't remember who), that caused me to order some of Jean's shaving cream. Hehe, whoever that was....thank you.
I found this stuff to be a bit different than Joe's experience, and also similar in some ways. Two of the three scents I ordered were both 'medium' in strength, but one was almost unscented, and had just a hint of a woody note.
It also took me a few times to figure out the lather, but by the third shave that was taken care of. I found that about one teaspoon of soap and one tablespoon of hot water added to a bowl was the right amount to start with when mixed with a fairly damp brush. The stuff whips up lather really easy, and the 'tiny bubble' stage takes only a minute or so to reach.
Starting with the third shave, I loved the results. Very slick....no pulling at all. The kind of shave when you go by sound, more than feel. Hehe, sometimes there's just nothing to be felt, but you can always HEAR those whiskers being whacked. Yeah, I was pleased with this shaving cream. Actually, I found myself taking chances I knew I shouldn't be taking, which was dumb. I have a small place on my right cheek that has a kinda crop circle pattern...heh. I was gliding the razor effortlessly over spots I shoulda been more careful with. And......I got just a little careless...actually must have gone sideways for just half a second. Never going sideways was a rule I knew about, and this half inch, faintly red line is barely visible and will be gone tomorrow. Still, it wasn't the perfect shave of the day. Didn't even know I'd done that until I saw a tinge of pink in my lather. I don't usually see anything but fluffy whiteness, and I figured it for a tiny weeper (which I deserved). I had to laugh when I saw that almost invisible line on my cheek, knowing I'd dodged a bullet there. Yeah, coulda been worse. Let me stress this had NOTHING to do with the cream's performance..except maybe it made me too cocky......heh.
Anyway, my face felt very good after my 4+ passes. Like Joe, I had zero irritation, and my face felt refreshed. I liked it a good bit, and will be ordering more. Jean was a pleasure to deal with, and shipping was quick. Price is very reasonable also...a 5 ounce tub for under $10. I'm also asking for a few more fragrance vials to sample as well.
Martin

'vegetarian', is an old Indian word for non-violent and humane.

Back to the original question...why?
I have three theories:
1. Glycerin melt and pour is easier than actually "making" soap
2. It's chic to be vegan or vegetarian (old Indian word for poor hunter)
3. Worries about mad cow disease
I think mad cow is probably the main reason the English soap makers have stopped using tallow.

You guys forgot to include Williams as tallow based :biggrin1:

Btw, as far as pennhaligons saying that cutting tallow is a way to keep costs down: thats complete BS. I'm sure they use better fat than williams, but if williams can do it at $1.50 a puck, pennhaligons can do it for $40 a puck. Its not like they compete on price point anyway. Nobody buys Pennhaligons because it is a bargain bin soap

Top Bottom